Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 AM

94 posts, read 111,605 times

Advertisements

Look, give it up, posters...this is an old thread, started 12 YEARS ago about Wegmans, and lookit, they still ain't coming to Florida....

Publix is ALREADY IN their BACKYARD and kicking butt in the Carolina Division, they ain't kicking nobody's butt anywhere close to Florida...I'd want to see how they would do in a booming mega city like Atlanta (where Publix just about owns the town now after a few short years)....or I'd like to see how Wegmans would do in booming/jamming Nashville, where Publix entered the market with firecrackers and continues to EXPAND and make big money.

Wegmans ?? nobody cares here in FLORIDA

Give it up people, give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 12:30 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,894,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride The WAVE View Post
Look, give it up, posters...this is an old thread, started 12 YEARS ago about Wegmans, and lookit, they still ain't coming to Florida....

Publix is ALREADY IN their BACKYARD and kicking butt in the Carolina Division, they ain't kicking nobody's butt anywhere close to Florida...I'd want to see how they would do in a booming mega city like Atlanta (where Publix just about owns the town now after a few short years)....or I'd like to see how Wegmans would do in booming/jamming Nashville, where Publix entered the market with firecrackers and continues to EXPAND and make big money.

Its more for us transplants to muse about what it would be like, than to actually believe they would come here. I was just at a Wegmans last week and after 2.5 years in Florida and I appreciate it more than I ever did when I lived in WNY. The only way Wegmans would come to Florida was if they bought out some Winn Dixie locations or someone else to get some prime real estate, but other much larger companies have tried and failed (Albertsons, Safeway). Kroger inherited a Harris Teeter in Fernandina Beach. Wegmans is slow and steady and does not have the financial wherewithal to go up against Publix with 800 stores, 7 distribution centers and 3 manufacturing facilities blanketing the state. In addition people here, for the most part, love Publix and would be in no hurry to switch.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:53 PM

253 posts, read 377,928 times
I had a conversation some years ago with a Wegmans employee who worked in the real estate division. I asked if there were any plans for Florida (because we planned to relocate) and he explained that they didn't have the infrastructure to support it. They had recently finished the supply hub in Virginia and planned to expand into areas that could be supported by that hub. Florida was simply too far away.

Hubby and I now split our time between NY and Florida. We shop at a mix of Publix, Aldi's and EarthFare. For Floridians who think that Publix is in any way comparable...Think again! We like Publix and think that their offerings are okay. To us, they are like Price Chopper stores but with nicer employees. Publix subs are good, but a Wegman's sub is so much better due to the type of bread that is used. I can eat Publix baked goods but they taste like those from any other grocery store.

I think that some folks don't understand that Wegmans is more than just a place to buy name brand food. The store is a combination restaurant/grocery store/real bakery/pharmacy. It is the place that you stop when you need something quick for dinner but want it to taste like you've been cooking all day. The closest thing to Wegmans' ready-made food that I can find in Florida is at EarthFare! Of course, EarthFare is pricey because it is more of a healthy-foods grocer. One of the reasons why I'd like to have a Wegmans in Florida is that their store brands don't have a lot of preservatives in them. A loaf of their sandwich bread will get moldy as opposed to some of the national brands. I prefer to have food in my food, not preservatives.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:08 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride The WAVE View Post

Dude calm down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The only way Wegmans would come to Florida was if they bought out some Winn Dixie locations or someone else to get some prime real estate, but other much larger companies have tried and failed (Albertsons, Safeway). Kroger inherited a Harris Teeter in Fernandina Beach. Wegmans is slow and steady and does not have the financial wherewithal to go up against Publix with 800 stores, 7 distribution centers and 3 manufacturing facilities blanketing the state. In addition people here, for the most part, love Publix and would be in no hurry to switch.
Based on what I hear about Wegmans, the Winn-Dixie buildings are too small for a Wegmans by-out. But there are empty K-Marts that may fit the bill. If Kroger ever expands into Florida outside of their investment relationship with Lucky's Market, I wonder if they will do it under the Kroger banner to attract the snowbirds/transplants or under the more Publix-like Harris Teeter banner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
I think that some folks don't understand that Wegmans is more than just a place to buy name brand food. The store is a combination restaurant/grocery store/real bakery/pharmacy. It is the place that you stop when you need something quick for dinner but want it to taste like you've been cooking all day. The closest thing to Wegmans' ready-made food that I can find in Florida is at EarthFare! Of course, EarthFare is pricey because it is more of a healthy-foods grocer. One of the reasons why I'd like to have a Wegmans in Florida is that their store brands don't have a lot of preservatives in them. A loaf of their sandwich bread will get moldy as opposed to some of the national brands. I prefer to have food in my food, not preservatives.
It seems as though Earth Fare is the loser so far in regard to the three "Whole Foods alternatives" that have expanded into Florida, which are Lucky's, Sprouts, and Earth Fare. At least in Orlando. Lucky's is the winner in my opinion. It seems like all of the Lucky's in Orlando are hovering between 4 and 5 stars on Yelp while Sprouts and Earth Fare are hovering between 3 and 4 starts, with Earth Fare receiving some harsh reviews.

The big Publix in SODO Orlando has always been a zoo regardless of new competition in the area. Super Target and Walmart Market have opened up nearby in the past decade and, at least anecdotally, haven't impacted them much. Then there's the local Freshfields Farm (meat and produce), which is also a madhouse on the weekends and thankfully still appears to be doing well. Lucky's opened right next door in January or so and is always packed the handful of times I've been there. However, I've been to the new Earth Fare in the area twice on a SUNDAY afternoon and it's dead in comparison to Lucky's and the big Publix. It's next to the main campus of a hospital and auxiliary medical buildings/offices, so maybe weekday lunchtime and post-work rush are their peaks. While I'm sure Earth Fare is fine for purchasing items to cook, I've been let down by the prepared items I've bought there. I've forced myself to settle for something there because I didn't feel like going anywhere else lol. They do have the best selection of whole bean coffee in the area and even matching or exceeding Whole Foods, a huge bulk spice selection (which is foolishly placed in the personal care and supplements area instead of next to the SPICE aisle), and they will run specials on grass-finished beef at the same price as grain-finished beef at the other stores. I hope they do well.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:38 PM

We love Freshfield Farms, too bad its so far away from us. Its a 50/50 butcher shop - fresh produce. There is one in Orlando and one in Jax. Jax is getting a Sprouts on July 10th, I always love a new place to shop.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 PM

17,114 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We love Freshfield Farms, too bad its so far away from us. Its a 50/50 butcher shop - fresh produce. There is one in Orlando and one in Jax. Jax is getting a Sprouts on July 10th, I always love a new place to shop.
Yep. Freshfield Darms is BY FAR my favorite grocery store in the state. Glad to have one nearby.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:55 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
Can we talk about Ohrbach’s , Bamberger’s or Alexander’s?

Old 06-11-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Can we talk about Ohrbach’s , Bamberger’s or Alexander’s?
I remember Ohrbach's, Gimbels and E.J. Korvette (I used to buy my Aurora Model Motoring cars there). It was my favorite store when we went back to NYC. Ohrbacks had great clothes at good prices. Gimbels used to have price wars with Macy's and it was a blast watching the prices go down and down and down.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
It seems as though Earth Fare is the loser so far in regard to the three "Whole Foods alternatives" that have expanded into Florida, which are Lucky's, Sprouts, and Earth Fare.
I would have to agree and having known Earth Fare from my many times visiting their store in Asheville was excited to see their arrival. However the corporate brass botched the design elements for expansion so badly to the point where it bears little resemblance to the rustic/crunchy vibe see in NC, and instead is conceptually a look CVS might adopt if they planned on selling groceries also. Just bored to tears...and I will say Sprouts is right on their heels too though with a very underwhelming concept as well.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 AM

648 posts, read 516,918 times
In my travels to CO, AZ, and FL I'd been a big fan of Sprouts as an alternative to Whole Foods (I love Whole Foods, but alternatives are always welcome). I found their prices to be a bit lower in general, and the quality and variety is very nice, IMO. A Sprouts finally just opened up here in my (current) home State of NJ, and I was rather shocked to see how much more expensive many of the items were compared to my two Whole Foods locations nearby. In other places - especially in CO - Sprouts always made me feel like I was getting a better deal along with an equally planet friendly vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida