Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Seems to me that Governor Crist was in office during the build up to the housing and Wall Street crash and eventually the actual housing and Wall Street crash which completely crippled the nations economy and Florida's economy even more so...

It also seems to me that Governor Scott has been in office during the stabilization and slow recovery from the brink of collapse of the nations economy.....

I'm not to sure if either one of these guys had (or has) much to do with Florida's economy....

Florida (in modern history) has always been a "go as the nation goes" economy....

If people in other states are doing well...that benefits Florida's economy because of tourism, retirees, and housing....it has always been that way- it's the way Florida's economy works...

I'm not crazy about either one of those guys.....especially Governor Scott...

But the only thing I see that Rick Scott has done is be a typical corporate "hatchet man".....

It doesn't take any special talent or leadership to "take a hatchet to the budget" and act like the hero...

Corporations have been hiring "hatchet men" for decades and decades....they are a dime a dozen.

I'm not impressed.

As rnc2mbfl once said on here, "Rick Scott had nowhere to go but up". Florida was pretty much at rock bottom when he took office.

I still don't understand the attack on teachers in this state by some people. Florida teachers are not overpaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 06:02 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
As rnc2mbfl once said on here, "Rick Scott had nowhere to go but up". Florida was pretty much at rock bottom when he took office.

I still don't understand the attack on teachers in this state by some people. Florida teachers are not overpaid.
I agree...

Florida school teachers are not "overpaid"....

How could someone really say that they are overpaid with a strait face?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post

I don't think it's that common to see people saying FL teachers are overpaid. They should pay into their pensions like most public sector workers do however. That was the debate a couple years ago

Now if you want to talk about overpaid teachers.... let's talk about N.Y.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 PM

It's fairly common from what I've heard. The debate a couple years ago was about pensions, but quickly morphed into an all out attack on teachers. This same group seems to be slowly falling into obscurity. I'm sure we'll here from them again at the next election though.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I agree...

Florida school teachers are not "overpaid"....

How could someone really say that they are overpaid with a strait face?

Very general of you to state that. Many can say that because they have kids actually in these schools and know the teachers wages.

Do you mean with a straight face?

Guessing you do not have current kids in the Florida school system.

What I have found is when my kids are taking classes outside of the honors classes the teachers are actually overpaid for what they teach.

Sure most honors teachers are under paid. For the most part many teachers here get 3 months off a year, are in the wrong profession of teaching and could not pass the state testing themselves if they had to.

Come on a phys ed teacher at one of our middle schools whines all day to the kids he only make 45k per year and coaches 7th boys basketball team for that low pay.

No phys ed teacher who has only been teaching for 3 years deserves 45k to teach kids how to walk around a track, rules of playing lacrosse and soccer and gets 3 months a year paid vacation.

Just because a teacher shows up to class does not mean they should be handed a huge pay check. They should be paid on merit, kids performance in testing and several other factors. Just showing up does not warrant them a pay check like many we have here in Florida.

Besides, if they were great teachers they would not be here, they would be in a state the average pay is higher and be looking to further their education and get a masters or something but many are lucky to show up at school.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Very general of you to state that. Many can say that because they have kids actually in these schools and know the teachers wages.

Do you mean with a straight face?

Guessing you do not have current kids in the Florida school system.

What I have found is when my kids are taking classes outside of the honors classes the teachers are actually overpaid for what they teach.

Sure most honors teachers are under paid. For the most part many teachers here get 3 months off a year, are in the wrong profession of teaching and could not pass the state testing themselves if they had to.

Come on a phys ed teacher at one of our middle schools whines all day to the kids he only make 45k per year and coaches 7th boys basketball team for that low pay.

No phys ed teacher who has only been teaching for 3 years deserves 45k to teach kids how to walk around a track, rules of playing lacrosse and soccer and gets 3 months a year paid vacation.

Just because a teacher shows up to class does not mean they should be handed a huge pay check. They should be paid on merit, kids performance in testing and several other factors. Just showing up does not warrant them a pay check like many we have here in Florida.

Besides, if they were great teachers they would not be here, they would be in a state the average pay is higher and be looking to further their education and get a masters or something but many are lucky to show up at school.
And what about the great teacher who's been handed a class of under achievers with parents who could care less about their education?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I love how someone who didn't even live here when Crist is governor is an alleged expert on his time in that office.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Please show me the FL tax cuts that only benefit the rich.....
The rich don't actually pay much more than sales and property tax in Florida so it is somewhat hard to cut their taxes. But they do benefit from various programs and loopholes. This is what people refer to when they say Scott's policies favor the wealthy. So do many of the Fla republicans' policies in congress, the state legislature's, as well as our governor's. Now all of them are tripping all over themselves to help those poor souls who own property on the water from having to pay thousands in flood insurance for their million dollar waterfront homes, while we have one of the highest rate of foreclosures in the nation. Developers can put a few cows next to developments and not pay taxes. Why do you think rich crooks come here?

You can sing Scott's press released praises all day. He won't get elected because people do not like him, see him as insincere and not as a leader.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I love how someone who didn't even live here when Crist is governor is an alleged expert on his time in that office.
Might as well say it. You are talking about me. Like when I lived in Ohio I was not suppose to post anything positive because I did not live here. Did you not know I spent a lot of time in Florida for many years and researched the state heavily as far back as 2000 prepping for a move here?

I love the fact that some people who have followed and know politics and did their homework like I did knew Crist very well. I know my politics very well thank you.

So now you have to be living here in the past to know anything about it? OMG this is insane.

Nice try.

Alleged when the facts prove me to be so darn correct.

I know Crist

Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The rich don't actually pay much more than sales and property tax in Florida so it is somewhat hard to cut their taxes. But they do benefit from various programs and loopholes. This is what people refer to when they say Scott's policies favor the wealthy. So do many of the Fla republicans' policies in congress, the state legislature's, as well as our governor's. Now all of them are tripping all over themselves to help those poor souls who own property on the water from having to pay thousands in flood insurance for their million dollar waterfront homes, while we have one of the highest rate of foreclosures in the nation. Developers can put a few cows next to developments and not pay taxes. Why do you think rich crooks come here?

You can sing Scott's press released praises all day. He won't get elected because people do not like him, see him as insincere and not as a leader.

Sounds like someone else we all know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: