Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Well Sunny, I think the fact that The United States extorted Florida from Spain gives Spanish speaking people a stake in the place; they were here long before the Anglos were. Note that when England was given Florida in 1763 as a result of the Seven Years War most of the Spanish population (including the Spanish Blacks) evacuated to Cuba. Now they're back. The wheel turns.

Note too that in the 1760s the English brought into Florida Catalan and Spanish speaking Minorcans. And the descendants of those Minorcans are still around up here. We English speakers share the New World with Spanish, Portugese and French speaking peoples, all of whom predate the English. I suggest you reconcile yourself to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:56 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well Sunny, I think the fact that The United States extorted Florida from Spain gives Spanish speaking people a stake in the place; they were here long before the Anglos were. Note that when England was given Florida in 1763 as a result of the Seven Years War most of the Spanish population (including the Spanish Blacks) evacuated to Cuba. Now they're back. The wheel turns.

Note too that in the 1760s the English brought into Florida Catalan and Spanish speaking Minorcans. And the descendants of those Minorcans are still around up here. We English speakers share the New World with Spanish, Portugese and French speaking peoples, all of whom predate the English. I suggest you reconcile yourself to that.
And who did the spanish extort it from? Maybe we should all brush up on obscure native dialects.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:15 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Wow, so SW Fl is better then the rest of Florida because of its culture, LBGT crap, multi language usage?

Hardly what really makes an area actually better.

SW culture is more non American then it is American.

We are an English speaking country and now some thrive on forcing Americans who speak English to learn Spanish to communicate when it should be Spanish speaking people should be learning and forced to learn and read English.

If anything SW Fl is beautiful for sure but the things some post here make it the worse part of Florida in my opinion.

Please explain in better terms what makes SW FL the best part of the state other then pushing the social bs crap as some have.

Try it without using the social "we have a right" bs and actually post some statistics to prove yourself without personal opinions such as it has a thriving LGBT and the love of all things illegal.

Try getting a gas pump to work around the Miami area... LOL

We stopped for gas and the pump would not work. So we went inside to ask for help. Not one single idiot inside spoke any English. The man behind me had to tell me what in the heck they were saying to me.

Ridiculous they are working in America and cannot speak English at all. No English no public job period.

My goodness now I have to carry a book around in SW Fl to even understand the bs I have to listen to.
1-Then you have the rest of the state to promote your American "Family values"
2-You know this country was founded on imagrants right?
3-It is SE Florida,
4-The US does NOT have an official language,
5-Besides diversity (Which you obviously hate), where did I mention social issues?

Last edited by LIFL; 12-03-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Sunny, I think you meant SE FL, not SW FL.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:48 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Wow, so SW Fl is better then the rest of Florida because of its culture, LBGT crap, multi language usage?

Try getting a gas pump to work around the Miami area... LOL

We stopped for gas and the pump would not work. So we went inside to ask for help. Not one single idiot inside spoke any English. The man behind me had to tell me what in the heck they were saying to me.

Ridiculous they are working in America and cannot speak English at all. No English no public job period.

My goodness now I have to carry a book around in SW Fl to even understand the bs I have to listen to.

I ASSUME you meant SE Florida? There are now language translators available for free on smart phones thanks to those liberal 'commies' in Silicon Valley.. And yes I agree with you on Miami. Not my cup of tea either.. In case you didn't know Little Havana and surrounding hoods still has many right wing old Cubans with very limited English skills still around fighting yesterdays battle who are on your side politically. One might have owned that gas station you stopped at. Just imagine Ted Cruz's dad if he lived down there instead his entire life. Think you made the right choice in going to the Bay Area, the best part of the state IMHO..

Old 12-03-2013, 04:35 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Miami Heat player robbed, just saw it on the news. Inside a restaurant (INSIDE A RESTAURANT!) and shots were reportedly fired too! Go South FL!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
And who did the spanish extort it from? Maybe we should all brush up on obscure native dialects.
Why the Spanish extorted it from Indians (and not Seminoles either). Which means I defend the right of anyone in Florida to speak Timucua, Apalachee, Calusa etc. Which is unlikely as the original Florida Indian nations are extinct. But if some modern Florida Indian wants to speak Miccosukee or Creek I think it's his right to do so. The bass player from Jacksonville's arguably best band, Blackfoot, is a Creek.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 12-03-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I misspoke when I said Manatee. I actually meant Sarasota. You're right, Manatee does suck. Seminole, Sarasota St Johns and Brevard are near the top. I got my rankings from here:

https://app2.fldoe.org/Ranking/Districts/
Manatee is a B, so not sure why that sucks, but whatever. I have a friend who is a legal immigrant from El Salvador. She is very industrious and bright, as is her daughter who went to public school in Manatee. The daughter got all A's and won a scholarship to Cornell University. She graduated from the university with a 4.0, and now has a very good and well-paying career in NYC. On the other hand, I have another friend whose son went to private Catholic elementary and public high school in Sarasota. After high school, he tried a Nascar type mechanic school in North Carolina, but did not like it and dropped out. Now he is going to a community college and wants to be a cop.

I think that in general, "education" has a whole lot more to do with the parents, the culture and the student's individual motivation, than what geographical area the school is. And considering how badly US education compares with the rest of the world, aside from a few states that excel, I'm not sure it matters where a school education is obtained. Considering that Americans do not want to put more of an investment in education, the future does not look bright.

U.S. students lag around average on international science, math and reading test - The Washington Post

Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Manatee is a B, so not sure why that sucks, but whatever. I have a friend who is a legal immigrant from El Salvador. She is very industrious and bright, as is her daughter who went to public school in Manatee. The daughter got all A's and won a scholarship to Cornell University. She graduated from the university with a 4.0, and now has a very good and well-paying career in NYC. On the other hand, I have another friend whose son went to private Catholic elementary and public high school in Sarasota. After high school, he tried a Nascar type mechanic school in North Carolina, but did not like it and dropped out. Now he is going to a community college and wants to be a cop.

I think that in general, "education" has a whole lot more to do with the parents, the culture and the student's individual motivation, than what geographical area the school is. And considering how badly US education compares with the rest of the world, aside from a few states that excel, I'm not sure it matters where a school education is obtained. Considering that Americans do not want to put more of an investment in education, the future does not look bright.

U.S. students lag around average on international science, math and reading test - The Washington Post
That's very true

Old 12-03-2013, 06:47 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Miami Heat player robbed, just saw it on the news. Inside a restaurant (INSIDE A RESTAURANT!) and shots were reportedly fired too! Go South FL!
Yup. And apparently it's the third time in a year this has happened to the heat. And people say that Orlando is the most unsafe city in FL

Miami Heat guard Roger Mason Jr. robbed at Miami restaurant - chicagotribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida