U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,818,269 times

Advertisements

You or I do this and we are charged with a serious crime. What a double standard, not even being disciplined. And they let this mental case carry a gun.
BSO sergeant lied about being stabbed, investigation reveals -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Last edited by macguy; 11-28-2007 at 06:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 06:35 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,514,122 times
What do you mean "Another"? Agree with the big picture, but just curious about that particular statement.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-28-2007 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 06:43 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,818,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
What do you mean "Another"?
I guess I was speaking from my experience with them.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:03 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,841,649 times
fact is there are people with problems in every field. Doctors, teachers, judges, etc.

judge jails 46 people in his courtroom after mobile phone ring:
Judge removed after jailing entire courtroom - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;;?xml=/news/2007/11/28/wjudge128.xml - broken link)

Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 PM

497 posts, read 1,499,453 times
Another thing is the officer is a woman. Women can get away with murder. I also love how women have lower standards to get into jobs like police and firefighters. For instance, a woman can do 10 less pushups and situps and gets over 2 minutes more to do the 1.5 mile run. How about 1 set of standards for everyone? Either that or lets have no standards. If a woman can't run and be as tough as the men they don't belong in the job. A bullet doesn't discriminate between a man and a woman. Most criminals are men (although women are catching up) so this means a man can run away from a woman cop better than a man cop.

If this was a man with "family problems at home" he would get suspended or fired from the force.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,352,659 times
"If a woman can't run and be as tough as the men they don't belong in the job".

Sometimes being "tough" and "running" is the last thing needed in certain law enforcement situations.
Many times it is a female that is needed on the scene for a domestic disturbance or
a rape, child abuse, lost child, removal of children from a home or performing physical body search etc. Not all officers are running around shooting bad guys.

As far as female firefighters I have seen some woman in this field and let me tell you these gals are BIG and as tough as the men. Not all woman are as tiny and dainty as you would like to make then out to be.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
"If a woman can't run and be as tough as the men they don't belong in the job".

Sometimes being "tough" and "running" is the last thing needed in certain law enforcement situations.
Many times it is a female that is needed on the scene for a domestic disturbance or
a rape, child abuse, lost child, removal of children from a home or performing physical body search etc. Not all officers are running around shooting bad guys.

As far as female firefighters I have seen some woman in this field and let me tell you these gals are BIG and as tough as the men. Not all woman are as tiny and dainty as you would like to make then out to be.
Maybe not, but they should have to pass the same standards as the men do.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 PM

61,282 posts, read 82,631,193 times
affirmative action has benefited mostly white females. not that they did not deserve it they do. the problem is the pie keeps getting smaller so the fight over it is getting more fierce. i have never seen so much anger over well paid civil servants as now.
people are hurting.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 25,483,043 times
This is yet another reason that I believe that police officers should be subject to the law just like the rest of us. Why is it that if one gets shot it incurs a different penalty than if anyone else does? Who protects the citizens if a police officer assults them? I think a law abiding citizen should have the right to use deadly force if a police officer threatens their life. They even give this protection to vicious animals, police dogs.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:21 PM

Actually from what I was reading, the Florida Highway Patrol has the best standards. It's not based on running and pushups, it's based on actual job functions. The running is minimal...2 sprints of 220 yards and men and women do the same test. Here are the details..

The Physical Abilities Test (PAT) will assess physical attributes that reflect core enabling knowledge, skills, and abilities, and essential tasks common for law enforcement officers. The PAT is conducted in a time dependent continuous flow manner. The PAT determines the participant's level of physical condition and aerobic capacity. A series of tasks measure specific physical abilities. These tasks are:

1. exiting a vehicle/opening a trunk
2. running 220 yards
3. completing an obstacle course
4. dragging a 150 pound dummy
5. obstacle course
6. running 220 yards
7. dry firing a weapon six times with each hand
8. placing items in a trunk/entering a vehicle

Applicants must complete the course in 6:04

FHP Physical Abilities Test/Career Opportunities

This is a lot more fair than having a set number of pushups, situps, and running a mile and a half that are different standards for men and women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>