Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The culture is very different than South Florida, at least from my experience. It's not as open-minded and exposed when it comes to ethnic food, traveling, cultures etc. Once again, this is just my two cents.
That's why I think certain parts of central FL is a good compromise. South FL doesn't have the top schools, esp once you get into Miami Dade... between that, the col and the road rage, well I'd rather be somewhere else if I was raising a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
That's why I think certain parts of central FL is a good compromise. South FL doesn't have the top schools, esp once you get into Miami Dade... between that, the col and the road rage, well I'd rather be somewhere else if I was raising a family.
I think the Orlando area has some great areas as well, but comparing Miami to Boca Raton or Weston is night and day. Boca Raton and Weston have great schools and are very safe. I personally just wouldn't want Sarasota or Jax because they don't get much international exposure.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
Quote:
I would never raise a family in Jax or Sarasota. However, I'm not a Conservative Republican.

You can't get any nicer than Boca Raton or Weston for raising a family. They have amazing schools, extremely safe, open-minded, nice restaurants, good shopping and near multiple major cities for jobs.
Wow, first it was Tampa, now he's down to Sarasota. Sarasota is considered as one of the friendliest/best places in FL, so you would never raise a family there (do you even have kids)? Btw, no one cares about your political orientation (you shouldn't tell people what you are).

Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Wow, first it was Tampa, now he's down to Sarasota. Sarasota is considered as one of the friendliest/best places in FL, so you would never raise a family there (do you even have kids)? Btw, no one cares about your political orientation (you shouldn't tell people what you are).
Political beliefs do matter because it will have an influence on your children as they grow up. If you believe same sex couples should be allowed to marry, don't raise your kids in a conservative area. Sarasota is a small city, yet it has big city problems such as crime and traffic. It doesn't have much of international exposure either.

Once again, a lot of people care about whether the area leans conservative or liberal. Instead of trolling, how about you answer the OP's question with your two cents.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Political beliefs do matter because it will have an influence on your children as they grow up. If you believe same sex couples should be allowed to marry, don't raise your kids in a conservative area. Sarasota is a small city, yet it has big city problems such as crime and traffic. It doesn't have much of international exposure either.

Once again, a lot of people care about whether the area leans conservative or liberal. Instead of trolling, how about you answer the OP's question with your two cents.
Whether a city has international exposure or not has no bearing on its political beliefs. Sarasota doesn't scream "conservative" IMO and it's actually probably a great place to raise kids and has plenty of open-minded people.

And honestly, Sarasota is pretty much part of the Tampa metro which does have "some" international exposure.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:

What do you know about Sarasota living in CA and having a condo in ORL? I'm there several times a month.

I'm not trolling. I think you have a skewed perception of Tampa Bay without even knowing the area well. The immediate area Sarasota/Manatee counties have half a million people. I do not consider that small. Plus traffic is day and night compared to Orlando or SF or Orange County or wherever in CA you are. Tampa has traffic now due to construction mainly on I-275/Veterans etc. Sarasota is laid back compared to larger metro areas.

Sounds like you're prejudice with certain cities due to your political beliefs. Not good.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:17 AM

389 posts, read 662,130 times
In southeast Florida, I endorse the areas already mentioned (Boca, Wellington, Weston) and would add Jupiter.

I also consider Stuart and Palm City in Martin County fine places for families, but these are small towns and the job market isn't robust. You'd probably have to commute south to Palm Beach County or north to Port St. Lucie (which has a population of more than 150,000, believe it or not) for work.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
What do you know about Sarasota living in CA and having a condo in ORL? I'm there several times a month.

I'm not trolling. I think you have a skewed perception of Tampa Bay without even knowing the area well. The immediate area Sarasota/Manatee counties have half a million people. I do not consider that small. Plus traffic is day and night compared to Orlando or SF or Orange County or wherever in CA you are. Tampa has traffic now due to construction mainly on I-275/Veterans etc. Sarasota is laid back compared to larger metro areas.

Sounds like you're prejudice with certain cities due to your political beliefs. Not good.
I don't want to get into a debate and end up derailing this person's thread, so you can DM me if you really want to continue this discussion. In short, I have lived in Orlando, Daytona Beach and Boca Raton. I still own a beautiful house in Dr. Phillips. I visit 2-3 times per year. My buddy owns a construction company in Tampa who I visit each time. Sarasota is fine for a day trip, but if I were free to pick anywhere in Florida to live, it would not be Sarasota. If the OP wants to be near the ocean, Boca Raton, Wellington, Weston are great choices in terms of crime, schools, and jobs. If the OP wants a quiet town, I would also add Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens. If the OP doesn't care about being near the ocean, than I would recommend parts of Orlando. Once again, this is my opinion. You seem to think there is a right or wrong answer, well there isn't.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I don't want to get into a debate and end up derailing this person's thread, so you can DM me if you really want to continue this discussion. In short, I have lived in Orlando, Daytona Beach and Boca Raton. I still own a beautiful house in Dr. Phillips. I visit 2-3 times per year. My buddy owns a construction company in Tampa who I visit each time. Sarasota is fine for a day trip, but if I were free to pick anywhere in Florida to live, it would not be Sarasota. If the OP wants to be near the ocean, Boca Raton, Wellington, Weston are great choices in terms of crime, schools, and jobs. If the OP wants a quiet town, I would also add Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens. If the OP doesn't care about being near the ocean, than I would recommend parts of Orlando. Once again, this is my opinion. You seem to think there is a right or wrong answer, well there isn't.
Well, opinions are like behinds. Everyone has one. Point is, you're technically a snow bird, how would you know what life is like in Sarasota or any place on this side (you haven't lived in West-central FL). Anyhow..

Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Well, opinions are like behinds. Everyone has one. Point is, you're technically a snow bird, how would you know what life is like in Sarasota or any place on this side (you haven't lived in West-central FL). Anyhow..
1) I have spent many, many years living in Florida and still own property there. I have only been in California for two years. The part of California where I live does not snow, nor is the weather freezing ever. I also spend most of the time during my trips in the summer, so I wouldn't say I'm a snow bird.

2) Well, you don't have to live in an area to give an opinion. I think I'm above average when it comes to number of cities lived (8 cities, 2 countries, 10 moves), so I've gotten pretty good at comparing cities to cities. I've been to that part of Florida enough to know it's not where I would want to live if the other cities I mentioned are on the table. I don't really understand why you keep coming back to me, do you really think you are going to change my mind? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida