Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
1-Compared to other states, it is cheap. In Weston, a good home goes for around $330,000 in some areas. The same home would go for 700k back on Long Island.
2-Schools are good. Miami-Dade has fantastic magnet programs, and Broward, and Palm Beach have top 500 in many areas such as Boca Raton, Parkland, Weston, and Palmetto Bay.
3-It is diverse. It has so many different cultures down there, and of course the food associated with it.
4-You are never more than an hour from some of the most beautiful beaches in the country, like South Beach.
5-It has the best mass transit in the state. While that is not a huge accomplishment, you have many different types of transit, like light rail, heavy rail, and buses.
6-It has the most dynamic city in the state. Miami is the most entertaining, and interesting city in Florida. You have all of the big 4, 3 big concert arenas, the beach, and fantastic restaurants.
7-Finally, it has easy access to other areas, like the keys, the caribbean, and through the airport, NY, DC, Atlanta ETC.
1. Weston is a terrible area which used to be a swamp. Considering the average income in Fl is less than 50,000 a year those "homes" are overpriced. Weston is in the boondocks and has inadequate roads to connect with the urban areas.

2. Florida schools are like everything else Florida, an overpriced joke. Billions in taxes are wasted on Big Brother's indoctrination camps. Floriduh is a laughing stock.

3. Diversity is a code name for "we dumped our crooks and desperate poor on you". It also keeps the population divided so the politicians can steal with impunity.

4. South Beach is an overpriced dump where you sit in traffic waiting for a non existent place to park. A man made sand bar built on landfill, with sinking roads bathed in salt water at high tide.

5. The Broward and Palm Beach bus system is a joke and no better than any city the same size. Miami-Dade transit only covers the eastern part of the county and is too unreliable to go anywhere, except for Dadeland to downtown, maybe now the airport.

6. Miami is nothing but a center of money laundering and asset pumping. Once the Federal Reserve is forced to stop printing 85 billion + of free money all that useless entertainment and the idle rich who support it will evaporate.

7. Any city with a port/airport has this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 12:50 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,822,565 times
I'm with you TallRick, especially on #3. I think diversity is sooooo overrated. ppl dont seem to get along/appreciate one another, and you also have the different cultures and customs that are weird or come off as realy rude, but they may not even know any better.

In East Orlando, where I used to live, I used to see a certain demographic roll down their window and throw crap onto the street. Like literally stop in traffic in Avalon Park, come to a stop or crawl, open window/door, and throw a McDonalds bag filled with trash, cups, empty ketchup packets, etc. I saw this quite a few times, and I dont see ppl like me or my family members doing such things.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:36 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,962,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm with you TallRick, especially on #3. I think diversity is sooooo overrated. ppl dont seem to get along/appreciate one another, and you also have the different cultures and customs that are weird or come off as realy rude, but they may not even know any better.

In East Orlando, where I used to live, I used to see a certain demographic roll down their window and throw crap onto the street. Like literally stop in traffic in Avalon Park, come to a stop or crawl, open window/door, and throw a McDonalds bag filled with trash, cups, empty ketchup packets, etc. I saw this quite a few times, and I dont see ppl like me or my family members doing such things.
That's short sighted. People of every race and nationality do it. You have a bias my friend.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:40 PM

Harry, I am telling you based on my observations, not going with the assumption "that everyone does it". I'm telling you what I saw. You may not agree or like it, I'm just telling you who I saw doing what. It is what it is. I live in Oviedo now, and I dont see it like I did there.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:48 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,962,542 times
Quote:
Harry, I am telling you based on my observations, not going with the assumption "that everyone does it". I'm telling you what I saw. You may not agree or like it, I'm just telling you who I saw doing what. It is what it is. I live in Oviedo now, and I dont see it like I did there.
Go to a neighborhood composed of the same race as yourself inhabited by those of the same socio-economic class as the people you saw littering. Same thing. It's a problem rooted in poverty, ignorance, and attitude.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Avalon Park isnt trailer paradise. It's homes in the $300-500k range (back then, not sure what it is now)... Driving an Acura or Maxima. We're not talking poverty-stricken area here man. It's the mentality, rather than waiting and throwing it away at home or in a trash can. It's the mentality and the impatience, and me-me-me. And again, now that I'm in a different area, it's totally different.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:24 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,215,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
2. Florida schools are like everything else Florida, an overpriced joke. Billions in taxes are wasted on Big Brother's indoctrination camps. Floriduh is a laughing stock.
Actually, the only joke is the legions of posters like yourself who are completely misinformed on FL school rankings.

We spend near the bottom on education and get outcomes close to the average among states. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Perhaps you'd like to move up north so you can pay more in property taxes if you don't like the schools here.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
Im sorry but there certainly is a big difference on schools, but at this point I will just keep them to myself....My daughter is ahead here than her friends in Florida, they are in 8th grade in Boca and have not learned what she has here.. NC curriculum is the Common Core Personally I hate it.. they implemented in last year and when she came in she was behind in a few subjects especially in Math and Reading/Language Arts...

Now this is a Nice Thread so again lets stay on Topic sorry for getting off topic

Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,346,872 times
Quote:
Avalon Park isnt trailer paradise. It's homes in the $300-500k range (back then, not sure what it is now)... Driving an Acura or Maxima. We're not talking poverty-stricken area here man. It's the mentality, rather than waiting and throwing it away at home or in a trash can. It's the mentality and the impatience, and me-me-me. And again, now that I'm in a different area, it's totally different.
Avalon Park is close to Bithlo...but I see what you're saying.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 PM

It's close to Bithlo, yes. Two totally different places. If you live in Orlando area you know they are different in every way possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida