Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times

Advertisements

[quote=SE Ohio:

summer = 70s nice and mild, usually dont need a/c
fall = 40s to 60s I wont need heating for this.
"winter" = 10s to 30s, may need a little heating.
spring = slightly cooler than fall but still nice.[/QUOTE]

You will need an AC in the SE part of Ohio. If you can deal with your buttcheeks sticking together in the warm and muggy weather during July/August, great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 07:16 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
You will need an AC in the SE part of Ohio. If you can deal with your buttcheeks sticking together in the warm and muggy weather during July/August, great!

Then be it if I need a/c for 2 or 3 months in Ohio. In Florida I need a/c 9 months of the year! This gets expensive!

Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,069 times
Yea, but look at all the money you save on tanning palors!!

Old 10-25-2006, 04:32 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Yesterday we reached a cool 47 degrees In Navarre, today 58 degrees. No need for AC or heat just perfect...

Old 10-25-2006, 07:10 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Need Affordable, first of all I'd like to give you a lot of credit. If I remember correctly, you're a young gal looking for the right spot to live. You're asking questions which is something that a lot of young people won't do. They'd just move and learn the cold, hard facts after they get there.

I don't live in Ohio, but I live in So. Dak. and our winters are colder then in Ohio, but somewhat similar. I've lived here my entire life (born in 1955~Go Boomers!) Please don't be misled by some of the "facts" you find on the internet. For instance, 4 degrees in Jan. is listed as our average low. I remember a few years ago when we had three weeks that it didn't reach as high as zero. Our nights were about -30 and our days didn't often warm up to -10. That takes a LOT of heat. This was actual temps not including windchill which reached -70 a few of those nights. It's hard for you to imagine how cold that really is if you've never lived in a climate like that. If you have 20 degrees in the morning and a strong wind, you're windchill could be -20. A lot of northern states are like mine in the fact the days don't warm up too much. The sun shines in your windows, but has very little warming effect. It just feels like it is SO far away. Unlike So. Dak and Fla., if you move to Ohio you will have a state income tax. That is also something we've been considering in our future move. If you live in the north you will need WARM, heavy coats and they're not cheap. You will need a few pair of mittens since you need to double mitten at times and have extras on hand for when yours are wet or muddy. You'll need ice scrapers for your car. You'll need snow tires and they're much more costly then just a regular tire. You'll need good, insulated boots for the winter. If you do your own snow removal, you'll need a shovel and ice chopper or better yet a snow blower. If you have someone else do it, you'll need to pay well because it's hard work. This could happen a couple times a week. You may miss days of work because of ice storms and blizzards. You will have a HUGE heating bill in the winter. It's hard to imagine how cold the snow makes the air feel besides the fact the windchills can be unbearable. The strong Canadian winds can swoop down and blow through places in your house that you thought were airtight. You'll need GOOD windows on your house and good insulation. You will need to get your car winterized every autumn. (10/30 oil and antifreeze) In the spring, you'll need to go back to have it "summerized". There are a lot of people from the North who have to pay all summer just to get caught up from their winter heating bills. Also, don't be misled to think that you won't need much AC in the summer. This summer one of our towns tied the old record for heat. That's 120 degrees. We're not nearly as humid as Fla., but do have several summer days that are humid and 120 is hot no matter how you look at it. We've used both the AC and heat in the same 24 hour period. AC during the day and heat for the night. Fla. generally has the same temps~70 at night and 90 during the day for example. Northern states are different. It may be 85 during the day and 30 the next morning. I know you're searching and that's great. Just wanted to give you a few things to consider.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:08 PM

Im a man. Wow Dakota doesnt look like a hospitable place! My god 120 degrees? Global warming is a serious concern!!!!!!!!!! Its never gotten this hot, hottest I remember was something like 103! I did experience 100 degree heat in Ocala when I went to visit but it honestly felt more like 90, perhaps the breeze was refreshing? -30 plus windchill is brutal! I would be indoors with that much cold! Why do people even put up with such cold winters and hot summers(global warming?) The best weather is in the Pacific coast(but very expensive to live there) and in the south eastern coast(still expensive)
But a good, cheap compromise is living in the mideast in states such as WV, OH, TN to name three. The summers are mild and pleasent unlike the hot harsh summers of the southern states. Winters do exist but are mild. Florida doesnt really have a winter so its popular for snowbirds. Expensive to live there too. I want to move out of my parents house and buy a house I can afford in a good location with good weather. OH and WV are my top two choices.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:19 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
To grammy & those of us FLORIDIANS, I say - Yes! 90's! (That's not hot! )
N_A_H you're funny!
And I agree with Jammie - you could probably do WV, but OH would be more like CO and I don't know if you realize what this is like! Now you might not mind it, you might be able to take it, or you might like it, but this is what to expect:
Wind so cold that it's LITERALLY PAINFULL!!!
Your eyeballs freeze - yes freeze! The liquid in them gets so cold they're hard to move!!!
Your snot (sorry to be gross but what else do you call that? ) FREEZES! LITERALLY!!!
Your lungs freeze - you need to have a scarf wrapped around your face to breathe!!!
And it gets all wet from your breathe & freezes!
If you don't wear thermal underwear, your limbs can freeze! I told this story on these boards, I believe in the CO thread, but I once went grocery shopping in CO - the temp was 10 degrees - don't know about wind chill.
While we were walking with our bags of groceries, my leg froze up!!!
I was dressed well on the top - winter coat, scarf, hood, etc, but I only had pants - no second layer. I had to stand there til my leg "came back"! I was laughing - it wasn't painful, but it was not gonna go anymore!
Now if you DRIVE (I walked everywhere) you will have to shovel your car out, scrape ice, hope your car starts (the one time I DID drive it took forever for the car to start!) & then DRIVE in that!!!!!
Dude! If you've never been in weather that cold, you can't even imagine it!
You're face is NUMB when you walk inside! And it's beat red!
Plus to even throw out the garbage you have to put on all your gear if the windchill is bad - of course I somehow always managed to take out the garbage in -40 windchill!
So, uh, stick to WV, that'll be plenty cold!

Oh - lulu you're nuts! I was SCREAMING last night! I was hysterical - it was 59 out & 74.8 in my room!!!!! It's usually 78/79 WITH the ac! I came SO close to breaking out that electric blanket!!!
I had on 2 top layers & 2 bottom layers...

Oh yeah - that reminds me - someone made a good point...
One day of cold drops your house temp, but if it warms up in the day, it goes up. When it's cold for DAYS, it gets harder & harder to warm because there ain't no warming goin on!!! Happens here! That's why I'm so glad it "warmed up" () today.
Man it was 70 out around midnight? & I was sitting outside thinking, "This is chilly! I can take it, but I don't really like it, and any colder I would HATE it"
I didn't know the temp. I looked and it was 70.
70 is f*cking chilly!!!!

Old 10-26-2006, 04:22 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
elfyum--your description is so right on!!
N_A_N--just from my experience--I spent so much more in OH trying to keep my home a comfortable temp than I do here. I also had to spend more on clothing. My suggestion is to rent first. See if you can take a winter up there.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
elfyum--your description is so right on!!
N_A_N--just from my experience--I spent so much more in OH trying to keep my home a comfortable temp than I do here. I also had to spend more on clothing. My suggestion is to rent first. See if you can take a winter up there.

Rent costs too much in relation to buying. Besides cooler weather is something I have to deal with, like it or not because I cant afford Florida anyway so theres no choice. Millions of people live in the north states and deal with the cold. Some people pay good money to live in a cold place such as NYC, NJ, even NC!

LOL Elfyum, you made me laugh! Sorry but I gotta disagree! This is NOT cold! Its colder in WPB than Miami and I was NOT cold! In fact my window to my bedroom is open and im still warm!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:09 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Right on, Elfy!! I forgot about the added expense of the thermal underwear. Everyone says you can acclimate to different places and it's true to a certain extent, but it's obvious that I will NEVER be able to acclimate to -70. I'm not sure if a lot of Southerners realize this, but there are people in the North who freeze to death every year. They get trapped in sudden blizzards and end up freezing to death or they're coming home late from work and freeze to death. OR it's someone who's older and their heat goes out in the middle of the night and they can't get help. It's truly sad.

NeedAffordable, NC, NY, and NJ winters are nothing compared to a lot of places. I have a neighbor who spent two winters in NY and laughed at how people bundled up because she was comfy in her sweatshirt. As far as our summer heat related to global warming~Nah. It's been like this since I can remember and ever since records have been kept. It's just the natural way it is here. I am truly sorry that you need to relocate and I do understand how unaffordable some places in Fla. can be. But like someone else said, DEFINITELY rent and spend at least one winter where you relocate to. It's just hard to understand the actual feel of some climates unless you're living in it. Trust me, I had no idea what TRUE humidity felt like until I stepped off the plane in Orlando the first time. I now understand when someone on here says that it's so hot and humid because I've felt that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida