Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,409 times

Advertisements

Ok here is my cry for help. I purchased a vechile that is currently registered in another state the guy i got the vechile from says he will and has no problem providing me the bill of sale with his signature and printed name,purchase price,vin,drivers license number home address ect. This guy brought it from out of state with him and never transferred the title to his name and now the original owner is deceased. So what my question is. Can i still get a title will the bill of sale extremely detailed sacifice with the dmv if not is their any other options? Thanks in advance o yeah the vechile is a old beatup 1973 truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:30 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times
You need to get the title from that other state. Maybe from the estate of the deceased original owner.

Until you do, you don't own that truck in spite of some bill of sale from some guy who took your cash. Sorry.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
There are multiple amounts of threads on here dealing with purchasing, registering, getting a title for vehicles. Rule # 1 Never purchase a vehicle without the seller having possession of the title to the vehicle and the person selling the vehicle should have their name/signature on it.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 AM

45 posts, read 78,438 times
Sorry to say but you probably bought yourself a parts only vehicle. Slim chance you can track down the executor of the estate and get them to apply for a lost title to then sign over to you. Sad truth is that you will likely spend more time and money trying to legally own the vehicle than what you paid for it. Best to get out of it now if you can, chalk it up to a lesson learned and take your lumps.

However, if you have the energy to do it and really like the truck you'll start with a title search of the last owner through the bmv of last registered state. Once you have that information you can start searching public records and making phone calls to track down who dispersed the estate and had power of attorney over assets. That will be the person who can get a title for you. The internet has made it a lot easier than it used to be to track people down but it's still time consuming work.

Looks easy all written into a paragraph but it won't be. There will likely be a lot of dead ends and there is always the chance that when you find the person who has right to the truck (by estate) they can say they were wondering what happened to good ole uncle Joe's truck that he promised to his nephew, or that it was stolen years ago and they want their truck back. Then your out and there isn't a darn thing you can do.

I went through the whole process once tracking down a title for a motorcycle. I won't touch another vehicle without a clean and clear title in hand.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:21 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrflorida View Post
Ok here is my cry for help. I purchased a vechile that is currently registered in another state the guy i got the vechile from says he will and has no problem providing me the bill of sale with his signature and printed name,purchase price,vin,drivers license number home address ect. This guy brought it from out of state with him and never transferred the title to his name and now the original owner is deceased. So what my question is. Can i still get a title will the bill of sale extremely detailed sacifice with the dmv if not is their any other options? Thanks in advance o yeah the vechile is a old beatup 1973 truck.
I'm curious how the seller got the truck legally registered in another state without a title. You should not be able to get a vehicle registered in any state without a title.

You're not going to get a Florida title with just a bill of sale. If the vehicle meets the criteria for a salvaged/rebuilt vehicle, you could possibly get a salvage title but will need a certificate of origin from the manufacturer. On a 1973 truck that's probably going to be harder to track down than the original title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida