U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,510 times

Advertisements

My friend and I (age 18, girls) were planning on moving to Florida for a year or so before college. We need somewhere safe, yet active as we are still pretty young. An area right on the beach and near the surf would be ideal. In addition, we were planning on finding waitresses or small retail jobs so restaurants and shopping is a necessity. The places we were considering include Daytona, Melbourne, Venice, and Clearwater. Do you have any other suggestions or could you give any idea which area might be best for us? Thanks for your time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:54 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,532,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelrough View Post
My friend and I (age 18, girls) were planning on moving to Florida for a year or so before college. We need somewhere safe, yet active as we are still pretty young. An area right on the beach and near the surf would be ideal. In addition, we were planning on finding waitresses or small retail jobs so restaurants and shopping is a necessity. The places we were considering include Daytona, Melbourne, Venice, and Clearwater. Do you have any other suggestions or could you give any idea which area might be best for us? Thanks for your time!
Where are you moving from?
Dayotona has kind of high crime, not much shopping,
Melbourne is okay,
Venice is very old, hell, the majority of people are over 65, also kind of slow,
Clearwater is probably closest to what you want, although Miami might work.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,510 times
We're moving from Pittsburgh. Miami seemed like it would probably be too big of a city for us, thanks for your ideas though!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 AM

12,017 posts, read 13,303,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Where are you moving from?
Dayotona has kind of high crime, not much shopping,
Melbourne is okay,
Venice is very old, hell, the majority of people are over 65, also kind of slow,
Clearwater is probably closest to what you want, although Miami might work.
Melbourne is actually pretty nice. Better economy than Daytona, beaches are nicer/less trashy and touristy. About the same size though. Brevard >>>> Volusia for schools too

Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 PM

11,486 posts, read 14,658,960 times
Quote:

If those are your final four on the list.

Delete Daytona, a total dump and no way would I advise anyone to move to Daytona.

I coined it as Dirty Daytona and it lives up to its name.

Venice is beautiful but someone posted above age age is way up there.

Melbourne, lots here like that area.

Clearwater, has one of my favorite beaches in Clearwater Beach but you need to be careful where in Clearwater itself you move to.

As far as jobs that you mentioned you need to head to a busy beach area.

Maybe St Pete, Treasure Island, Cocoa Beach, Ft Lauderdale, St Augustine or one of the busy beaches that will support you with that type of a job.

Clearwater Beach is amazing and clean but I dont think you will get much in the way of making good money as a waitress in that area.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:08 PM

5,687 posts, read 6,519,041 times
I vote for Sarasota!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM

7,629 posts, read 5,872,323 times
Quote:
My mom lives in Daytona Beach and I am there as I type this post. Daytona is safe as far as I see, I do hail from NYC so anyplace other than NYC is pretty safe in my eyes. As far as activity and jobs I do not know if this is the place for you. Daytona seems like a dieing town to me. Not much for young people like you to do except if you like the beach. Hope I was able to help. Good luck.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 01-06-2014 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Grammer

Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 AM

16,753 posts, read 36,273,002 times
I agree with everyone here - delete Daytona. Not a good place for young women, you won't find great jobs there, that town is seedy. On the east coast, Melbourne is nice, along with St. Augustine (lots of tourists). On the Gulf side, St. Pete or Sarasota - LOTs of tourists in Sarasota, plenty of restaurants/hospitality jobs, it is really growing and booming here - they are building a high end mall, one of only two malls being built in the entire country right now. That is in the University Parkway corridor, and that is almost like a town in itself - definitely would give it a look. Plus, Sarasota also has a small but thriving downtown, and St. Armand's Circle - high end shopping/dining district. Oh, and Siesta Key! You would love that, Siesta has one of the best beaches in the country - award winning! Keep in mind there is not much "surf" in Florida, and on the Gulf side there really is none. Beaches are spectacular though.

St. Pete has a great downtown area, larger city but probably not booming as much as Sarasota. You should check both out. I personally don't care for Clearwater, but you should visit and see what you think.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,048,629 times
Melbourne.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 AM

11,486 posts, read 14,658,960 times
At your age I would be very careful where you move to.

Not enough info to really help you much.

Do you want the party type life or do you want a more calm beach atmosphere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida