Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM

499 posts, read 587,204 times

Advertisements

What month(s) do you think are best to physically make the move to Florida? In terms of affordable rentals, decent weather, etc. It looks like we can most easily make the work transition in early-mid December. I'm just not sure if December is the best month for a long-distance move. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
My personal opinion--I think summer is the best time to move here. Less traffic to deal with while maneuvering around a new place. Rentals are definitely lower priced as they are more plentiful in the summer than in season. Less hectic in general and easier to acclimate yourself to new surroundings. Down side--it is very hot and humid and rains a lot, though the beach is best then. But having moved and lived here for a quite a while, I was glad I moved in the summer with everything less crowded and easier to do logistically. Moving is stressful enough without having to deal with tourist season and horrible traffic as well. It might also depend on where you are moving. I moved to Miami so had time to figure things out (while driving and getting lost a lot) before season hit and things got crowded and hectic. I came down in July and was settled in with an apartment and job by the end of August.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
I'd also go with summer. The snowbirds like to come during winter.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,946 times
It depends on what part of Florida that you are moving to. The problem with seasonal rent and Snowbird traffic doesnt exist in most of North Florida. December can be cold in North Florida which may be a shock for the unaware but I would say February would be my choice because Spring is coming and you got 2 months of beautiful weather until it really gets hot.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:29 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,180,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
What month(s) do you think are best to physically make the move to Florida? In terms of affordable rentals, decent weather, etc. It looks like we can most easily make the work transition in early-mid December. I'm just not sure if December is the best month for a long-distance move. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

You are moving down into a long term rental not a seasonal rental so the cost does not change because of snowbirds. Most short term rentals will be only located in certain areas that are allowed to rent for less than 6 months. Year round residents usually pay less than snowbirds who rent by the week or couple of months and leave.

Any time of year that is convenient to you is the good time to move. If you have kids ideally during the summer so they can make neighborhood friends before school starts so they have some friends they know at school and won't feel as much like the new kid on the block.
It rains almost every afternoon in the summer so when moving stuff in you might have to wait for the sun to come back out.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 AM

499 posts, read 587,204 times
Thanks for all of the replies! We are moving to Wellington/WPB area and my daughter is only a year old, so the school year is not an issue yet.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:17 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,345,057 times
I would say between now and May. After that not only is it unbearably hot, there's a thunderstorm almost everyday in the summer time. I would say fall also, but there generally tends to be more going than, harder to rent trucks, more traffic etc. Now would be best time.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:07 AM

910 posts, read 2,220,648 times
Another factor to keep in mind is the cost of moving - the prime moving season is late June into July, and moving companies can really raise the prices for that peak period. Another (hopefully minor) consideration is that summer is also hurricane season, especially August and September.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 AM

45 posts, read 78,504 times
We are moving now...... literally, right now. Truck arrives in an hour.
We chose this time of year because the brutal cold of the north has loosened it's grip so it's not miserable loading everything, The kids are on spring break so they won't be missing any school to speak of, and we are arriving there near the end part of "season". Also our mentality was that we would be arriving before things get really hot so we could acclimate easier to a gradual rise in temps instead of going from cold to the face of the sun in a day.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFolds View Post
We are moving now...... literally, right now. Truck arrives in an hour.
We chose this time of year because the brutal cold of the north has loosened it's grip so it's not miserable loading everything, The kids are on spring break so they won't be missing any school to speak of, and we are arriving there near the end part of "season". Also our mentality was that we would be arriving before things get really hot so we could acclimate easier to a gradual rise in temps instead of going from cold to the face of the sun in a day.

Congrats!

We moved here in July 3 years ago and wish we had moved in June as we love the heat and missed an entire month of paradise and having fun.

June July Aug are our favorites months here.

Kids are out of school and we can run all over Florida every day.

Beach time is coming soon, pack your beach stuff!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: