Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Lansing Island is equally exclusive and the homes start at $1 million typically. Tortoise Island is a little cheaper, but same idea. With both Tortoise and Lansing, you have exclusive guard-gated waterfront communities with the amenities and strong schools of Brevard County nearby.

Southern brevard county is quieter and more retiree once you get below Melbourne towards Vero.

Again, this is a very subjective issue IMO, but I feel that the OP will find what he/she wants in Brevard
Chop I don't want to argue. But, the op said private schools. I can guarantee you won't find the equivalent of St. Eds in Satellite beach. Not to mention Lansing Island is on the backside of Satellite Beach, no oceanfront. Most of the communities on Orchid Island offer both Indian River or oceanfront. I think we all need to just offer suggestions and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Chop I don't want to argue. But, the op said private schools. I can guarantee you won't find the equivalent of St. Eds in Satellite beach. Not to mention Lansing Island is on the backside of Satellite Beach, no oceanfront. Most of the communities on Orchid Island offer both Indian River or oceanfront. I think we all need to just offer suggestions and leave it at that.
Holy Trinity right across Pineda causeway

Again this discourse is exactly what the OP probably wants to hear. Vero Beach has some very elite and nice areas but IMO it lacks the "youth" factor. Brevard schools as a whole are also ranked higher than Indian River, if the OP decides to go public. West Shore Jr/Sr High is a top 10 school in the state, and top 50 nationally.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Holy Trinity right across Pineda causeway

Again this discourse is exactly what the OP probably wants to hear. Vero Beach has some very elite and nice areas but IMO it lacks the "youth" factor. Brevard schools as a whole are also ranked higher than Indian River, if the OP decides to go public. West Shore Jr/Sr High is a top 10 school in the state, and top 50 nationally.
Well, I happen to think your opinion is wrong about the "youth" factor. I'm in Vero almost everyday and can attribute to that. I can't say that about Brevard as I'm only there occasionally. I would say the same goes for you.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:08 PM

18 posts, read 48,610 times
Alot of debate back and forth on these topics that is why it is going to make it hard to decide where to look. I rented a place in Anna Maria Island for the month of Feburary and March. I am leaning more towards the gulf side as I have heard from many people that alot of midwest people relocate there and are nicer people plus the water is warmer.

The only community I have found so far is the fish hawk ranch which looks like a ton of stuff to do in the community and is great with kids has multiple pools etc... We are going to tour that when we are down there. Only thing it is a hour away from the beach but the ammentities are nice. I have just been having the hardest time finding something that doesn't feel like a retirement community with empty nesters.

Also private schools are very important to me my kids are really young right now but I want them to get the best possible education.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Update: I am staying in Anna Maria Island which is really a nice small island I really like it here.

I did visit fish hawk ranch and I did love all the ammenities in the community the surrounding areas where in rough shape and I didn't get a good feel for it.

Does anyone recommend any master planned community on the gulf side?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM

I just visited lakewood ranch and I really like that area. Does anyone live there or have any experience there? Is it a good place to raise a young family?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
No one has mentioned north Florida. Our community has tons of young people with kids (attracted by the #1 public school system in Florida). And you can spend $1 million+ on a house too . Robyn

Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Kyle have you even lived in South Florida? I have and I have also lived in Central Florida, still own the house. I got friends in Tampa and Clearwater. I've been up and down both coasts.
Sorry, left the thread after it got ridiculous. Just reread today. Yes as a matter of fact I do know a bit about South Florida, being a native of the area and all. I grew up in Hollywood, spent a few years in Ft Lauderdale, went to college in Miami (FIU) and have visited regularly over the past 20+ years. My parents moved to Central Florida many years ago, I live there now as a result of obligation to their health issues, etc. and have close friends in Pinellas County I spend a lot of time with.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
No one has mentioned north Florida. Our community has tons of young people with kids (attracted by the #1 public school system in Florida). And you can spend $1 million+ on a house too . Robyn
I agree Robyn! Ponte Vedra Beach and Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island are two nice examples.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree Robyn! Ponte Vedra Beach and Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island are two nice examples.
And - FWIW - my husband and I lived in Miami for 20+ years before we moved here. Miami isn't the first place that comes to mind when I think of families with small children. Also - we moved here (and skipped over a lot of counties in the process) because most in SE Florida had very large snowbird populations. We don't have anything against snowbirds - but - like the OP - wanted to live in a place that was mostly year round residents. Also - we were looking for an area with less congestion - great golf/tennis - etc. Note that we have one of the best private schools in the state here - the Bolles School (although it didn't factor into our personal choice of locations). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida