Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:04 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
So...

A sanitation worker in NY can make $69k (plus differential payments and overtime) with 5 1/2 yrs on the job.....

So.....maybe $75k total....

Not that far off from the $80k he mentioned.....

I don't know of too many jobs in Florida (if any) where you don't need a college degree and can go from $33k to $70k+ in 5.5 years....
Work your way up at publix?

Publix Store Managment Salary? - Yahoo Answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 PM

65 posts, read 156,924 times
What I was trying to say in my OP is that if you make less than 40-50K, it's really tough to survive in Florida, but in many other places you are alright. Sure, if you are a Dr, Lawyer, CPA, Accountant, you can do alright just about anywhere. I'm saying in the lower end, service industry type jobs, FL pay is low compared to other places. My wife is a RN with a MS and for the same position in Tucson, AZ, she was offered almost 20% more per hour than at Broward General Medical Center and I would say the cost of living is roughly 20% less here in Tucson.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:31 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG12977 View Post
What I was trying to say in my OP is that if you make less than 40-50K, it's really tough to survive in Florida, but in many other places you are alright. Sure, if you are a Dr, Lawyer, CPA, Accountant, you can do alright just about anywhere. I'm saying in the lower end, service industry type jobs, FL pay is low compared to other places. My wife is a RN with a MS and for the same position in Tucson, AZ, she was offered almost 20% more per hour than at Broward General Medical Center and I would say the cost of living is roughly 20% less here in Tucson.
What about outside of south fl? Might have better luck in a smaller fl city skin to Tucson

Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Is there any place in Florida where employers in general pay a living wage corresponding to the cost of living? I just don't see how most people survive there with the high rent, high home prices, sky high insurance and high gas prices and low relative wages.
it's getting to be that there is no place like anymore. People move in with their family, split rent with others.
America has changed.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
I lived in the Ft Lauderdale area for 5 years (2006-2011) and loved the weather, beach, and all the stuff to do. I moved away because the cost of housing, insurance, gas was too high for what employers pay. I am now actually making more money in Arizona than I did in Ft Lauderdale with decreases in rent, insurance, gas, etc. I like it here but miss the year round warm temperatures and beaches. Is there any place in Florida where employers in general pay a living wage corresponding to the cost of living? I just don't see how most people survive there with the high rent, high home prices, sky high insurance and high gas prices and low relative wages.
Jacksonville has the highest average salary and lowest cost of living of the big cities in Florida (and has arguably the most diverse economy outside of South Florida), so you should give it a try in my opinion.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You are incorrect. The current starting salary of a Sanitation Worker is $33,746 per year. The current labor agreement provides for periodic increases to a maximum of $69,339 following the completion of 5 1/2 years. In addition to the basic annual wages, Sanitation Workers may also earn differential payments based on their specific assignment and overtime.
Sorry, I wasn't guessing. This is someone I know. Many make that much. I know cops who make over 100k.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I know doctors who make $250K in FL and make the same salary in NY. There was no pay raise for choosing to live up there or out west in CA. In fact, in CA, doctors make less, which is a double whammy considering the higher COL.

Again, this all boils down to specific situations. In healthcare, engineering and certain legal fields, there is fairly stable salaries from what I have seen so if all things are equal, FL wins IMO.
I wasn't saying that FL. doesn't have it's merits, just stating the obvious. I know a doctor making in excess of $2mil. in Jersey. What does that prove? I'm sure there a few in Fl. too. I'm talking regular joe type jobs. You're going to make less in FL. You may or may not be better off down here depending where you want to live.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
It may be someone you know, but it is not average. As you can clearly read in my post the maximum DSNY salary is $69,339 annually, not including over time, differentials. That is a stat from NYC government. There are about 8,000 people on the streets for NYC Dept. of Sanitation. Not that many are at the 80k or more level.

As we all know, overtime can generate a lot of income. That is why cops in NYC, for instance, suck up all the overtime they can get before they retire. It increases their pensions.

Sure, there are a lot of cops pulling down more than 100k in a lot of places including FL. That is usually a rank above police officer, i.e. detective,Sergeants, Lieutenants, Captains and they are putting in the overtime. For instance, the salary for a Lt. in Palm Beach County is MINIMUM $95,676. That person would easily exceed 100k a year with overtime, differentials, etc. On the other hand, in Jackson County that minimum for a LT is just under $30k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Sorry, I wasn't guessing. This is someone I know. Many make that much. I know cops who make over 100k.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Things are very different "up north". Taxes, cost of housing, health care, food, electricity, insurance all all significantly higher than they are "down south".

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I guess I should have rephrased it......

Can a sanitation worker make $69k salary plus overtime and differential payments in FL?

Also......

What does a Cop/firefighter/paramedic/nurse make up North compared to here?....

Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I wasn't saying that FL. doesn't have it's merits, just stating the obvious. I know a doctor making in excess of $2mil. in Jersey. What does that prove? I'm sure there a few in Fl. too. I'm talking regular joe type jobs. You're going to make less in FL. You may or may not be better off down here depending where you want to live.

Exactly....

The "regular Joe's" that I know (I'm one of them but I live in FL) that live up North make way more and have way more opportunities to make more than down here....

As far as I've always heard (since I moved here in 87') it's common knowledge that blue collar work pays terrible down here...

Even when I loved Florida more than anything and I thought people were crazy to want to live anywhere else (I used to think that way...I swear) I still knew and could admit that the pay and general work environment were bad down here...

I'm actually still surprised that people argue that on this forum.....I've always known it to be common knowledge....

The term "sunshine tax" was invented LONG BEFORE I moved to Florida and city-data was formed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida