Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,215,255 times

Advertisements

But these links you cited including the Department of Labor state $40,000 and $45,000.

Those commercial sites like salary.com and indeed and payscale are often way off--they do not really show any methodology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,071,779 times
That is why I gave so many options. Average it out then. BTW, I used Indeed.com to come up with the CO figures.

Out of all them, I would go with the US Census. FL is not so below the national average no matter how you look at it.

Makes me laugh when people insist that all the jobs in FL are low paying or fast food jobs.

FL is not perfect, never was. However, its a great place to live if you can balance out the positives/negatives and make a decision on what fits you best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
But these links you cited including the Department of Labor state $40,000 and $45,000.

Those commercial sites like salary.com and indeed and payscale are often way off--they do not really show any methodology.

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 11-03-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 05:05 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,584,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your thinking is extremely narrow minded as you continue to focus on one segment of the economy which does not occur in most states in this country, to with: high tech.

As far as fast food, here is an indication on where they are most dense and therefore would have the highest amount of workers in that industry.

Most Fast Food Per Person and Other Food Facts | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural

I would assume you know that Floridians have an average annual salary of $57,000.00.

Surely you are aware that 19 states have a lower average wage than Florida.

The fact is average salaries for job postings in Florida are 6% lower than average salaries for job postings nationwide. Not a huge difference.
No, not "narrow minded" just a realist when it comes to things Florida lags behind at. Florida's bread and butter is low paying tourism and service jobs...Rick Scott's attempt to lure High Tech companies is not working in the Southern Half of the state.

Your averages are off, average salary in Florida is $40,930.

Florida - May 2012 OES State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Average annual salary in Florida ranks low nationally - South Florida Business Journal

Old 11-03-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Just wondering where the $57,000 figure came from. I've always seen the average Florida salary as being closer to $40,000, as stated in this article:

Average annual salary in Florida ranks low nationally - South Florida Business Journal

and

Although this data was printed in 2012, has the average salary risen by $17,000 in one year?
Your spot on...but some people still think Florida is a high wage state...no income taxes means your rolling in the dough right?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
The problem is that 20 years ago the Florida economy was perfectly suited for lower median incomes. Growing up the majority of people I remembered were either native or long time Floridians or out of state retirees. Either way, most people could afford to survive with less. Than in the past 20 years the population has exploded with people moving here, not just to retire, but to make a living. Unfortunately, incomes have not risen at the same rate as cost of living. It's just matter of simple economics of supply not meeting demand.
Very much so, South Florida use to be more affordable for average wage earners, no more. Those days are over. Other parts of the state vary, but even with a lower COL the salaries tend to be relative.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:20 PM

S. Fl is in a world of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
No, not "narrow minded" just a realist when it comes to things Florida lags behind at. Florida's bread and butter is low paying tourism and service jobs...Rick Scott's attempt to lure High Tech companies is not working in the Southern Half of the state.

Your averages are off, average salary in Florida is $40,930.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,873,225 times
Why are some ppl so caught up in "so many low paying jobs"... be better than that, get an education and make $40k or $45k or whatever it is. I know, easier said than done, but I don't make minimum wage, so why should I let the ppl that make minimum wage affect me?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,274,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Your spot on...but some people still think Florida is a high wage state...no income taxes means your rolling in the dough right?
I doubt anyone think FL is a high wage state lol. If anything, it's a moderate wage state with low taxes but a housing col that has definitely increased since the 90s

Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,319,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Average salaries for job postings in Colorado are 12% lower than average salaries for job postings nationwide. Florida is 6% lower than the national average. The average salary in CO is $54,000.00
while FL is $57,000.00

The August 13 unemployment rates are the same for each state, 7%

The state income tax rate in CO is 4.3 percent
The state income tax rate in FL is zero.
Denver also has a city/county income tax.
And your getting your numbers from where, exactly?

Never the less, Colorado also relies on tourism to employ large swaths of its population. Millions travel there each year to take advantage of the endless out doors activities that the state offers.

The state income tax provides great things for that state. It provides funding for the state parks and keeping the infrastructure through the mountains in good condition. The light rail that exists in Denver (which is expanding rapidly) will never be able to exist in Florida.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 PM

See my posting of the links were the numbers came from.

Surely CO has a large tourism trade, not a large as Florida's but it is there.

I guess you didnt know that Metrorail and Tri-Rail already exist. Have you heard of "SUNRAIL"?

I am sure the state income provides a lot of good for Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
And your getting your numbers from where, exactly?

Never the less, Colorado also relies on tourism to employ large swaths of its population. Millions travel there each year to take advantage of the endless out doors activities that the state offers.

The state income tax provides great things for that state. It provides funding for the state parks and keeping the infrastructure through the mountains in good condition. The light rail that exists in Denver (which is expanding rapidly) will never be able to exist in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida