Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:33 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Key Largo's location (30 minutes from Homestead) might be a good option given a need for everyday services beyond a grocery store, etc and inclusive of good medical facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Key Largo's location (30 minutes from Homestead) might be a good option given a need for everyday services beyond a grocery store, etc and inclusive of good medical facilities.
Don't think I'd care to get medical care in Homestead. Most of our friends in south Dade are getting most of their medical care at Baptist these days - and it's about 45 miles from Key Largo. Robyn

Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Haven't been on here in a while.

Don't have a lot of time, but the points about medical care are important. It really depends on one's personal situation. I will get a physician here so I have someone to coordinate emergencies or help with something like getting an infection from a coral scratch, but my doctors are all in Miami. It takes me an hour to get to them (for those in the city) and 45 min. for those in the suburbs, but I don't find that to be an issue. I used to live in Kendall, and it took me just as long to go from there because of traffic east-west, which is horrendous in Miami because there are not enough highways running that way. I have lived in other major cities, and it took even longer. But it is a reason I live in the Upper Keys, because I need some specialized care that only exists in Miami.

Another note that I guarantee you won't find anywhere else on the internet, is that govt. market healthcare plans are the most expensive in all of Florida in Monroe County. That is very relevant because so many people move here who do not have jobs that include benefits. The cheapest plan is I think in the low 300s/mo currently. The reason it is so expensive is there are not that many people in the Keys, and not as many plans want to foot the bill to come down for a small market, so you only have a choice of two companies and not many people on the plan locally to spread out the risk for the company. It's a new system so that may change in future years, but as of 2014 is accurate. Please, no one comment about anything political, this is important information and simply a fact, there is nothing else to say about this comment. Let's keep this thread enjoyable and entertaining, and not alienate anyone.

It's hard to give advice specifically about living in Marathon or Naples, as I have not lived in either. I do think your plan to visit both and look at houses in each is a good one. Choosing what island in the Keys is all about what you're looking for. The Upper Keys was most practical for me, but some would rather be further from the mainstream/mainland US. It's true, evacuations for hurricanes are not frequent, but are more so in the Keys because they are pretty much at sea level and surrounded. I also did not want the nightmare of driving that long way in bumper-to-bumper, especially if there were a really bad one and stations ran out of gas. But that's a nightmare scenario, obviously most people in the Keys have managed just fine.

The only thing I could say off the top of my head without more specific questions, is that buying a house is expensive, and so the idea of selling it in 1-3 years might lose you a good chunk of money, for a lot of added responsibility. If I was unsure about staying, I would probably rent for a least a year first (and the whole time if you're not planning to stay at least 4 or 5 years, because you need to make up the cost of a realtor and possibly real estate attorney, plus both moves, and the market may not improve that fast if at all to cover it). That goes for either Marathon or Naples. Don't get yourself in a situation where the market is on the rise (as it is now), and then it crashes and you can't afford to sell but you want out and have no choice but to take a huge hit or go into foreclosure. Consider that finances can change if there is an illness or something you don't foresee. I have done well in my real estate choices, but only because I am extremely careful and research a ton. Each house I researched for 2 years nearly daily before purchasing. I personally wouldn't buy unless you're staying a while, but I know people need different situations.

Last edited by StarfishKey; 05-01-2014 at 08:15 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post

I am trying to gather all the information I can to make a round trip. (Coming from Texas) What is the best time be on the road down there to AVOID the Keys traffic? Early morning? Late evening? I am planning on driving it during the week after Memorial wkend.

How many days does someone recommed you take to drive it entirely? Not too keen on spending a lot on hotel rooms. In fact, I would love doing this gypsy style and live out of my truck for a couple of days. (Do people do that down there? Does the law harrass people for doing this?)

I really have a lot of questions - but trying to find my answers through googling.

There are lots of threads (many of which I've posted to myself, in my usual very detailed style) about visiting the Keys. If you do an advanced search of "Florida Keys," "Key Largo," "Key West," etc., you'll get a ton of good info here on C.-D.

For your specific questions, let me take a stab -

One can never entirely predict Keys traffic. But, generally speaking, the lightest times are non-commute and non-lunch times during weekdays, on days that are not holidays, not periods of time when kids nationally are off from school, and not local festivals. Consider also that a festival anywhere along the Keys can slow traffic even at the other end of the Keys 100 miles away, so look at a calendar for the WHOLE Keys. I personally find driving in the middle of the night in the Keys dangerous, so I wouldn't try that to save time. There are wild animals occasionally that will get on stretches of road in more remote areas, but most importantly there are a lot of drunk drivers, and sometimes the truckers get very reckless. Most of the accidents that result in death on the Overseas Hwy are very late at night. Remember too that sometimes a little traffic is a benefit in the Keys, because if it's moving consistently at say 30mph and you're in your island time vacation mode (and no one who drives in the Keys should EVER be on anything else, you're here to relax!), it gives you more time to enjoy the great sites of the drive, which has been rated as one of the most scenic in the country.

Oddly, YouTube has videos posted of that drive, so you can see it beforehand.

Not sure how many days you want to do the trip in. I have done the nonstop thing, driving from NY to the FL, and it is not fun, nor is it safe for yourself or other people on the road. So do break it up and give yourself ample time to sleep. I don't know about sleeping in the truck by the hwy or in rest stops or parking lots in FL. I do know that that can be dangerous, even if you don't get hassled by law enforcement. One thing I can tell you is that in the Keys you will be hassled, because a lot of people who do that have actually MOVED here and they LIVE in their cars. Local law enforcement is not a fan of that.

There are a lot of cheap and fairly clean/safe motels along the way with lots of reviews - just find one along the highway that is not near a major destination and you'll get really cheap prices. You can also consider bringing a tent and stopping at campsites, or renting a cabin. Do consider though that it might be crazy hot and also wet in either the truck or a tent, and with a truck you might not be able to keep the windows down because of mosquitoes. The Keys will be expensive though compared to elsewhere. You can do $50 or less though at a campsite or in one of the cabins or RVs they offer if it's not peak season. Short of that you could try posting on craigslist for a home to stay in or a yard to camp in on the cheap, but consider that that also might be dangerous.

The Florida Keys/Monroe County craigslist is crazy active, with sometimes 300 or more posts per day on the sales page. It is also a fascinating place to learn about what life is really like in the Keys, between that and local news sites like KeysNet.com, you can't get a better picture of what it's like here. Rarely could you get better free entertainment anywhere either, some of that stuff is a goldmine! [Note for those who want to move how many items are for sale, old cruddy items at OUTRAGEOUS prices - it gives you a sense of how many people here are desperate for money. The jobs section will also give you a good idea of that. The saddest thing you will ever read is in the general post section, where families will post asking for help because they are homeless and there is no room in the shelters.]

OK, that's the best I can do with those questions. Hopefully that gives some idea.

Enjoy the trip!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post

This is one of the most informative posts I've read about the Keys...Thanks StarfishKey

I am trying to gather all the information I can to make a round trip. (Coming from Texas) What is the best time be on the road down there to AVOID the Keys traffic? Early morning? Late evening? I am planning on driving it during the week after Memorial wkend.

How many days does someone recommed you take to drive it entirely? Not too keen on spending a lot on hotel rooms. In fact, I would love doing this gypsy style and live out of my truck for a couple of days. (Do people do that down there? Does the law harrass people for doing this?)

I really have a lot of questions - but trying to find my answers through googling.
I drive from Miami to Key West quite frequently and it has never taken me more the 3 1/2 hours. I usually leave around 9-10 AM on a weekday and traffic is never much more than a few slowpokes here and there. If you drive it on a weekend, I'm sure it would take longer, so try to avoid doing that.
Living out of your truck is probably not a good idea, unless you use one of the campgrounds along the way. The police will find you if try and park somewhere and sleep, because you're taking income away from the local hotels and campgrounds. One possible way to get around this is if you set yourself to do some night fishing. If you're fishing, and happen to fall asleep in your chair, I doubt the cops will even notice you then.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
We go down to Key West every year, but in moving to FL, we have bought in Port Charlotte. I have talked with many people who go down and in 1-3 years are moving out, just get tired of the life style, limited job opportunities. The ones who survive have developed tourist-related businesses (shops, hotels, etc).

Given the costs of living in the Keys, would recommend living in FL proper, and taking extended vacations in the Keys unless you are very well off.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:33 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Very good information on the variance of health care insurance premiums based on counties. I didn't know that. It's the sort of info one wouldn't know unless you went through the enrollment process, which unfortunately is not available until the enrollment period reopens in November.

That's the sort of thing that needs to be factored in if someone is considering moving to a place like the Keys. As a friend of mine once said in Hawaii, "we pay a price to live here", and he wasn't talking about the money. He meant the daily inconveniences of living off the mainland, the lack of a real economy, the boredom that sometimes hits, the lack of good health care (folks on the Big Island often have to fly to O'ahu for any specialty treatment, which is not cheap), etc. Not much different than the Keys.

I too think that for most people, living on the Florida mainland and going to visit the Keys would be the best of both worlds. We went through hurricane evacuations in Galveston, and they are stressful and scary.

Last edited by smarino; 05-03-2014 at 02:49 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
As a friend of mine once said in Hawaii, "we pay a price to live here", and he wasn't talking about the money. He meant the daily inconveniences of living off the mainland, the lack of a real economy, the boredom that sometimes hits, the lack of good health care (folks on the Big Island often have to fly to O'ahu for any specialty treatment, which is not cheap), etc. Not much different than the Keys.

I too think that for most people, living on the Florida mainland and going to visit the Keys would be the best of both worlds. We went through hurricane evacuations in Galveston, and they are stressful and scary.
That's certainly true. It's a fantasy, and like most fantasies, it's not as perfect in real life. It's hard to enjoy Keys life if you don't have a lot of money and good health, because aside from affording where you live which can be tough, if you're not in Key West generally you also need to maintain a vehicle, groceries can be expensive and the produce is actually considerably worse quality and of less variety than in mainland stores (you can grow your own but it takes a lot of work and money because the soil here is generally too alkaline to grow anything and there is not enough rain half the year to keep crops alive), and there is a lot of pressure to buy a boat - which then becomes another thing to constantly drain your bank account because sea-worthy boats (even used ones) cost a lot more than people think. Most people who come here without significant savings are working 3 jobs just to pay the rent, so rarely have the time to go out and enjoy the reason they moved here. Eventually they burn out and have to leave.

I'm very lucky to work from home most of the time, and I enjoy the simple things in life without going to all the restaurants or having a boat for now. I like just sitting in the yard and watching the birds, or the stars when the sky is clear. But it is a very isolated and slow life for most, and unless you have the bank account to go diving all the time off your own boat or whatever, a lot of people wouldn't like it after a few months.

One needs to consider also that often you won't see your friends or family for a long time. They may not have the money or the time to come all the way down to visit, and even people living in Miami don't always want to make the trip because it's a good 3 hrs round trip, or much more if you live further down the chain or they live further North. If you want to visit your people you'll have to take a mammoth road trip, or quite a trek to get to an airport and visit by air, neither of which is cheap.

The one thing we have in the Keys though that is a huge leg up over life in Hawaii, is a road to most of the islands and to the mainland. You can order things on Amazon every day of the week if you wanted so shopping for many items is easy if a little expensive, and you can get to the mainland including a major city, and other islands, without difficulty. But you do need a working car, and if it breaks down that might be a problem to get specialty service if needed, and a tow might be a long way. If you are one who goes to a dealership or you have a hybrid that needs special knowledge and equipment, you're going to have a very long way to go (up to Miami).

Long-term Keys people tend to be very independent. They fix everything themselves and do all their own work, or have the money to ship in and pay for everything they want at the other extreme. They don't rely a lot on other people for services generally (you can't because a lot of the local workforce you can hire either doesn't have the expertise and equipment they need, or are completely irresponsible), and they can manage going a long time without seeing relatives or friends from elsewhere. So, you either should be super handy/resourceful, or super rich. People who are used to and expect a dearth of repair shops, stores, services, and restaurants to choose from will not be happy. The Keys are generally speaking for very low-maintenance people who don't mind a lot of work for a low-glamour lifestyle. Think t-shirts, flip-flops, and a truck; not designer clothes and a high-maintenance sports car.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:36 AM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
The Florida keys rock!! Quit considering it and just move asap

Old 05-18-2014, 08:07 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
It looks like the OP posted back in February, and posted nothing since. They must not have been very serious about moving to the keys.

I visited the keys a few times. The longest visit was about a month. But that was decades ago back when there was a one small road all the way down to key west. I think the guard rails were the original train tracks too. There was a 12" water main running all the way down there. During the middle of the day, the water was just a trickle of water when the faucet was turned on full. I think you would need your own water storage tank and fill it up overnight. Maybe the water problem has been fixed after several decades. We usually stayed at MM 28.5 or MM 32, in Little Torch Key or Big Pine Key, renting houses.

Now that we are getting closer to retirement, I might consider snowbirding or moving to the keys. I don't know if the humidity is tolerable in the summer compared to elsewhere in Florida, like Tampa. Maybe there is a more breeze from the the ocean to help make the hot and humid weather more tolerable. The risk of hurricanes is a problem. I heard that people get tired of the evacuations for all the hurricanes, when most of them probably veer away or dissipate. The cost of living is much cheaper in the keys and much less isolated than Hawaii, which is another possible retirement location choice for us.

We would like to be able to grow banana, jackfruit, mango, orange, lemon, lime, and other tropical trees. I assume you could haul in compost and dirt to improve the soil conditions. I remember seeing a lot of mangrove, coral and skuffy grass from decades ago. I think it's time for another visit, maybe next winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida