Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,178 times

Advertisements

OK my husband has 2 companies interviewing him right now, one in Tampa and one in Fort Lauderdale.. Honest opinions on what each has to offer and would maybe be the best place for my family.

I have done extensive research on both places and we are torn on which side to live. Yes I know all about the crime but also know that their are safe places just like anywhere else in the world. I live in a small town now but we are really sick of having nothing here, it's some what safe but has nothing to offer us in life or our kids for the future, we have to go a 1/2 hour to an hour away to do anything, we live about an hour away from Toledo so we know what crime is all about, heck in our small town we have had many break ins. We will obviously contact a Realtor once we have decided on which area to go. Both jobs are a great potential for hubby. I will be working in the real estate world. Ya Ya I know they are a dime a dozen but I love it...

Yes I know its hot, that's the way we like it. We love the water and will be water bugs which is one of the reasons for moving south. I have to have it pretty hot to get into the water because I get cold easy.

Please No negative posts, we know that you have to take the good with the bad no matter where you are. Life is what you make it, we love our little town but are ready for a new adventure. We are the love life to the fullest kind of people no matter where we are. We are pretty easy going kind of people. We will love Florida just like we have loved Ohio and have taken care of Ohio. Would love to get involved with the sea turtle rescues and watches, among other things we can help with the beaches.

We have been to the Ocean side as well as the gulf and love both sides, just really torn if we end up having to chose between the 2..

Just would like some feed back on both Tampa and Fort Lauderdale..
Thank you in advance.
AW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
I can't offer much on Tampa. It is a fairly large metro area and has plenty of things to offer.

With Ft. Lauderdale you get a city which has its own identity and its own things to do but you also get to have the City of Miami and Miami Beach only 25 miles South. Broward county has plenty to offer. Just as much as Tampa IMO besides for Bush Gardens and MLB and NFL team. NFL team is a short drive south and an NBA and MLB team are in Miami. The NHL team is in Broward County. But having Miami close by means you will always have something to do and the amenities a large international city offers. But you also don't need to deal with the Miami problems such as the bad traffic, not so great school districts etc.. on a daily basis. Though Lauderdale will have its issues too and it has plenty of traffic also. Plenty of places to chose from to live though in Broward and Northern Miami-Dade County.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:14 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,173 times
You really should visit both metros to see which one you like better. After living in Tampa for several years I personally would pick Ft. Lauderdale if I had to choose between the two cities.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:43 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
The biggest difference in my opinion is size. Because Ft. Laudy is part of the larger South Florida metro area it feels much larger than Tampa Bay. Prices tend to be higher for homes and cost of living in SFL v TB. Both have major league sports and easy beach/water access. Housing stock tends to be older in FTL unless you head west. More diversity in FTL but Tampa is diverse as well. Tampa is more family oriented in my opinion, FTL has a much faster pace of life. Both nice areas.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
For some unexplained reason, people from OH seem to prefer Tampa Bay, over Ft Lauderdale. Lauderdale has a lot of NYerks, like all Miami metro area. I have a relative living down there and over the years he's moved from Miami/Dade cty, to Ft Lauderdale to West Palm. That tells me for families, it's probably a little hectic living down there. Tampa Bay(not just Tampa) is probably better for families, COL is less, less traffic, also it's closer to Disney theme parks in Orlando. Also Ft Lauderdale may be more superficial and economic inequality may more prevalent. If I had to live in SFL, it would be between Jupiter/Stuart(even though not sure if it qualifies as SFL).

Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
The biggest difference in my opinion is size. Because Ft. Laudy is part of the larger South Florida metro area it feels much larger than Tampa Bay. Prices tend to be higher for homes and cost of living in SFL v TB. Both have major league sports and easy beach/water access. Housing stock tends to be older in FTL unless you head west. More diversity in FTL but Tampa is diverse as well. Tampa is more family oriented in my opinion, FTL has a much faster pace of life. Both nice areas.
^^^^This. Tampa Bay has more of a working class, less sophisticated vibe, although there's some sophistication in St. Pete and also in Sarasota. I think you'll get more bang for your buck in the Tampa Bay area. If the pay is the same in Tampa Bay & Ft. Laud, I'd go with Tampa Bay. JMO.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
fort lauderdale has warmer winters. feels more tropical. is closer to miami, west palm, and florida keys. is also part of a more important economy of south FL, more diversity, etc

Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
^^^^This. Tampa Bay has more of a working class, less sophisticated vibe, although there's some sophistication in St. Pete and also in Sarasota. I think you'll get more bang for your buck in the Tampa Bay area. If the pay is the same in Tampa Bay & Ft. Laud, I'd go with Tampa Bay. JMO.
Yes, if the pay is the same for both locations than definitely Tampa Bay. FTL is significantly more pricey.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:11 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Yes, if the pay is the same for both locations than definitely Tampa Bay. FTL is significantly more pricey.
I must say, Crane, your ability to convey a lot of information in a few brief sentences has me in awe. I mean that sincerely. It's a talent I wish I had.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
If you can live in Weston (Fort Lauderdale) go for it! It's a beautiful area, very safe, very clean, great schools, and close to great shopping and nightlife. It blows anywhere in Tampa out of the water. Visit for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida