Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,162 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in NYC and this recent cold winter has caused me to consider my options in staying in NYC.

The main reasons for me leaving NYC:
-Housing too expensive
-Weather is horrible
-Living expenses are high
-Roads have potholes (from this winter especially)

I just feel like a cog in a machine and really want to move somewhere, where things are attainable.

I'm a marketing professional(salary is between 40-60K) and have lived in NYC all my life. So I'm interested to learning more about either pros or cons for living in FL.

Laws and regulations on FL system is something I'm also interested and would love to hear what current residents have to say as I'm sure some probably moved from NYC as well.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Housing will be cheaper here.

Weather is subjective. I personally like it here vs up north. NYC does get heatwaves and has the requirement of A/C for several months of the year. I don't think the heat in FL (if you are on the coasts) is that much worse, and the winters are certainly better IMO

Living expenses are definitely lower here as well (so is the pay compared to NYC). The question will be if it's worth it. IMO, I probably wouldn't make that much more in NYC, so FL wins by a landslide.

Roads are generally better down here as compared to up north and in the midwest because of not needing to salt and not needing to plow snow.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 PM

499 posts, read 585,931 times
I live in Fairfield County, CT and feel the same way that you do. This winter was just the last straw and the roads are disastrous. We have decided that we are definitely moving to PBC in the next 6-9 months. It is a bit overwhelming, to say the least.

I just wanted to give you a word of advice - you may get some nasty replies to your post from FL residents who HATE us. They're convinced that NYer's and others from the North have ruined Florida. Just IGNORE the haters and focus only the positive posters and you will get a lot of useful information.

I would start by researching job opportunities, salaries, etc. The pay is typically much less in Florida, especially compared to NYC. There is no state income tax in Florida, which is great. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnyc View Post
Hi everyone,

I currently live in NYC and this recent cold winter has caused me to consider my options in staying in NYC.

The main reasons for me leaving NYC:
-Housing too expensive
-Weather is horrible
-Living expenses are high
-Roads have potholes (from this winter especially)

I just feel like a cog in a machine and really want to move somewhere, where things are attainable.

I'm a marketing professional(salary is between 40-60K) and have lived in NYC all my life. So I'm interested to learning more about either pros or cons for living in FL.

Laws and regulations on FL system is something I'm also interested and would love to hear what current residents have to say as I'm sure some probably moved from NYC as well.

Thanks in advance.
Depends where in Florida you move too...South Florida is not much cheaper..

Old 03-17-2014, 03:51 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
The difference is significant. For example, a $3000/mo apt vs reasonable rents, no income tax, no "Bloomberg"-like meddling. Yes, FL traffic is a PITA in major cities, but it is in most cities. And you have FL beaches.

The negatives: no 'seasons'. Closest you get is in the Tallahassee/Jacksonville areas, but much more moderate. Don't expect the NE liberal viewpoint. Much more MYOB attitude.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 PM

57 posts, read 113,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I just wanted to give you a word of advice - you may get some nasty replies to your post from FL residents who HATE us. They're convinced that NYer's and others from the North have ruined Florida. Just IGNORE the haters and focus only the positive posters and you will get a lot of useful information.
There's a reason for the hate. But hey, at least New Yorkers are slightly better than those from New Jersey.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I live in Fairfield County, CT and feel the same way that you do. This winter was just the last straw and the roads are disastrous. We have decided that we are definitely moving to PBC in the next 6-9 months. It is a bit overwhelming, to say the least.

I would start by researching job opportunities, salaries, etc. The pay is typically much less in Florida, especially compared to NYC. There is no state income tax in Florida, which is great. Good luck!
I am also from fairfield county ct and are strongly considering moving this summer if my husband can finalize a job opportunity. This moving thing is overwhelming indeed especially with 2 children to worry about. I grew up in the north east but are done with snow. Have you visited the area yet to scout out housing? If so did you use a realtor or are you working with one yet?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-bolt View Post
There's a reason for the hate. But hey, at least New Yorkers are slightly better than those from New Jersey.

Why?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:23 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
OK, northerners. I get it. You're sick of the snow...
but it will be ending in like the next 2 to 3 weeks, relax. U dont need to move to Florida. It'll be nice and warm soon enough in the north. Then you'll forget about FL.

All your family lives in the north. Your kids are established in schools. U have decent jobs. Just wait a few more weeks and you'll soon forget about Florida

Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
OK, northerners. I get it. You're sick of the snow...
but it will be ending in like the next 2 to 3 weeks, relax. U dont need to move to Florida. It'll be nice and warm soon enough in the north. Then you'll forget about FL.

All your family lives in the north. Your kids are established in schools. U have decent jobs. Just wait a few more weeks and you'll soon forget about Florida
Thanks.... we have enough down here.... FL has already risen to #3 now.... no need to go higher

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/27/ny...tion.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida