Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:24 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Again, I never said it was a hell hole. It is like another country as it is more non American then any area in the USA by far. And I mean mostly the Miami area and not other towns in SE Florida.

You like to put words into peoples mouths.

The truth and facts are within my post.

SE Florida is for sure very different and in my opinion not a place I would live.

And I have a right to my opinion just like you do.

** You did miss the fact that I post that one of my favorite beaches is Fort Lauderdale right?
Okay, I didn't mean any offense, just trying to add irony and a little humour.
P.S, do you mean Lauderdale by the sea? I like it, seems like a nice beach town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
we left because my husband had a great oppty to further his career back in NC and it has now brought us back home to NJ and we couldn't be happier.. however our 3 years in Florida were wonderful and we have no regrets...For us we saw what we liked about it and what we didn't like...the cost of living is expensive in this part of florida, wages aren't great etc, Everyone Circumstances are different and I don't feel people need to justify their personal decisions on a forum, At the same time they shouldn't bash a place either...people need to also understand that South Florida is its own beast so to speak and there are some great parts of Florida that Are nothing like S Florida..We chose S Florida for a lot of reasons...
Isles, did you read this?

Guess I am not the only one.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Okay, I didn't mean any offense, just trying to add irony and a little humour.
P.S, do you mean Lauderdale by the sea? I like it, seems like a nice beach town.
I like most all of the SE Florida beaches.

Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood are probably my two favorites in that area.

Like Hollywood because it still has the old Florida style charm etc.

Last edited by Sunny-Days-in-Florida; 01-06-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
I like most all of the SW Florida beaches.

Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood are probably my two favorites in that area.

Like Hollywood because it still has the old Florida style charm etc.
Those beaches are in S FL not SW FL.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Those beaches are in S FL not SW FL.

No kidding. Typo fixed.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,742 times
We moved to Vero Beach in June 2013 and I love it here. I've been reading this and the Treasure Coast forums since December 2010, so had read all the good and bad opinions before arriving. Several of the positive posters said that living here is like being on vacation all the time. They were right ! I still am like a little kid, getting excited about going to the beach and realizing that it's only minutes away from where I live. I love the climate, even in summer (where we used to live in Ohio is just as hot and humid, with no ocean breezes!). The people are friendlier and more helpful here, even the service people are better - we needed a plumber and he showed up within two hours of my call. You sure don't get that in Ohio !

My only negatives are minor ones and would not even matter to most people: There are very few songbirds, even in winter when they have migrated from the North. I don't know where they migrate to, but very few seem to pick our part of Vero Beach - and we have a lot of woods near our house ! Also, the library system isn't as good as the one I left behind, but it's not terrible either.

I love being a Floridian !

Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Florida is pretty much what I expected. I have said it before and I have said it again. If you have never moved around before, have lifelong friends and family where you are now and have never been away from them you will probably be unhappy wherever you move to. It's a huge change! Physically, emotionally and culturally.

I have moved around quite a bit and we love it here. My commute has gotten a bit out of hand and I find that very frustrating and the one thing I hate the most about my life here. Thankfully, that is something I can change.

The weather is great. I'll take hot summer's over cold winters. I would rather be in the pool and water to stay cool than scraping ice off my windshield, shoveling snow, chipping ice and having my hands go numb every morning when I get in the car. We are always out doing something, travelling around the state and still have so much to see after being here for 3 years. In addition, there is so much to see out of Florida as well in the Southeast. Cruises are ridiculously inexpensive when you got at the right time of the year as a Florida resident and don't have to worry about airfare.

I do find that many people here do not have a sense of community. I believe this is because many are tourists, snowbirds and people just passing through. I have seen an unbelievable number of people throw trash out their windows. People are rude to other's since they are passing through and figure they'll never see them again and apparently do not know how to act like humans. I have grown to hate tourists in Orlando. Too often I see parent's allow their children to do whatever they want because they are on vacation. This includes but is not limited to: Kid's acting out of hand and restaurants, kids running around or yelling in movie theaters, cutting in line anywhere, hitting strangers and flat our disrespecting everyone.

I have found everything seems amplified on CD... whether it be positive or negative.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:52 AM

472 posts, read 547,500 times
I was told Florida is not all bunnies and roses but since moving here, the minute I step outside I trip on those little buggers hopping around and fall into the rose bushes.
I read CD for fun but it does go to extremes with some truth buried in there. I read about other cities I've lived in for decades and see crazy stuffs written there as well that I never experienced. A lot of the complaints I've read here I see everywhere and isn't limited to Florida - maybe things are just amplified here because FL has such high expectation for some people.
It's been pretty much what I expected.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 AM

111 posts, read 148,196 times
I dont think you want to move to FL to compete with illegals for jobs bc thats not going to make you happy.You move to FL to enjoy weather etc

Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Yes, I know that the negative nellies are everywhere. Those are people who have no chance of success beyond just getting by, folks who change jobs regularly, folks who change address regularly.
Rolling stones. Surely a lot of them figured that everything will be fine for them because they are exceptional and will out perform everyone else already here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I was told Florida is not all bunnies and roses but since moving here, the minute I step outside I trip on those little buggers hopping around and fall into the rose bushes.
I read CD for fun but it does go to extremes with some truth buried in there. I read about other cities I've lived in for decades and see crazy stuffs written there as well that I never experienced. A lot of the complaints I've read here I see everywhere and isn't limited to Florida - maybe things are just amplified here because FL has such high expectation for some people.
It's been pretty much what I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida