Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 PM

32 posts, read 64,684 times

Advertisements

I relocated to east Ft. Lauderdale and in the three years that I’ve lived here, all I keep hearing/reading is how South Florida is a rat race filled with 3rd world immigrants. Almost every person that I have met seems to want to leave the area. I originally moved here to be close to my best friend and the ease of traveling to Peru, a country I volunteer and help poverty stricken kids, but now I think I made the wrong decision based on my health and the lack of stress free living. I just want a nice city with normal traffic, things to do, decent people, near the Beach without having to be a Donald Trump. This is really starting to affect my health. Another friend recommends North Palm Beach and another friend/Realtor wants to show me a Condo at the Ritz Carlton on Singer Island but at $1.2M bucks!

Honest opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 PM

167 posts, read 245,230 times
The Miami area is pretty big. You should do research online but MOST of all, do your own research by seeing for yourself. Because a lot of the Miami people that post, comment, etc. on the Internet are negative nancies, exaggerate everything, racist and more. Don't go by what people say. Find out for yourself, that's how you know the truth.

Personally, I'm a 22 year old student and live in Broward county, and I can't stand Broward. Or Palm Beach or most of Dade. And it's because I can't stand the suburbs, having to drive to get into the city, not having virtually anything to do, depending on a car or being far from the city. And obviously included in that is that pretty much everything is in the city.

The whole filled with 3rd world immigrants is something that isn't true and is what the negative nancies say. What's funny about you claiming most people you know want to leave the area is, that Florida is expected to surpass ny states population early this year and the Miami metro is by far the largest in Florida, so its something to consider because if it was so bad then so much people wouldn't be moving or living here.

What you want and look for can definitely be found here. You just have to research and see for yourself.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:42 PM

111 posts, read 147,548 times
Ft Lauderdale didnt seem bad at all but i could be wrong.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM

167 posts, read 245,230 times
I don't like it. It's just like most (not all) suburbs with a beach, very few things to do, which they range from lame, mediocre and decent, they get boring quick after doing it multiple times since theres not much else to do. Ghettos, low lifes, people thinking its best to be a low life, uneducated, commit crime, be mean, etc. And on top of that its far from the city and has one of the highest, if not, the highest percentage of people with HIV/aids in the country. The only thing it has over the others in Broward is that it has a couple of things like museums. For everything good it has, the city of Miami has it and does a billion times better. Even Miami beach and other beach areas in Dade county have it and do it better.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,069,191 times
Move North to St Augustine..

Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 AM

26,922 posts, read 43,436,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1940 View Post
I relocated to east Ft. Lauderdale and in the three years that I’ve lived here, all I keep hearing/reading is how South Florida is a rat race filled with 3rd world immigrants. Almost every person that I have met seems to want to leave the area. I originally moved here to be close to my best friend and the ease of traveling to Peru, a country I volunteer and help poverty stricken kids, but now I think I made the wrong decision based on my health and the lack of stress free living. I just want a nice city with normal traffic, things to do, decent people, near the Beach without having to be a Donald Trump. This is really starting to affect my health. Another friend recommends North Palm Beach and another friend/Realtor wants to show me a Condo at the Ritz Carlton on Singer Island but at $1.2M bucks!

Honest opinions?
Check out towns like Stuart, Jensen Beach and Tequesta which offer much more of a laidback vibe, much less traffic and generally nicer people. They're close enough to Palm Beach Gardens and West Palm Beach but out of the sphere of congestion.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:26 AM

652 posts, read 1,646,358 times
Downsize and you will be happy. Rent a small one bedroom apartment about three blocks from the beach for about $800 in Pompano Beach .

Old 01-13-2014, 02:57 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,641,389 times
It's what you make it.
No offense, but like....did u not do some basic research on the area before u moved? Ft Lauderdale is part of a much larger metro area....and with larger metro areas comes traffic and congestion.

Just because they planted some palm trees along the freeways and roads....and the weather remains not too cold doesn't mean your life will magically be any better or less stressful. You have to make a stress free life yourself. Perhaps take advantage of a secluded beach you like. Take advantage of the many parks in the area. If you encounter a bit of traffic....get over it! You'll be ok. Go to Key Biscayne and relax by the lighthouse and soak up the beautiful, relatively quiet beaches. Find a place in the keys that is ur little piece of paradise. Go out west... western broward is a little more rugged and less crowded. Find a park you like and just take walks along the trails.

I moved down here 12 years ago from Philly and while s FL has been an adjustment and has it's challenges... I'd take it over Philly anyday.

I've made it what I want it to be. I live in Hollywood, so it's just as congested as ft lauderdale... and I find my way to make it my personal paradise. You gotta want Ft Lauderdale to be stress-free on your own. Traffic and people are here to stay, can't change that. Also, think about north to a less built-up area. Perhaps Sebastion FL? Very low-key and laid-back. Palm Coast, Vero, Pt st Lucie, etc. Lots of small laid back towns on the west coast as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM

32 posts, read 64,684 times
I want opinions from folks all around Florida, not just people living in So. Florida. For this reason I posted in the General Forum. Also, I'm not reading responses by 20 something party-Guidos either. And, if you live and love Fort Lauderdale, don't respond. The caliber of people in Fort Lauderdale is trashy. Middle class almost nothing. It's rich and poor. I'm tired of all the scummy looking, low class people here. I'm seeking opinions from mature people who have experience living all over Florida.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:59 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,523,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1940 View Post
I want opinions from folks all around Florida, not just people living in So. Florida. For this reason I posted in the General Forum. Also, I'm not reading responses by 20 something party-Guidos either. And, if you live and love Fort Lauderdale, don't respond. The caliber of people in Fort Lauderdale is trashy. Middle class almost nothing. It's rich and poor. I'm tired of all the scummy looking, low class people here. I'm seeking opinions from mature people who have experience living all over Florida.
I suggest you move to some suburb farther up the coast then. I currently live in Orlando and the land of "Mickey" is just as "congested" and filled with crime as is SE Florida. The issue is Orlando is about 1/3rd. the size of metro Miami!
What exactly did you expect living in a metro with almost 6 million people and millions of tourists at the same time? Nirvana?
If you want a less stressful life move further up the coast. Also you claim to work with poverty stricken kids in Peru yet you are concerned with "3rd. World Immigrants" living around you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida