Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:06 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Florida and California I think are the worst states when it comes to slow left lane drivers that won't move. What I find that works the best is just turn your brights on, unfortunately it only works at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 02:08 PM

698 posts, read 960,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
SLOW left lane drivers that will not yield the right of way. This happens in every state, but for some reason it has reached epidemic proportions in Florida.

From the stupidity I've seen I'm really surprised it's not #1. It is all ages and almost always someone with a Florida plate.
Slow left lane drivers are a big problem here, I've never seen anything like it in any other state I've driven in.

Could some of these slow movers be tourists? Or are these really FL residents driving this badly?

You mentioned people not paying attention, that's why I don't like passing on the right and that got me wondering if it was legal. Unfortunately, passing on the right is almost mandatory if you want to go the speed limit and avoid the slow movers.

Is this why you are not liking FL?

Old 03-15-2014, 02:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
SLOW left lane drivers that will not yield the right of way. This happens in every state, but for some reason it has reached epidemic proportions in Florida. There are countless threads on here about this topic. People will just get in the left lane and put on their cruise control and just stay there and will not move over for anything. I've actually had better luck staying in the far right lane and pass in the middle on I4. Florida also has the worst drivers of anywhere I've seen in the country. The insurance institute ranked FL the fourth worst. From the stupidity I've seen I'm really surprised it's not #1. It is all ages and almost always someone with a Florida plate.

You really have to experience it to understand just how bad it can be and it's not as bad in North Florida compared to the rest of the state.
I drive the speed limit or with the flow of traffic so i don't have to deal with drivers in the left lane... the only drivers that bother me are the impatient drivers who tailgate and weave in and out of traffic even though they are barely getting anywhere faster than the rest of us..

Old 03-15-2014, 04:16 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I drive the speed limit or with the flow of traffic so i don't have to deal with drivers in the left lane... the only drivers that bother me are the impatient drivers who tailgate and weave in and out of traffic even though they are barely getting anywhere faster than the rest of us..
those drivers area a PITA - and much more dangerous than anyone who might be hanging out in the left lane daydreaming

Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
those drivers area a PITA - and much more dangerous than anyone who might be hanging out in the left lane daydreaming
And its sooooo pointless, once you exit the freeway you usually hit a red light on the off ramp and everyone you just aggressively passed are sitting at the light with you.
So idk, i guess people are just trying to be cool by driving like they are in a video game or something.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
SLOW left lane drivers that will not yield the right of way. This happens in every state, but for some reason it has reached epidemic proportions in Florida. There are countless threads on here about this topic. People will just get in the left lane and put on their cruise control and just stay there and will not move over for anything. I've actually had better luck staying in the far right lane and pass in the middle on I4. Florida also has the worst drivers of anywhere I've seen in the country. The insurance institute ranked FL the fourth worst. From the stupidity I've seen I'm really surprised it's not #1. It is all ages and almost always someone with a Florida plate.

You really have to experience it to understand just how bad it can be and it's not as bad in North Florida compared to the rest of the state.

If it has reached epidemic proportions as you say, is because of the population/% of cars on streets (also lack of public transportation). You have tourists, retirees, young inexperienced drivers and others all driving on the same congested highway system within the state. Actually CA and TX are worse in traffic fatalities than FL, but don't see you whine in their forum.

As for the stupidity you mentioned, most everyone is from somewhere else(example the MI driver that killed the 4 kids on 275.) This is indicative of how Americans drive nowadays (don't think you are any better).

Old 03-16-2014, 07:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
In northern Virginia the worst drivers by far are old men wearing hats, that are not from the area. They drive oblivious to the chaos they create. I wonder if trigger or invince drive wearing hats? They both seem oblivious to their effect they create on traffic or even worse think their behavior is justified.

Trigger and invince please do not drive though the Washington DC area, our traffic is already bad and we don't need the roads closed as they scrape the remains of your car off the road.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
We were down a couple of weeks ago, signing papers on our new place, and came up 75 from Port Charlotte. I could not believe how many wrecks we saw on both sides of 75. Most were rear-enders, when the first wreck caused the accordion effect on traffic, with minimal damage, but still caused even more bottlenecks. But still saw several bad ones, including a car that had rolled after hitting the cables in the median (much better than nailing a concrete barrier).

Much of the issue comes to the fact that there are limited roadways vs a LOT of people. If we weren't headed up to 10, we would have taken the back road up to Orlando, much easier.

However, yes, people driving slow in the left lane, or even the middle, some 10-15 mph below the speed limit, talking on a cell phone, or having the "white-knuckle" driving experience. These can cause all sorts of problems. But so many accidents are caused by just not paying attention. Driving too close to respond to a slow-down. Changing lanes without looking. Then, as others have commented on, driving too fast for the traffic flow. Too slow, too fast, both cause bad problems. Just chill and go with the traffic flow. If the speed limit is 70, and everyone else wants to go 80, get over to the right and take a chill-pill. You will get there with minimum stress. If everyone is driving 65, no real holes in the traffic, chill out and go with it. It will take a bit longer, but you will get there. Trying to make a hole when there isn't one is begging for a wreck.

Finally, unless FL greatly increases the highway (both the number of cross-highways through the state and width of the major highways) accessibility, all we can do is relax and enjoy the sun.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
In northern Virginia the worst drivers by far are old men wearing hats, that are not from the area. They drive oblivious to the chaos they create. I wonder if trigger or invince drive wearing hats? They both seem oblivious to their effect they create on traffic or even worse think their behavior is justified.

Trigger and invince please do not drive though the Washington DC area, our traffic is already bad and we don't need the roads closed as they scrape the remains of your car off the road.
Northern VA and DC are in the top 3 worst traffic areas you can drive in. "You" are in immediate danger scraping your brains off the road, not me. Now go back to watching Nickelodeon.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 AM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
So funny! That was what people said where I grew up - beware of old men in hats. They are totally oblivious to others and are downright dangerous drivers. I haven't heard that in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida