Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:29 PM

31 posts, read 44,331 times

Advertisements

I see there is north and south florida. How is the weather year round in both of them?What about coastal and inland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 03:22 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times
Inland areas all over the state have hotter, more humid summers and cooler winters than the coast. North Florida (Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Florida Panhandle, the Forgotten Coast) is classified as humid subtropical. Summers and autumns are pretty hot and humid (highs in the 90sF and lows in the 70sF-80F for summer, highs in the 80sF and lows in the 60sF in fall), with most of the rainfall occurring in May-October, due to the state having a monsoon-style pattern of precipitation. Risks of tropical storms and hurricanes this time of year, and water temperatures around 75-80F. Lots of mosquitoes and other bugs. Winters and springs are mostly dry and mild, with some days of unusually cold weather due to Arctic cold fronts passing down south. Usually days are in the 60sF and nights are in the 40sF in winter, and spring sees days in the 70sF and nights in the 50sF. Pretty pleasant overall. Sea breezes along the coast to keep you cool. Water temperatures range from 60-70F during the dry season.

South Florida is semi-tropical (although many call it tropical). It really has 2 seasons: dry and monsoon. Dry season is winter and spring, when days are typically between 75-80F and nights between 55-65F. However, every now and then a cold snap will come by for a few days and temperatures can drop to 40sF and sometimes even down into the 20sF and 30sF. Water temperatures range between 70-75F. Monsoon season is summer and fall, when there are the most bugs out and the risk of hurricanes and tropical storms. A thunderstorm will usually come by for 30 minutes nearly everyday. Temperatures during the day are usually in the 80sF and 90sF, with nights between 70-80F. The ocean is between 80-85F. Sea breezes, again, keep you refreshed year-round here. There is definitely more tropical flora grown here because of the warmer climate.

Here are some pics to help you differentiate between them:

North Florida:

South Florida:

North Florida winters:

(rare Jacksonville snowfall)

Average North Florida winter day

South Florida in winter:
Average day in the Keys

rare cold snap in Miami Beach:

Last edited by Hawaii4evr; 12-22-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM

Thanks Hawai!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
I'm about 10 miles inland east central Florida. Right this minute it is in the mid 80s and starting to get cloudy.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:25 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Florida has about three temperature zones (at least during the cooler months of Nov - Feb). Central Florida (Melbourne, Orlando, Tampa) averages about 15-degrees warmer than the Panhandle (Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Pensacola). South Florida (Miami, Keys, Ft. Lauderdale) averages about 5-10 degrees warmer than Central Florida.

This is 'guesswork' based on living in Central Florida and now the Panhandle for the past 40-years. Someone can probably look at actual averages and either support or contradict my 'guesstimates'. ... Anyway, for all you folks living closer to the Arctic Circle, I can assure you that we also 'suffer' here when the temperatures get below about 50-degrees.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times
Jacksonville is not considered part of the Panhandle. All of the Panhandle is North FL, but not all of North FL is the Panhandle.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:01 PM

109 posts, read 143,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Florida has about three temperature zones (at least during the cooler months of Nov - Feb). Central Florida (Melbourne, Orlando, Tampa) averages about 15-degrees warmer than the Panhandle (Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Pensacola). South Florida (Miami, Keys, Ft. Lauderdale) averages about 5-10 degrees warmer than Central Florida.

This is 'guesswork' based on living in Central Florida and now the Panhandle for the past 40-years. Someone can probably look at actual averages and either support or contradict my 'guesstimates'. ... Anyway, for all you folks living closer to the Arctic Circle, I can assure you that we also 'suffer' here when the temperatures get below about 50-degrees.

LOL

I totally agree. Below 50 and I am freaking out cold. Still wear my shorts because I know it wont last long.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:27 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,936 times
I live on the west coast of Florida, Sarasota area. I have found the average summer temp to be around 90, most always a breeze off the gulf, and humid. Winter? Well, today it was 82 and sunny.

Personally, I like it here, and, I am not crazy about the interior of Florida, too hot and buggy in the summer, I also love viewing the water and the sun glistening on it, not an option in the interior region.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofel View Post
I see there is north and south florida. How is the weather year round in both of them?What about coastal and inland?
National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report

You can type the specific city and then select monthly averages and it will break it down for you... much more accurate. I know people who wear ear muffs in winter, while some wear shorts... so cold is relative to each individual.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:20 PM

I think 80 is hot .When do you guys out AC on? How many months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida