Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,276 times

Advertisements

Hi Floridians:

Need you advice on move to Florida. Briefly about us:
1. We're both Asians, new married with son.
2. Both from Cali moved to NJ (wife wanted to try NJ)
3. Both working as a Nail Tech currently.
4. We don't have family members in NJ, mine are in Cali, her's in Cali + FL.
5. Currently own our mobile home in family park.

What we feel living in NJ so far:

1. We don't really like the winters here. Too cold for my wife, hate being stuck in house, high winter gas bills. I grew up in Calif new SF, so its cooler and not that hot. Wife is from San Jose area (hot + dry). The humidity here in NJ is not that bad or long either.

2. She wants to open her own shop, but the shop rentals here in NJ is very expensive. We currently work for someone, but during the winter months here, its slow to a crawl, since our salary is based on commission. Also, tough to look for good reliable employees, they tend to jump from shop to shop like bunnies.

3. She wants to move to a warmer area to open her shop, so that we at least get steady business through out the year. She got some family+cousins down in FL that asked her to move down there. Since she wanted to have family business going. I don't have or know anyone in FL, besides my wife's side.

4 In California - Bay Area, I'm used to the conveniences of things and its diversity. Such as lots of different foods to eat, Asian markets, food cost is minimal. Where I'm living now, I can't get fresh live seafood at most times, its all fresh frozen. The nearest Asian market is 40mins away, other than that, I have to drive to Philly every few months to restock my food supplies. Oh, the amount of tolls here in NJ is crazy, unlike in Ca.

5. So far, what I found out about FL is that, even though the cost of living is more affordable, but the overall cost of home/auto insurance, utility bills, tolls, tooo many old folks driving blindly on the roads, poisonous snakes, bugs everywhere, the humidity is what causes me to not move down to FL. Also, I found on this forum that FL is either you Like it or Not. Keep in mind that we're both have never lived/visited any parts of FL ever.

(not in anyway to disrespect or trample on any Floridians) Everywhere, everyplace has its Pro's/Con's.

This is what I found on the net about moving to FL: MOVE ANYWHERE BUT FLORIDA!!!

With that in mind, does any local Floridians have any suggestions as to which areas that might be a good fit for a young Asian 40ish couple with new son to look at in terms of living and opening our new nail business?

I know that in all cases relative, there are some good areas and not so good areas to open a small business like a nail salon.

We both would love to move back to Cali, but the cost of living and taxes is killing it. Some day, I would love to move to Orange County or San Diego.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:23 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
http://www.asiatrend.org/ is a good source to start your research.

Orlando and Tampa Bay have the most Asian influence in Florida if that's what your looking for. They are both comparable in price. There is considerable competition in the nail market in both areas. Orlando has many Asian restaurants and grocery stores. Tampa has the beach and a fairly large Asian population. Orlando may be slightly more diverse and tends to be slightly colder but nowhere near a harsh winter. Both areas have varied housing stock. I think you could be happy in both.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Asia Trend - :: Asian events videos & albums in Florida :: is a good source to start your research.

Orlando and Tampa Bay have the most Asian influence in Florida if that's what your looking for. They are both comparable in price. There is considerable competition in the nail market in both areas. Orlando has many Asian restaurants and grocery stores. Tampa has the beach and a fairly large Asian population. Orlando may be slightly more diverse and tends to be slightly colder but nowhere near a harsh winter. Both areas have varied housing stock. I think you could be happy in both.
Seems like a bad time to start a nail business in the Tampa area, lots of people cutting back on luxury personal care. It's more of a working class area. And you're right, the nail business is pretty saturated. There's a lot more money for that sort of thing in the South Florida area, more affluent group of immigrants and investors and such, more emphasis on appearance. When I lived there, my neighbor got her nails done every single week without fail.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Seems like a bad time to start a nail business in the Tampa area, lots of people cutting back on luxury personal care. It's more of a working class area. And you're right, the nail business is pretty saturated. There's a lot more money for that sort of thing in the South Florida area, more affluent group of immigrants and investors and such, more emphasis on appearance. When I lived there, my neighbor got her nails done every single week without fail.
This. Though I would think that Orlando and maybe Tampa has a more prominent Asian population (but not anything like Cali, the NE, Chicago, etc.).

Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
This. Though I would think that Orlando and maybe Tampa has a more prominent Asian population (but not anything like Cali, the NE, Chicago, etc.).
The problem is, the more of an Asian population in an area, the more competition in the nail business. When I used to take the Crosstown into Tampa, there was this really nice Filipino lady who worked at one of the toll booths and was also in the nail business, which is what she really enjoyed doing. She would always look at my nails and tsk-tsk in a nice way because they needed attention, lol.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:10 PM

I guess everyone has to make a choice when they move to an area: which is more important, friends & family, or $$? It's great to have both, but the economic realities are a whole lot different now in the US than it used to be, and it's not going to get better any time soon. I've met a number of people who came here from other countries and thought they'd have US customers with lots of $$ to spend and found out, not so much anymore. Much unhappiness.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:18 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest_313 View Post
Hi Floridians:

Need you advice on move to Florida. Briefly about us:

4. We don't have family members in NJ, mine are in Cali, her's in Cali + FL.
Random thought. I find that so intriguing that your wife has family on virtually opposite sides of the country that she is in close contact with.

Quote:
We both would love to move back to Cali, but the cost of living and taxes is killing it. Some day, I would love to move to Orange County or San Diego.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Honestly, my advice is to just have faith. If you want to move back to California, you should. California is your home state and filled with the people and life you love. If you have faith that everything will work out, it will. But if you insists on moving to Florida, I recommend areas that are low in Asian population (because of competition) but are really great towns. Daytona Beach, Vero Beach, Stuart, or on the panhandle - Destin, Pensacola, etc. Those are really great places to consider starting out for your wife's business.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 AM

To all the repliers:

I can't Thank You you all enough for your honest opinions. As with any businesses, especially in Nails, its way over saturated where ever I see. Here in NJ, you can see 1/2 a dozen of them within 15 mins drive. I know this business is more like "if needed business" only when the economy is a bit better, because is based on expendable income. But when people live paycheck to paycheck, it affects everything and not just Nail businesses. It affects mostly all small businesses as well.

I'm a true believer in supporting small businesses, since I've been in that shoe quite a few times. When I do go out to eat at local mom/pop eateries, whether the food/service is good or not, I still give 20% tips. But that's just me. To me, everybody works hard for their money.

To me, I'm very lucky that America was able to take in my family and give us a chance to start a new life and be able to make a decent living. Everywhere I go, I respect other people's culture and lifestyles.

Yes, I would love to move back to Cali in a heart beat even though it has its quirks. The weather is not too cold or too hold, where I have to use A/C or heat for months on end. At most it would be a short period when needed. Oh, and those stupid Libertards that destroying the state. South Cali to San Diego is my place when given the opportunity.

Yes, my wife have a family and cousins down in Pensacola. They still keep in constant contact.

The biggest factor for me is the high heat + humidity, that's a killer for me. I just wouldn't be able to adjust to it.

Once again, your feedback is much appreciated. I hope I get a chance to visit Florida and see it many wonders that local Floridians love.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest_313 View Post
To all the repliers:

I can't Thank You you all enough for your honest opinions. As with any businesses, especially in Nails, its way over saturated where ever I see. Here in NJ, you can see 1/2 a dozen of them within 15 mins drive. I know this business is more like "if needed business" only when the economy is a bit better, because is based on expendable income. But when people live paycheck to paycheck, it affects everything and not just Nail businesses. It affects mostly all small businesses as well.

I'm a true believer in supporting small businesses, since I've been in that shoe quite a few times. When I do go out to eat at local mom/pop eateries, whether the food/service is good or not, I still give 20% tips. But that's just me. To me, everybody works hard for their money.

To me, I'm very lucky that America was able to take in my family and give us a chance to start a new life and be able to make a decent living. Everywhere I go, I respect other people's culture and lifestyles.

Yes, I would love to move back to Cali in a heart beat even though it has its quirks. The weather is not too cold or too hold, where I have to use A/C or heat for months on end. At most it would be a short period when needed. Oh, and those stupid Libertards that destroying the state. South Cali to San Diego is my place when given the opportunity.

Yes, my wife have a family and cousins down in Pensacola. They still keep in constant contact.

The biggest factor for me is the high heat + humidity, that's a killer for me. I just wouldn't be able to adjust to it.

Once again, your feedback is much appreciated. I hope I get a chance to visit Florida and see it many wonders that local Floridians love.
And thank YOU! That's one of the nicest posts on this board, ever. Flourish and prosper and thank you for your kind thoughts about the US. Many recent immigrants act like the country owes them something just for living. I am sorry about California, it used to be such a great, wonderful, beautiful state. Maybe some day it will be again. I hope so for your sake.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 PM

To Kmarc:

You're very welcome. To me, life is short and I try to live to its fullest and very happy to have my son now. That's the person I've always been and being educated with manners from my parents (thank them for this). As the saying goes, "In order for people to respect you, you first have to earned it." I'm just paying forward......

That's very true, what I've seen is the last decade or so, the recent immigrants here in the US thinks that the people or state of the US needs to be on hands and feet at them. If they so complain about this or that, then WHY the HELL would you want to come here in the first place. Everyone needs to pay their dues.

I've been here since 1978, when I was just a munchkin. My family worked throughout our lives to have a better life and we always appreciated what the US have done for us. Now, the new legal/illegals are coming here basically ask for hand-outs and not contribute to society.

I apologize for my rant...the subject can go for hours is it gets momentum.....

Anyways, best wishes to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida