Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 AM

432 posts, read 1,879,150 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine whose mom retired to the Englewood area recently told me that it will be difficult for me to find a primary care physician when I move to the Panhandle area this spring/summer. She says that doctors are not taking new patients.

I am not on medicare yet. I am insured. She says this is a state wide problem.

Anyone finding that they can't get medical care when they move to Florida because the doctors are too crowded????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:20 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,389 times
I live on the panhandle in Fort Walton Beach. In the past I have lived in Panama City Beach and Navarre and I have never had trouble finding a doctor or getting an appointment for anyone in my family, new patient or not. In fact, we can usually get an appointment within 2 days of our phone call, same day if someone is sick. The panhandle of FL is not heavily populated but there are quite a few physicians in this area as well as some of the top rated hospitals in the country (Baptist and Sacred Heart).

It may be more of a problem in the Englewood area but it's not a problem up here. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I don't think you will have any problem finding a Dr. here.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:17 PM

That is what I thought, and it is good to know.

I figured with the quality of hospitals there, it wouldn't do to be turning away "customers". And although I keep saying "panhandle" everyone assumes I mean something further south and more crowded.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:03 PM

68 posts, read 251,237 times
We moved to the Englewood , North port area about 5 years ago . Never ever had a problem finding a primary care Dr. They run advertisments in the newspapers often , for accepting new patiants .

Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 AM

110 posts, read 182,919 times
The problem isn't finding a doctor - the problem is finding an appointment for "ordinary care" during the season. Just north of us (Englewood) in Venice and Sarasota there are excellent medical facilities.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 AM

What my friend told me is that there are so many retirees and aging baby boomers moving down that doctors are not taking new patients. Not a seasonal thing.

I thought this was a bit of an overreaction. So far what you are telling me is that I should be able to find a primary care physician in North Florida. THis is what I expected to hear, but it is nice to know there is no "crisis" in this regard - there are so many other crises!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida