Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 9,362 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Florida after selling house in NC. Need within 1 1/2 he from Apopka and 1/2 hr. of military base with hospital, Exchange, commissary. any one that can give info, thanks big time in advance

Last edited by OleIrish; 01-21-2014 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: update reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 AM

26,825 posts, read 43,286,237 times
MacDill Air Base in Tampa would be your option. It has the commissary, exchange and USAF hospital on base. Check out the Carrollwood/Lake Magdalene area of North Tampa or Temple Terrace on the northeast side of Tampa, which would place you within 30 minutes of MacDill and an hour and a half from Apopka.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Thank you kyle19125, was looking at Patrick AFB also? What would be the pors and cons on both if you happen to know.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
There's no hospital on MacDill, just a large clinic.

http://www.macdill.af.mil/units/6thmedicalgroup/

Old 02-02-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There's no hospital on MacDill, just a large clinic.

http://www.macdill.af.mil/units/6thmedicalgroup/
Thanks for clarifying. I knew it was a large facility so assumed a hospital, and guess it probably was at some point given the building size. I think the OP was looking for regular medical visits which the clinic should still be able to provide.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleIrish View Post
Thank you kyle19125, was looking at Patrick AFB also? What would be the pros and cons on both if you happen to know.
If I were retired (which I'm guessing might be your case) I would opt for Patrick AFB over MacDill AFB due to one primary concern....traffic. The traffic in the Tampa Bay area can be pretty horrendous and much less in the Melbourne area. The cost of living and housing costs will be less as well with more for the money near Patrick AFB. I would recommend checking out Satellite Beach and South Patrick Shores which have a large active/retiree military population, as well as Merritt Island or North Melbourne off of the Pineda Causeway. All are well within an hour and a half of Apopka.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 AM

Thanks to both of you. Yes I have been retired since 1989. I am thinking more of Patrick. Another concern my wife has is the Hurricanes in the Patrick area being on the east coast of Florida. How are they when they come and do they have many?

Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleIrish View Post
Thanks to both of you. Yes I have been retired since 1989. I am thinking more of Patrick. Another concern my wife has is the Hurricanes in the Patrick area being on the east coast of Florida. How are they when they come and do they have many?
We haven't had a hurricane affect the state for nearly 10 years but when they do that area of the state is lightly affected. The very powerful Gulfstream current off the east coast of Florida begins it's pull out to sea just offshore of the central part of the state, making hurricane landfalls very unlikely in the area as they typically are pulled out to sea and northward toward the Carolinas and NY/NJ. The only concern is usually crossover storms (from the Gulf of Mexico) which have happened a few times over the past hundred years or so, resulting in mostly minor damage.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I knew it was a large facility so assumed a hospital, and guess it probably was at some point given the building size. I think the OP was looking for regular medical visits which the clinic should still be able to provide.
Not long ago, they did have an inpatient hospital, but demolished it and built this very nice outpatient clinic - MacDill has some very good facilities (golf, BX, commissary). I think Patrick AFB has those amenities as well (I only visited there once to golf and see a shuttle launch). I enjoyed that area (Satellite Beach) but it seemed depressed secondary to NASA's downsizing. I think you'll find a buyer's market.

Never been up to Eglin AFB, another spot that OP may look at. Jacksonville as a couple of Naval Air Stations - but don't know their hospital. I liked the JAX area, though and could find myself living there instead of TB. Also has traffic issues from my experience - great golf courses in JAX NAS.

If you were to visit MacDill today, you'd see a large number of transient RVers who relocate to the base every fall and leave in April.......it's really interesting to see the campgrounds fill up and then empty every year. I can assume that JAX and Eglin/Patrick have similar deals (RV sites). Some of those RVs are as expensive as my home........might be something you consider to do, live in each area for a winter to see if you like it before completely relocating.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,851,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Not long ago, they did have an inpatient hospital, but demolished it and built this very nice outpatient clinic - MacDill has some very good facilities (golf, BX, commissary). I think Patrick AFB has those amenities as well (I only visited there once to golf and see a shuttle launch). I enjoyed that area (Satellite Beach) but it seemed depressed secondary to NASA's downsizing. I think you'll find a buyer's market.

Never been up to Eglin AFB, another spot that OP may look at. Jacksonville as a couple of Naval Air Stations - but don't know their hospital. I liked the JAX area, though and could find myself living there instead of TB. Also has traffic issues from my experience - great golf courses in JAX NAS.

If you were to visit MacDill today, you'd see a large number of transient RVers who relocate to the base every fall and leave in April.......it's really interesting to see the campgrounds fill up and then empty every year. I can assume that JAX and Eglin/Patrick have similar deals (RV sites). Some of those RVs are as expensive as my home........might be something you consider to do, live in each area for a winter to see if you like it before completely relocating.
Look at NAS Pensacola, Stay while on hurricane duty and its mot bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida