Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 AM

66 posts, read 320,092 times

Advertisements

I vote for the nice breeze on the east coast in South Florida which keeps things cooler in the summertime.

But I agree with some of the other posts that the water on the west coast and the panhandle is very nice - that great aqua blue color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 04:32 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.k-la View Post
swed40 that is not a "dumb" question, that is very legitimate question. Heck, anyone out of state has a right to ask that question (such as myself), let alone out of continent. Anyways, I have a question regarding ocean water temperature during the summer. What is the water temperature around Jacksonville Beach in the summer (or any beach in North-Central Florida)? I was just in Cocoa Beach a week ago and the water temperature was around 70F which is really warm compared to our water temperature up here near Vancouver (like 48F), also, when do you consider it to cold to swim???

70F is too cold to swim I don`t even bother unless the water is over 80.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:46 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Please let us know what statistics you are basing that the water is "a lot cleaner" in the panhandle. I had heard both Pensacola and Mobile, Al. were notorious for releasing partially treated sewage into the waters.

From Pensacola News: "The ECUA’s new sewage treatment plant on Pensacola Beach will go online in the next two months. The $3-million upgrade will give the facility redundancy.
However, the ECUA beach facility will still dump its effluent into Santa Rosa Sound. While Pensacola Beach has been recovering from Hurricane Ivan, the plant has dumped an average of 882,000 gallons daily into the sound. However, it could dump as much as 2.4 million gallon per day once Pensacola Beach is built back.
The ECUA board should plan to pipe the effluent off Pensacola Beach and entirely discontinue dumping into the Santa Rosa Sound. A simple fix is to build a pipeline that connects with the South Santa Rosa Utility, which in turn could make it available for the irrigation of public and private lands on the Fairpoint Peninsula. No sewage facility should discharge its wastewater into any body of water. Our waterways are too valuable."
Lets change the word to read clear water... BTW this happened and is no hidden from no one. But this also happens in the Atlantic Ocean, almost positive that some municipal sludge from Florida got in the water (sooner or later)...

Environment—current issues: endangered marine species include the manatee, seals, sea lions, turtles, and whales; drift net fishing is hastening the decline of fish stocks and contributing to international disputes; municipal sludge pollution off eastern US, southern Brazil, and eastern Argentina; oil pollution in Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, Lake Maracaibo, Mediterranean Sea, and North Sea; industrial waste and municipal sewage pollution in Baltic Sea, North Sea, and Mediterranean Sea.

Source: umsl.edu

Old 11-26-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.k-la View Post
swed40 that is not a "dumb" question, that is very legitimate question. Heck, anyone out of state has a right to ask that question (such as myself), let alone out of continent. Anyways, I have a question regarding ocean water temperature during the summer. What is the water temperature around Jacksonville Beach in the summer (or any beach in North-Central Florida)? I was just in Cocoa Beach a week ago and the water temperature was around 70F which is really warm compared to our water temperature up here near Vancouver (like 48F), also, when do you consider it to cold to swim???
See temperature for Nov 23:

weather.com - Florida Coastal Water Temperatures

Todays temperature from NOAA:
US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Old 11-26-2007, 05:05 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
See temperature for Nov 23:

weather.com - Florida Coastal Water Temperatures

Todays temperature from NOAA:
US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide
I find it strange that the water off the coast of South Carolina is warmer then southwest Florida.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I find it strange that the water off the coast of South Carolina is warmer then southwest Florida.

Anything is possible, even faulty equipment....

Old 11-27-2007, 12:59 AM

497 posts, read 1,566,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
70F is too cold to swim I don`t even bother unless the water is over 80.
Haha up here in Maine we swim in the ocean when it's 60! The warmest our water gets is about 65 for a couple weeks.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,580,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Lets change the word to read clear water... BTW this happened and is no hidden from no one. But this also happens in the Atlantic Ocean, almost positive that some municipal sludge from Florida got in the water (sooner or later)...

Environment—current issues: endangered marine species include the manatee, seals, sea lions, turtles, and whales; drift net fishing is hastening the decline of fish stocks and contributing to international disputes; municipal sludge pollution off eastern US, southern Brazil, and eastern Argentina; oil pollution in Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, Lake Maracaibo, Mediterranean Sea, and North Sea; industrial waste and municipal sewage pollution in Baltic Sea, North Sea, and Mediterranean Sea.

Source: umsl.edu
You do know that the pacific is very polluted too? rain forces that L.A. sewage into the oceans and even when it doesn't rain it is dirty and unsafe. Japan is very close to west coast - toxic nuclear
garbage washing ashore as far north as Canada and definitely on entire west coast. Are you really going to eat tuna or fish from the pacific?

As long as some FDA or school does s study you take their word for it? You gotta think more guy. It is polluted everywhere in industrialized countries. I think Minnesota's or Wisconsin's lakes may be cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida