Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times

Advertisements

What fruits are you looking for that cant be found at the local super market.
I've noticed most Flea markets usually have a produce section..
Until you finalize where exactly in Fla. you are going to live this link will tell you where the farmers markets are.
http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/fm/Florida.htm

Last edited by jambo101; 02-26-2014 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:36 AM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What fruits are you looking for that cant be found at the local super market.
I've noticed most Flea markets usually have a produce section..
Until you finalize where exactly in Fla. you are going to live this link will tell you where the farmers markets are.
Florida farmers market directory at farmers market online
In tandem with this information it's important to note to the OP that a vast majority of Florida "farmers markets" are really flea markets and the produce offered is typically of questionable origin, meaning not grown by those who pose as farmers selling it and are in fact resellers who purchase the goods at one of the major produce terminals which are in essence filled with the same stuff that winds up at Publix. Why Florida has such a sketchy/screwed up version of "farmers markets" is a mystery to me but important to know when moving in from any other state where legit farmers markets are prevalent.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:07 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In tandem with this information it's important to note to the OP that a vast majority of Florida "farmers markets" are really flea markets and the produce offered is typically of questionable origin, meaning not grown by those who pose as farmers selling it and are in fact resellers who purchase the goods at one of the major produce terminals which are in essence filled with the same stuff that winds up at Publix. Why Florida has such a sketchy/screwed up version of "farmers markets" is a mystery to me but important to know when moving in from any other state where legit farmers markets are prevalent.
You bring up a good point,who knows where farmers markets and flea markets get their products from.
It seemed the op was looking for cheaper options to where she buys her fruit , the only places i could think of were flea markets and farmers markets.i buy all my stuff from the local super markets,prices seem reasonable and choice is diverse and labels tell which country the produce is grown in.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,289,527 times
Fort Myers (Lee County) has an abundance of fruits and vegetables. They grow everything from tomatoes to lynchee.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:32 AM

910 posts, read 2,201,026 times
Moldavite, if you want help from people here, I suggest you change your attitude. Calling a poster a "simpleton" when he is just trying to be helpful is NOT the way to get people to want to help you. If this is your general mindset in dealing with others, please stay in California.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,729,287 times
You can also buy at a distribution warehouse but you have to buy in bulk to get the biggest discount. If you do heavy duty juicing then you will not waste much product.

For a quite place but inland might try Sebring, we have land there on the big lake and lots of farmers markets and if you are into oranges, there are tons of groves there.

Palm bay might seem perfectly fine, but when we were looking at places to retire in back over a year ago the crime stats were pretty high compared to other places in Florida.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:00 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,875,800 times
Note that this thread was dead for about 4 months.

But aside from the OP's attitude criticizing basically everyone who bothered to respond, it should be noted for others looking for a similar situation that Homestead or Florida City are not in the least expensive - in fact, they are known for being the opposite. And yes, that area is known to have some of the best and most diverse fresh fruit in the state. The store/stand "Robert Is Here" is known to be an excellent place to get fruit, there are plenty of U-picks, acres and acres of commercial and smaller fruit farms, and the area is also home to the Rare Fruit Council, tropical fruit enthusiasts who hold tastings and lectures, and the Fruit & Spice park nearby.

As another note, if one needs an abundance of the freshest and best fruit, the best thing to do is grow your own. Even apartments in Homestead - again because the land is cheap - usually all have a patio or a strip of land, and plenty of windows. FL as a state is known to have highly alkaline soil, in which few fruits can grow reliably. But you can take the time to amend the soil, or you can grow pretty much everything you need in pots - the sun is so strong you can reliably fruit many things even indoors, if you just take a minute to pollinate all the flowers yourself.

I myself eat a lot of fresh fruit, and I am currently growing more than a hundred varieties here in the Keys, both inside and outside, in pots and in amended soil. Nothing can beat it. And yeah, most "farmer's markets" in FL just sell produce they bought from stores or wholesale and are reselling, they are not fresh, nor are almost any organic - most of the produce is actually older than one gets in a grocery store because of the resale. I personally have found that small Asian markets in FL cities have the freshest produce, after growing your own or picking at a farm that allows U-pick, because they tend to buy directly from farmers daily and keep the produce in water to keep it fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida