Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM

17 posts, read 33,961 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear about former New Yorkers (I'm a former Brooklynite) who have lived in Florida for a while, perhaps for a few years, and are thinking about moving back to the city because they miss it. That's my situation right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebanjo View Post
I'd like to hear about former New Yorkers (I'm a former Brooklynite) who have lived in Florida for a while, perhaps for a few years, and are thinking about moving back to the city because they miss it. That's my situation right now.
We left nj in 07 moved to nc then moved to Boca fof 3 years, due to my husbands company leaving florida and moving the company to NC, so we had to move back to nc from boca, however we had a great opportunity to move back home so we took it..I am born and raised in brooklyn we missed our family terribly as well as our friends....we felt like s florida was like home, there were things we really liked and things we didnt...I completely understand but sometimes moving back just because your homesick isnt always the right thing either....do you have family back in NY? And what made you want to move to Florida?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
It's pretty clear whether or not you'd be happier in NYC vs Florida.

You can get a nice, big home in Florida for the same price as a small, yucky condo in NYC. However, in NYC, you can walk and take transit to many awesome restaurants, bars etc where as in Florida you will have to drive everywhere and you still won't have the same dining and nightlife options as in NYC.

Choosing between Houston and Orlando would be tough, but NYC and Florida are so different, the decision should be easy.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 AM

The OP I think is looking in Staten Island very different from NYC itself, Staten Island you have to drive also depending on where on the Island one lives...

Old 03-16-2014, 02:44 PM

17 posts, read 33,961 times
Thanks for your comments. I have a brief personal history on the Tampa Bay and NYC Forums but it was deleted on this forum. I've been in Tampa and Safety Harbor for six years. I have a son and sister in Brooklyn. I guess I'm ready for a change.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Blue I completely understand, Staten Island seems to be a good fit for you, My sister lives there has been for 15 years...

Old 03-16-2014, 03:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Before I left NYC, I did a lot of research on places I would be happy because, frankly, NYC is a difficult place to leave and not be bored somewhere else. I settled on Miami (South Beach in particular, which was very different 15 years ago) because there was a lot of buzz in NYC about it, it was not the suburbs, it looked like an interesting fun place, and then of course there are the beautiful beaches and nice weather. After a few weeks of trepidation, I found a very reasonable apartment (with a view of the ocean--not going to find that in NYC), a job and met my current spouse. I actually ended up working with some New Yorkers in the same field and I totally loved my job and work environment. I remember people from New York asking me if I regretted the move and I would answer absolutely not--I loved it here.

I notice your location says Safety Harbor--a nice place--but I find the west coast of Florida to be like a vastly different country than NY. Maybe you should check out a few places that have more in common with NY before you decide you want to go back. Florida is a big state.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 4,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Before I left NYC, I did a lot of research on places I would be happy because, frankly, NYC is a difficult place to leave and not be bored somewhere else. I settled on Miami (South Beach in particular, which was very different 15 years ago) because there was a lot of buzz in NYC about it, it was not the suburbs, it looked like an interesting fun place, and then of course there are the beautiful beaches and nice weather. After a few weeks of trepidation, I found a very reasonable apartment (with a view of the ocean--not going to find that in NYC), a job and met my current spouse. I actually ended up working with some New Yorkers in the same field and I totally loved my job and work environment. I remember people from New York asking me if I regretted the move and I would answer absolutely not--I loved it here.

I notice your location says Safety Harbor--a nice place--but I find the west coast of Florida to be like a vastly different country than NY. Maybe you should check out a few places that have more in common with NY before you decide you want to go back. Florida is a big state.
Feel free to talk more about your move from NYC to FL. I'm on the same bought in wanting to move to FL but have NO IDEA where to start.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:03 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
The OP I think is looking in Staten Island very different from NYC itself, Staten Island you have to drive also depending on where on the Island one lives...
I grew up in the Lower East Side in the late eighties and the 90's, then I moved to a NJ suburb, while I love NYC I preferred NJ with the convenience of a 20 min train ride to the city. I guess you only been out of the city for 6 years, but it has changed a lot I go every couple of months for work and while I enjoy my time there I wouldn't move back, the NYC that I am nostalgic about doesn't exist anymore, my cousin owns some property in Red hook, I remember growing up you wouldn't go to Red Hook in the pope mobile now its full of hipsters, its seemingly change for the better. At any rate SI is its own thing there is no train there you have to take the ferry, bus, or pay the Verrazano toll which was like $15 years ago.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I grew up in the Lower East Side in the late eighties and the 90's, then I moved to a NJ suburb, while I love NYC I preferred NJ with the convenience of a 20 min train ride to the city. I guess you only been out of the city for 6 years, but it has changed a lot I go every couple of months for work and while I enjoy my time there I wouldn't move back, the NYC that I am nostalgic about doesn't exist anymore, my cousin owns some property in Red hook, I remember growing up you wouldn't go to Red Hook in the pope mobile now its full of hipsters, its seemingly change for the better. At any rate SI is its own thing there is no train there you have to take the ferry, bus, or pay the Verrazano toll which was like $15 years ago.
I agree, but he has family in NY and in another thread he asked about Staten Island not sure if he needs to commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida