Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:54 PM

48 posts, read 145,586 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Florida sometime hopefully in the near future, but I'm torn as to where I want to be. I'm looking for opinions as to why you think Fort Myers would be better than Fort Lauderdale or why Fort Lauderdale would be better than Fort Myers.

I've always loved Fort Lauderdale and I like that it's close to Miami/Miami Beach, but yet far enough away. I'm a RN and I know that Broward Health is a really good system to work in and would love to be part of it if I decided to go in that direction.

I've been to Fort Myers multiple times, the most recent being in October. I forgot how much I like the area. I wasn't old enough to go out and enjoy it as much the times I had visited before and this time took full advantage of a car and everything I could do. I know that Lee Memorial is also a really good health system and would also love to be part of that one.

So now is where I ask your opinion on both areas, good, bad, or otherwise and also your thoughts good, bad, or otherwise on either health system if you know anything. I have friends that live close to both areas so I would know a couple people within a short driving distance so that doesn't affect my decision either way.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,534 times
Fort Lauderdale. You are close to Miami, and the beach, and is a much more vibrant area. Fort Myers is where you retire to.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times
My wife and I had the same issues when looking to move to Florida...in that we could not decide between Sarasota on the west coast and Fort Lauderdale/Miami area on the east coast...we ended up in Jupiter which is on the east coast in Palm Beach County...basically, we could not afford what we liked in Fort Lauderdale...and I think you will find that the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area is more expensive to live in than any area on either coast...

We put 2 to 3 weeks a year over a 5 year period investigating where we wanted to move to...before making a decision...and when looking we found that the east coast - especially Fort Lauderdale/Miami area - has a faster pace than anywhere on the west coast...it is also more expensive...and you will find more residents from the north east - MA, NJ, NY, PA, RI - that have located to the east coast...

Try these sites for moving info www.myflorida.com www.stateofflorida.com these sites will give you information that you will eventually need and www.listingbook.com will give you information on what's for sale in the area.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the information. I will definitely check out those sites. I do know that it would definitely be more affordable to live on the west coast as opposed to ftl/mia area, which makes me lean a little more towards Fort Myers.

I don't know that I really want to live in a fast paced area, I mean I don't want to be bored out of my mind, but I want to be able to enjoy myself without constantly fighting traffic, etc. I also currently live around the Green Bay area which isn't all that fast paced...not much to do, but that's Wisconsin in general.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM

57 posts, read 124,976 times
You must be my long lost twin! Lol...I'm moving to FL next summer and it was either going to be one of those 2 cities for me.

I chose Ft Myers because it just seems a little easier on the finances than Ft Lauderdale. Lauderdale is definitely more of the party town. I can just take a little road trip over there when I need a weekend getaway. :-)

Old 12-02-2013, 05:12 PM

Road trip to Fort Lauderdale is definitely easy to do. I actually did it on my last trip down there in October to visit a friend. You can always head to Fort Myers Beach if you are looking for some fun on the weekends...from what I remember it was quite a good time lol. The financial aspect is playing a big part in where I will decided to go and it is much cheaper in Fort Myers.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 PM

389 posts, read 662,463 times
You'd probably be comfortable in our Fort Lauderdale townhouse complex -- next-door neighbor is a Wisconsin native and Packers fan who flies his green-and-gold flag before and during every game.

Seriously, it sounds like you're leaning in one direction, but here's what it comes down to: If you like the idea of a three-county major metro area with 5.5 million people and big-city amenities, Fort Lauderdale is the choice. If you'd prefer a smaller area with a less frenetic pace and fewer urban problems, Fort Myers would be a good fit. You'd need to make a bigger salary in Fort Lauderdale to defray the higher cost of living; if the pay is the same in both areas, you'd be able to keep more of your hard-earned money in Fort Myers. If you do choose the west coast, Fort Lauderdale is an easy drive and certainly a fine place to visit.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:50 AM

I didn't mention I'm moving to get away from Packer fans? Lol not really, but there are a surprising number of Packer fans down there. A lot of the people I met last time down there were fans and my best friend instantly bonded with them. I don't watch football. Living fairly close to Green Bay I've realized it's a HUGE obsession and you can't turn on the tv anytime of the year and not hear about the damn Packers. I'm into basketball and a Miami Heat fan.

I'm definitely leaning more towards Fort Myers, and it will probably be where I end up. I've always been so set on Fort Lauderdale until this last trip. I guess change isn't such a bad things sometimes.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
As far as beauty Ft Lauderdale hands down the winner.

From post here it is expensive area to live in but well like if you dont have kids.

Ft Myers to me being a gulf coast lover more then the ocean side is the Dirty Daytona of the gulf side.

Dont care much for the Ft Myers area myself along with Cape Coral.

I like the beaches on the gulf side and most of the cities on the gulf side better. Cleaner, nicer etc.

Then comes Ft Lauderdale, one of my favorite beaches in Florida but the post here indicate expensive, too close to Miami and that alone would keep me from moving to that area.

Rent--- Do not buy for the first year.

Then again being an RN it can come down to jobs.

Why Ft Myers? Why not Clearwater/Tampa/Sarasota etc area?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
The biggest difference is the large volume of traffic/people in S FL(Miami/Ft Lauderdale). S FL is a very large metro area. There are more highrises, more people, more jobs, more traffic and also more restaurants and things to do.

The west coast of FL is much less crowded.

If you aren't used to gridlock traffic, S FL can drive you crazy.

They are both great...just different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida