Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times

Advertisements

I guess some of us still make our money the old fashioned way. We work for it.

Doing well in a job entails much more than showing up everyday and doing the least you can to get by. Doing a job well means going to extra mile to maximize the effectiveness of the mission of the employer. Once someone has proven their ability to go beyond expectations is the point where the efforts are rewarded in salary and bonuses. Most employers follow the same doctrine. You make ME money and I will PAY YOU money to continue that trend. Once a person is settled in an industry their reputation spreads. People want to meet you. People want you to work for them. They will pay you accordingly.

Those who go to a job and just perform the task without any enthusiasm or greater productivity of their peers are those who never advance. Never see raises, never see bonuses, wind up hating their jobs and usually quitting to start the cycle again.

It's not a matter of doing your job well, it is a matter of doing it better than others. A mentor taught me a long time ago "we are all good, some are better than. The goal is to be better than".

That is how workers become supervisors, supervisors become managers and managers become executives. One you have reached the higher levels you can take your expertise and knowledge in your field and use it as a tool to obtain future opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 PM

Out of the 800-1000 applications, how many of them actually met the basic requirements for the job?

I have NEVER seen a job posting or advertisement that limited the audience to local candidates only.

Your posting is a mere generalized personal opinion. There is no basis to what your posting contains.
It may be based on your personal experience, but not reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
It's not so much that there are NO jobs in FL paying $50k-$100k--there are actually many. It's actually the fierce competition for those jobs that make them so hard to come by.

As someone who worked alongside a hiring manager in South FL, the sheer volume of job applications received for open positions at my last company paying $25-$35/hour plus benefits is simply mind-boggling, especially on the very first day the position is posted. Sometimes, we would receive 800-1,000 job applications/resume submissions within 24 hours of a position being posted!

It's dog-eat-dog in the FL economy, even in professional services, because the state is very overpopulated and there are so many people in different states trying to move there. I estimate that a quarter of the US populace outside of FL has seriously contemplated a move there at some point in time (i.e., applied for jobs, contacted a realtor, etc.). However, that doesn't mean that most people follow through on their plan to move to FL because most don't. That's the reason why so many job postings in FL request only local candidates to apply. As an employer/hiring manager, you don't want to run the risk of hiring someone from out-of-state before they move to FL just to be told by that person they're no longer going to move to FL anymore--it's too much of a gamble. Besides, most people who move to FL or want to move there are kind of flaky to begin with, at least in my experience, which makes this practice among employers/hiring managers more justifiable.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:22 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Out of the 800-1000 applications, how many of them actually met the basic requirements for the job?

I have NEVER seen a job posting or advertisement that limited the audience to local candidates only.

Your posting is a mere generalized personal opinion. There is no basis to what your posting contains.
It may be based on your personal experience, but not reality.
Actually, it is reality. I've spoken to several other business owners and hiring managers in FL, albeit mostly in South FL, who encounter this issue on a regular basis.

And if you're never seem a job posting or advertisement in FL that limited the audience to local candidates only, it must be years since the last time you've applied for a job.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Actually, it is reality. I've spoken to several other business owners and hiring managers in FL, albeit mostly in South FL, who encounter this issue on a regular basis.

And if you're never seem a job posting or advertisement in FL that limited the audience to local candidates only, it must be years since the last time you've applied for a job.

Yes, it has been years. I see the job ads though. I never have saw locals only. U didnt say how many of the 800 to 1000 had the skills and experience for the job?

A former co worker and I had lunch one day. He had placed an ad for a paralegal in the newspaper.
He got flooded with resumes. 85 % of them had no experience as a paralegal and/or never worked in a law firm.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
A lot of S Florida employers put Local Canidates only should apply

Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
A small local air conditioning firm posted for a technician and had 180 apps in the first 4 hours!

Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
To the OP and other people who may think like OP.Flordia economy is based on service sector economy this means retail ,fast food ,restaurants and tourism not business or industry.
Service sector isn't only fast food, retail, restaurants and tourism.

There are 3 sectors:

1) Agriculture (farming)
2) Manufacturing (they make things that are tangible)
3) Service
Within service sector are these types of jobs: lawyers, doctors, computer programmers, nurses, teachers, accountants, customer service reps, managers, CEOs, reporters, actors, police and firefighters, sales people - even highly paid sales people, stock brokers, financial managers, realtors, mortgage brokers, admin assistants, most government jobs, judges, construction workers, engineers, truck drivers, veterninarians, librarians, plumbers, electricians, HVAC technicians, auto repair techs, landscapers, sports trainers, athletes, producers, utility workers, systems analysts, plus retail, restaurant, tourism

Link to service sector explanation: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_sector

Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,782 times
I don't think this thread represents a realistic slice of Florida workers. Most people responding here make excellent salaries and as a general rule, the job descriptions of the area don't seem to corroborate the numbers beings told here. Anything over $50K/year in Florida is excellent.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
What is a good ole boy club because my hubby EARNED HIS WAY to the top with hard work, attitude, educations, previous success of turning businesses around etc and never was offered his job by being in any stupid club as you call it. He got his job based on performance, work history and the above only.

Sorry to burst your little bubble but he makes 100k a year and as just handed a nice check for 10,000 bonus for the record QUARTER based on his area making record profits. So 100k is not low base pay considering most here in the post are saying there is no such thing as a 50-100k job.

Bonus is not taxed any different then his normal paycheck. Sorry wrong again.

100k and 3 bonus checks from last year put him in the 135k range. What is next you will tell me that is not good pay?

You seem angry that others have done well and your workplace has that good ole boy issues.

Maybe you should leave current job and test the waters to see if your skills or talents get you a better paying job.

First off where do I come off saying I am not making great money? Not that I need to disclose my salary, I won't...not that anyone would believe it so it shall remain private. First off...you need to read my posts slower and try to retain what's been said instead of jumping to the chase. No, I am not angry and your not busting my bubble, this is the internet I base my facts on proven data and real life experiences...not people's fallacies.

I network with hundreds of people throughout the world and of course Florida, the most complaints I hear in incomes come from Florida and in my local network and circles, I hear a lot of complaints on this and it often takes over the conversation and of course there are those in my network that make absurd amounts of $ and never complain.

These stories are coming from white collar/highly educated and skilled people. Not everyone is lucky or fortunate enough to be paid what they are worth or a competitive wage...a lot look at it as a cost of living in perceived paradise or the Sunshine Tax. The "Good Ole Boy" mentality is alive and well here, some have escaped it's grip but it's just not a one company phenomenon.

Also Bonuses ARE taxed different, let me educate you with some easy to understand links:

"As such, bonuses (like other supplemental wages) are treated differently than ordinary wage or salary income. There are two ways of taxing bonuses: the percentage method and the aggregate method."

Bonus Time: How Bonuses Are Taxed and Treated by the IRS | Tax Break: The TurboTax Blog

Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
A lot of S Florida employers put Local Canidates only should apply
Spot on Swim, seems to be the norm here, unlike other areas. I know of companies in North Dakota that are offering full relo, signing bonus and a salary double the median here, but nobody is interested in moving there...employers know this and play the game quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida