Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 42,853 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Ormond Beach area in January for his job. We're looking around at houses for sale and have found a couple in Halifax Plantation that we like. Does anyone know anything about this area? We have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and I'm not even sure they allow kids there. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Halifax Plantation is on the Volusia/Flagler County line. It's close to I-95 off Old Dixie Hwy and not too far (10 miles) from the beach. It was originally marketed as a golfing community and has grown. Downside is that you have to drive everywhere. There's a small shopping center nearby. Your taxes will be much lower if you're on the Flalger side. It's about 15 minutes from SR 40 (Granada Blvd.) in Ormond. I don't think any part of it is age-restricited. A very nice area.

Good Luck!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 25,460 times
I am from Volusia County, you will love it in Halifax Plantation! Believe me the driving thing is not that bad. I am in central Kentucky now and have to drive an hour one way to get to a Target which is 3 counties away. So in the grand scheme of things you are closer to amenities that most people think.

There are the usual HOA issues that you may want to check into, but that comes with the package of living in a housing development like this. If you are new to Florida, try to stay away from homes that back up to whatever the realtors may call a 'canal, lagoon, pond or lake' (really drainage ditches/water retention). They are really not safe since you have a small one. I have heard too many terrible stories about little ones drowning in them. They may be pretty to look at, but usually full of critters, mosquitoes, and gators like to hang out there as well. When we lived in Palm Coast, we had the hardest time finding a home we like that did not back up to one of these.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 22,044 times
I live in Halifax Plantation and love it! A previous post said we were 10miles from the ocean!!..don't think they are familiar with the location because we are 3.4miles from the ocean surrounded by 2 state parks (Tomoka and Bulow)...the beach we go to is actually part of a protected seashore area called the 'North Penisula State Rec Area' I'm sure if you have been here to Halifax you would be directed to take a ride to the beach! It's unlike any ride to the beach we had seen and that's part of what captured us..it is absolutely beautiful! This is not an age restricted community so people of all ages live here. We moved here from the Northeast and have made many wonderful friends from all over the country. We are always going to each other's houses for parties and such!
Before we moved here I did a lot of research regarding hurricanes and this area has never had a direct hit...yes, we had winds from Charlie and were on the lookout after that in '04 but since then...nothing! This area because of it's location (especially being 3miles inland) rarely is affected. Further, Halifax is probably at one of the highest elevations in this area (we are 36ft above sea level). Old Dixie (which borders Halifax) and is a designated scenic road is the line of demarcation for the 100 flood plain (basically, we are high and dry) especially for Florida.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:07 PM
ptm

16 posts, read 74,390 times
I also am interested in this area. What is the quality of the homes built there? Who are the reputable builders and who do you stay away from?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:42 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
PTM, you would do well to look into resales. The real estate market in this area is very soft right now and it's definitely a buyers market. You can probably pick up quite a home for a great price.

For info on local builders, run a google search on the builder's name. There are several business rating websites that are locally based.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:14 AM
ptm

16 posts, read 74,390 times
Pirate girl -

I do know the market is very soft now and I could get a good deal. From what I've read, though, the people reselling are often asking too much for their homes, and because you can buy a brand new home for close or even lower than resales, why would I even consider a resale?

Because I have friends in Halifax Plantation, I wanted to move there; however I am somewhat concerned about making a living there. Jobs are scarce and the middle class is almost non-existent, from what I've read.

I may have to either live in a larger city close to Ormond Beach (any suggestions?), or commute to a nearby city for work. I still have to research this for myself.

Maybe I should rent initially to actually determine what will be a good fit. Just trying to figure it all out!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 8,514 times
Default Halifax Plantation

My husband & I love it here. We are neither full time, nor part time, but often occasional dwellers. We looked at a couple of different places, but HP just felt right. They do allow children, but I do not know how many children live here. The homes are lovely, being from the NE we can not get over how polite & friendly everyone is. I guess you just have to come & look. This is a great time to buy!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:37 PM

147 posts, read 568,436 times
If you do your due diligence you can buy a resale for 50% less than value. There are foreclosures and short sales everywhere. Homeowners who are trying to sell are seeing the light and drastically reducing their asking price.
Check the tax assessors site and just make sure you don't pay more than the assessed value.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,181 times
I have a 1/2 acre lot for sale in Halifax Plantation section 1. It's on a cul de sac backed up to a greenbelt. Beautiful location to build your custom home. (954) 931-2149
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida