Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 AM

164 posts, read 652,681 times

Advertisements

YES I agree TAMPAKAREN HAS BEEN HONEST and up front on this board and on another board tks KAREN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 09:59 AM

92 posts, read 468,177 times
I feel for you-I'm in the same boat. We have a house in a deed restricted neighborhood on a little over one acre in Vero beach. We too are surrounded by wetlands, so it's like three acres or so. Private... Two story cape cod, 4/4, built by husband contractor-custom, old Walton's style home, large bedrooms, on and on...... Our biggest life investment and now we want to move and it's not even being looked at!!! I would think someone from up north that is used to big homes with dormers and nooks and crannies and interest (instead of stucco...) would be on it in a heartbeat, but no. We have it listed at $799, but would take less... how much less do we have to go to get a buyer???? I cant' believe this, and I have a very hard time not blaming the city councils and building depts. Why did they allow all of this building of spec homes and new developments three years ago-where did they think all the people to live in them were going to come from? Now we are one big empty house graveyard and a custom home like this is going to be worth half it's value!!! What a problem....

Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbayle View Post
I feel for you-I'm in the same boat. We have a house in a deed restricted neighborhood on a little over one acre in Vero beach. We too are surrounded by wetlands, so it's like three acres or so. Private... Two story cape cod, 4/4, built by husband contractor-custom, old Walton's style home, large bedrooms, on and on...... Our biggest life investment and now we want to move and it's not even being looked at!!! I would think someone from up north that is used to big homes with dormers and nooks and crannies and interest (instead of stucco...) would be on it in a heartbeat, but no. We have it listed at $799, but would take less... how much less do we have to go to get a buyer???? I cant' believe this, and I have a very hard time not blaming the city councils and building depts. Why did they allow all of this building of spec homes and new developments three years ago-where did they think all the people to live in them were going to come from? Now we are one big empty house graveyard and a custom home like this is going to be worth half it's value!!! What a problem....
May I ask what it cost you to build it, and when you completed it? Anything completed in 2004-late 2005 is very overvalued. Even if your husband built it, the material costs were jacked up during that time. One big vicious cycle.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:20 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbayle View Post
I cant' believe this, and I have a very hard time not blaming the city councils and building depts. Why did they allow all of this building of spec homes and new developments three years ago-where did they think all the people to live in them were going to come from? Now we are one big empty house graveyard and a custom home like this is going to be worth half it's value!!! What a problem....
With all due respect, isn't that what you did?

Old 11-30-2007, 04:09 PM

49 posts, read 180,080 times
I live in a similar area, except it's in Pasco County (central). Recent sales of similar properties (newer house approximately 2000 sq ft on one acre) have been about $350,000.

We tried to sell our house - a 2210 sq ft ranch on two dry acres that back up to a wellfield but took it off the market. (We had two realtors who made offers but then couldn't sell their own houses.) It would need to be priced at $280,000 to sell. It is an older house - 1971 but has been extensively renovated in the last ten years. Also very close to interstate and shopping (is that a blessing or curse?) We have decided to just stay put for the time being.

I do think with all the newer deed restricted developments that a property with room to run and to have horses has some leverage.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:06 PM

830 posts, read 1,064,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
Okay...so hubby got offered the job in MASS!!!! but due to house blahs here we are having to put off the move. His would be boss up there is willing to hold the job open for a year!!! awesome company, awesome boss....heres the thing....we are going to get an appraisal done on our house, but wanted outside opinions since you guys are more than 1 appraiser's insight.

My house is 2000+ square feet AC. It is 3 years old. Very open floor plan. It is acutally a 3/2, but in one of the bedrooms, we have a built in giant hutch instead of a closet. Would be easy to convert back, but makes a nice game room and den. Kitchen has all Viking appliances, granite countertops, custom cabinets. We have a pool. Floors are Amtico...really cool stuff....looks like wood, but it is really thick PVC...with 4 boxers, it is indestructable! 2 car garage, but has been split to make office. Also, with some creativity, it can be made into a 2 story as there is room up there, but we didnt need it.

We are on 3 acres with 500+ acres behind us that is supposedly wetlands, but there are tons of cows on there...we are in the middle of plant city, but not plant city proper...not the walden lakes district...we are in the country! What do you guys think it is worth? Our real estate lady said things will not get better until 2009! YIKES...she said sometime next year all the tons of foreclosures will begin to get cleared up and then we will see another dip in prices...yikes.... and then in mid 09 things should come back up, but very, very llittle. That stinks....

Anyway...any input would be appreciated....we are so happy to be moving...I can hardly stand it, but I don't want to make a stupid decision on this house!
You can't trust most Realtors. They want to make money quick. It's not to their advantage to get you the highest price possible. Don't feed into their scare tactics about how BADLY the market is. Everybody makes such a big deal about gas prices high but I am yet to notice less cars on the roads and highways or drivers slowing down! Wait till you get here (Boston Area) and see how little effort goes into conserving gas! We don't believe in blinkers or brakes! Those are for sissies! WATCH OUT!

My agent never did comps on my house and I had some serious unexpected family health problems I was needing to attend to when a low offer came on my house. I accepted a price much below my bottom line. It was perfect timing for the realtor because I was under such stress. it was only the next morning I woke up and realize what a huge mistake I made. My realtor said I would have a serious law suit on my hands if I backed out.

I know a lot of realtors won't like what I have to say, but now more than ever will you find bad realtors doing desperate things to make the sales. This is crap that your house is worth only what someone is willing to pay. This is Realtor gibish that people buy into and it's to get you to sell your house at a low price so it will move quickly.

Pay the $350 to get a true unbiased professional appraisal on your home. And MAKE your realtor use it as a SELLING tool. Don't trust a Realtor's comps. You don't have access to know for sure if they aren't picking homes that went for less money than others. I sure wish someone had given me that advice 3 weeks ago.

Personally, I wish I had just rented out my house and waited. But guess what my realtor said to that? "You rent your house out and someone will damage it and you'll have to renovate it all over again." SCARE TACTICS! That's how most of them make the sale!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:13 AM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times
Debi, you still out there? How did it work out?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
Mod Deleted

Just an FYI to you- I don't dispute that many realtors are dishonest, unprofessional, irresponsible, and I could go on and on. We met quite a few when we began our house search in Miami and then Tampa.

However the one you mention here, TampaKaren, is definitely the exception, and far from the average realtor. She pulled comps for us, spent much time with us, and educated us to be informed home buyers. She is experienced, honest and brings much to the table. I would recommend her to anyone and we found the perfect home ( and we were quite picky) for us with her help.

Last edited by sunrico90; 06-13-2008 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Orphaned post

Old 06-13-2008, 05:03 PM

830 posts, read 1,064,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Just an FYI to you- I don't dispute that many realtors are dishonest, unprofessional, irresponsible, and I could go on and on. We met quite a few when we began our house search in Miami and then Tampa.

However the one you mention here, TampaKaren, is definitely the exception, and far from the average realtor. She pulled comps for us, spent much time with us, and educated us to be informed home buyers. She is experienced, honest and brings much to the table. I would recommend her to anyone and we found the perfect home ( and we were quite picky) for us with her help.

I am very happy to hear you had a good experience with TampaKaren (of course if you are telling the truth). I just am real leary now when I hear Realtors say, "price it right, Sell it Quick". I think it better said, "If you want to sell your house QUICK, then price it right". Unless you are in foreclosure or being relocated, most people do not need to sell their house quick. IMO, I believe most people are willing to wait for the best price possible. Especially if that means an extra 10K in their pocket.

I remember less than 2 years ago the man across the street was selling his house and he was also a realtor. We was determined to get his asking price. Every weekend for months and months he had an open house. Some weekends both Saturday & Sunday. Did he get his asking price? Pretty close, asking price $289,000. selling price $280,000.

I didn't make up the proven theory that Realtors hold out longer for their asking price than homeowners. Proved to be true for my neighbor ... lucky guy!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
All,

Please discuss the topic and avoid personal attacks or criticizing an individual for his/her views. Please remember our main focus is to provide information to the members. While at times we attack the topic avoid engaging on a personal agenda. I have read according to the meter over 1 million post and our post shows who we are. So I respectfully ask to be civil, not offensive. Again discuss the issue, positive or negative replies are accepted, but attacks or insults are way off what this forum was designed for. If you feel that you can't be civil, please go and post someplace else.

Thank you.

PS: Don't forget to report a post if this breaks the rules, don't reply.

Last edited by sunrico90; 06-13-2008 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida