Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 PM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times

Advertisements

Florida (particularly the Tampa area) has been on my mind a lot over the past six months. I am looking to eventually get to a warmer climate. I'm from TN, live in IN (have been here two whole weeks and am not impressed with the area like I was with Boston), and would like to be able to at least wear short sleeves comfortably year-round, if not shorts and sandals.

I'm from a smallish town (50k) but Indy seems to be the "goldilocks" size, and maybe a tinge too small. People are not friendly here compared to New England and the South and the food sucks compared to both regions as well. I've been in Indy for two weeks and would love to transfer to the main office back around Boston, but don't know when or if this will be possible. I'm going to give Indy a year to work out.

I'm pretty big on physical fitness, weightlifting, and recently, swimming. Indy is great for amateur sports, but the weather and scenery here are pitiful to say the least.

I make a decent income in Indy ($55k) as a single 27 year old. I am down to my last $1500 in credit card debt (from $7k at the start of March) and have about $3800 in student loan debt remaining. Once these are paid off, this gives me another $250-$300/month to play with. I would be seeking at least $45k in CFL once the debt is paid off. Is this reasonable?

My dad grew up in Cocoa Beach and I have quite a few extended family in Orlando/Winter Park, but I haven't been to FL personally since a senior beach trip ten years ago.

I am thinking of taking some time off either on the Memorial Day or Labor Day weekends to explore Tampa and other parts of at least CFL in general.

Is it normal and common for many people to experience a longing to move to FL at some point in their lives? I have no particular ties to any area, and FL has been calling me lately. If I could get there next year with a decent salary, this would potentially be a "settling down" move for me, as well as somewhere my parents and grandparents could enjoy visiting me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,330,602 times
Florida tends to be on people's minds during winter months. It's pretty normal.

Be careful though - finding jobs is still tough.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 AM

790 posts, read 1,263,452 times
the media may have you brainwashed to think FL is "paradise", but once you realize you cant find a job or afford the insurance, it gets old real quick. I went through a similar phase with Las Vegas then after my 3rd or 4th visit i went to some of the "local" areas and I was like...nah

Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 AM

27,008 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Florida (particularly the Tampa area) has been on my mind a lot over the past six months. I am looking to eventually get to a warmer climate. I'm from TN, live in IN (have been here two whole weeks and am not impressed with the area like I was with Boston), and would like to be able to at least wear short sleeves comfortably year-round, if not shorts and sandals.

I'm from a smallish town (50k) but Indy seems to be the "goldilocks" size, and maybe a tinge too small. People are not friendly here compared to New England and the South and the food sucks compared to both regions as well. I've been in Indy for two weeks and would love to transfer to the main office back around Boston, but don't know when or if this will be possible. I'm going to give Indy a year to work out.

I'm pretty big on physical fitness, weightlifting, and recently, swimming. Indy is great for amateur sports, but the weather and scenery here are pitiful to say the least.

I make a decent income in Indy ($55k) as a single 27 year old. I am down to my last $1500 in credit card debt (from $7k at the start of March) and have about $3800 in student loan debt remaining. Once these are paid off, this gives me another $250-$300/month to play with. I would be seeking at least $45k in CFL once the debt is paid off. Is this reasonable?

My dad grew up in Cocoa Beach and I have quite a few extended family in Orlando/Winter Park, but I haven't been to FL personally since a senior beach trip ten years ago.

I am thinking of taking some time off either on the Memorial Day or Labor Day weekends to explore Tampa and other parts of at least CFL in general.

Is it normal and common for many people to experience a longing to move to FL at some point in their lives? I have no particular ties to any area, and FL has been calling me lately. If I could get there next year with a decent salary, this would potentially be a "settling down" move for me, as well as somewhere my parents and grandparents could enjoy visiting me.
Given your desire for bigger city amenities, better pay and job availability coupled with warmer weather you'd be better served in my opinion looking at other Sunbelt cities where there is a much better job market as well as more offered in terms of things to do. I would recommend checking out cities like Houston, Austin, Dallas/Ft Worth or Charlotte where salaries are better and the job market is much more well-rounded in terms of varying jobs.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
Despite what others say, there are some decent white collar jobs down here in some niche market or IT areas. I couldn't see moving to Texas just because it's Texas, though Austin is lovely.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,658,949 times
Just as Indy's weather isn't ideal for certain exercise activities, neither is Florida's.

I run....almost everyday. I'm a runner. I live in FL and loathe the Summer months because it's like 5 months of brutal, oppressive heat where I can not run comfortably. The air is thick, the sun is hot, it's just not a great place to run. The scenery isn't all that either. It's flat.... Unless you're by the immediate coast FL isn't all that beautiful. It's pretty basic. Flat and trees.... oh and swamp. that's it.

Yes the winter months can be nice. That's when I find that I'm most fit is during the winter is because I'm able to exercise outside and am able to get a good run in without wanting to basically die of heat stroke.

so, idk. FL is just OK. Like another poster said, u'd prob be better off in Houston or Charlotte because jobs are more plentiful.

I dont find Tampa particularly attractive. By the coast in Pinellas, it's very pretty, but Tampa itself is pretty drab and boring IMO.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,894,054 times
Even though FL is just "okay," according to other posters on here, I'd still prioritize it over Texas or the Carolinas simply because the culture is just too southern for people coming from the northeast or Midwest. Too much church, conservatism, family focus, country music and all that stuff. Not to offend anyone, but it's just not my flavor of life.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM

790 posts, read 1,263,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Even though FL is just "okay," according to other posters on here, I'd still prioritize it over Texas or the Carolinas simply because the culture is just too southern for people coming from the northeast or Midwest. Too much church, conservatism, family focus, country music and all that stuff. Not to offend anyone, but it's just not my flavor of life.
But you live in CT, how are you going to give advice on day to day life in FL?

So you went to Disney once 2 years ago, doesnt mean FL doesnt have a Southern culture.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,608,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You will find that same "stuff" over large areas of Florida.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,894,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
But you live in CT, how are you going to give advice on day to day life in FL?

So you went to Disney once 2 years ago, doesnt mean FL doesnt have a Southern culture.
I know FL very well. I've been going down there for the past 20+ years. I have family in Pinellas County, my parents have had a few beach houses in Ormond Beach, and I have friends in Orlando and Melbourne. I've been to every single metro area in FL except for Ocala and Naples. So I know the state very well.

From my experience, southern culture is actually very prevalent in FL, especially in the panhandle, although Tallahassee is an exception. Lakeland and Gainesville areas are also quite southern feeling, too.

But in Texas, the country culture is infused even in the large metro areas. Perhaps someone who grew up in Texas wouldn't notice it, but a New Englander can smell it from a mile away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida