Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:56 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Can any of you anti-Florida folks figure out why FL is becoming the 3rd most populous state?

Can any of you anti-Florida folks explain how people are buying nice homes all over the state and/or having homes built when you all claim the wages are so low and job are hardly existent?

Can any of you anti-Florida folks explain why the unemployment rate in FL is less than 25 other states and D.C. while becoming the 3rd most populous state?
You aren't the brightest bulb in the box are you? People move to Florida for sun and warmer weather from states where home prices are often significantly more which allows for a nicer home and residual savings after pocketing the difference. The unemployment rate in Florida (like nationally) is based upon those working and no distinction is made between part-time or full-time employment, and also does not count those without unemployment benefits (Florida pays very few relatively speaking) or the long term unemployed who "fall off the map" in terms of being counted. Florida and Nevada lead the nation in part-time service sector jobs that don't pay benefits. Self congratulating for a low unemployment rate means squat if many of those "lucky enough" not to be counted as unemployed are working 20 hours a week at $8.50 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 PM

153 posts, read 357,801 times
I love how people here get caught up in "this versus that" mentality, when none of it really matters and you have no control over it. The my state vs your state, my income vs your income, Publix vs Wal Mart, Florida vs New York vs California is childish and at times borderline comedic.

Its as though people here have something to prove, whether they are coming here or have left. Does NY have all the good jobs? Florida have all the good beaches? California have all the good produce? ..... The answer is no, but people here are always trying to paint the worse case scenarios while telling you where they came from or are heading to is a slice of heaven.

I mean come on, if all of these things are what dictates your happiness (six figure jobs, cheap produce, gated communities, agonizing on what grocery store is around the corner or what your states COL is) then you lead a pretty pathetic existence.

How about getting off these complainypants forums and have some adventure in your life. Get out there and try out these different areas, cultures, foods, communities, beaches, employment .... all across this beautiful country that we are so fortunate to call home.

Change your mindset to APPRECIATE each area / state for their differences. Stop feeding on the useless "things are soooo much better elsewhere" and go there to form your own opinions and make your own memories. I bet you'll see that things are never as good or as bad as others here want you to believe and you may find a place you like better than where you are currently at.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-28-2014 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: advertising/spam

Old 04-17-2014, 04:19 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince View Post
I love how people here get caught up in "this versus that" mentality, when none of it really matters and you have no control over it. The my state vs your state, my income vs your income, Publix vs Wal Mart, Florida vs New York vs California is childish and at times borderline comedic.

Its as though people here have something to prove, whether they are coming here or have left. Does NY have all the good jobs? Florida have all the good beaches? California have all the good produce? ..... The answer is no, but people here are always trying to paint the worse case scenarios while telling you where they came from or are heading to is a slice of heaven.

I mean come on, if all of these things are what dictates your happiness (six figure jobs, cheap produce, gated communities, agonizing on what grocery store is around the corner or what your states COL is) then you lead a pretty pathetic existence.

How about getting off these complainypants forums and have some adventure in your life. Get out there and try out these different areas, cultures, foods, communities, beaches, employment .... all across this beautiful country that we are so fortunate to call home.

Change your mindset to APPRECIATE each area / state for their differences. Stop feeding on the useless "things are soooo much better elsewhere" and go there to form your own opinions and make your own memories. I bet you'll see that things are never as good or as bad as others here want you to believe and you may find a place you like better than where you are currently at.

Exactly.

Truth is that SOME jobs pay less in Florida than elsewhere. SOME professions are more or less represented in Florida than elsewhere. SOME areas have ridiculously low COL, others have high. Texas has low house prices, and appx 3% property tax. CA has high home prices and appx 1% property tax. Florida is in the middle, and has appx 2% property tax.

The truth is not everyone in NY, CT and CA works professional jobs making amazing salaries. Check how national companies pay their employees across regions. They make COL adjustments and call it a day.

(And to the guy paying $2500/year for car insurance.... you got ripped off. Insuring an Audi A5 with typical 100/300 coverage shouldn't cost that much).

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-28-2014 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: advertising/spam

Old 04-17-2014, 05:02 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Exactly.

Truth is that SOME jobs pay less in Florida than elsewhere. SOME professions are more or less represented in Florida than elsewhere. SOME areas have ridiculously low COL, others have high. Texas has low house prices, and appx 3% property tax. CA has high home prices and appx 1% property tax. Florida is in the middle, and has appx 2% property tax.

The truth is not everyone in NY, CT and CA works professional jobs making amazing salaries. Check how national companies pay their employees across regions. They make COL adjustments and call it a day.

(And to the guy paying $2500/year for car insurance.... you got ripped off. Insuring an Audi A5 with typical 100/300 coverage shouldn't cost that much).
While your statements are true, the premise of your point is simply stupid. Of course there will be some jobs that pay more or less or this or that or whatever. But in general, it is true that most jobs will pay less in Florida than in say, New York, for the same exact job. So, it is more likely than not that the same job will pay less in Florida than New York. We can't possibly analyze every possible type of wage/cost scenario, but the best available information we have is generalizations, averages and statistics.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince View Post

I disagree with you totally in one major respect. Having a relatively well-paying job that allows a person to live the lifestyle he/she wants makes all the difference in the world. No matter where you live. You - IIRC - have some kind of job working on power lines and the like (can't remember exactly what you do). You are probably reasonably well paid for that in Florida. And can enjoy a lifestyle you enjoy. Still - your income and lifestyle would not have been enough to make me happy as a lawyer. OTOH - my husband and I kind of hit the jackpot here in terms of lawyering (both in terms of time and place). Although we certainly weren't anywhere close to the highest earning lawyers in Florida in our very large circle of friends and acquaintances. And were - like you seem to be - reasonably content living a relatively modest lifestyle in light of our income (which is something we have in common).

IIRC - another thing we have in common is neither of us moved here on a whim. We planned our moves in advance in many respects. Robyn

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-28-2014 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: advertising/spam

Old 04-17-2014, 05:12 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I have come to the conclusion that you are a ******* and your posts are useless.

How about those who never bought a house before their relocation? Do you think EVERYBODY up north
owns a home? It is harder to find a job in NYC than it is anywhere in FL. You think there are a lot of people lining up for jobs here when its quadruple there. It has been that way for decades. You dont think every other state in the union has people who work just part time or just full time and that nobody anywhere else has exhausted unemployment benefits? Overall, you are delusional that you think FL is so much different than everywhere else and has its own set of rules for making statistics. You are hung up on minimum wage and that is probably what you've earned all your life so you have no comprehension of what others do for a living or how much they get paid. If your world everybody works in a restaurant or some other service industry as you do. That is not the reality of the world.

QUOTE=kyle19125;34410933]You aren't the brightest bulb in the box are you? People move to Florida for sun and warmer weather from states where home prices are often significantly more which allows for a nicer home and residual savings after pocketing the difference. The unemployment rate in Florida (like nationally) is based upon those working and no distinction is made between part-time or full-time employment, and also does not count those without unemployment benefits (Florida pays very few relatively speaking) or the long term unemployed who "fall off the map" in terms of being counted. Florida and Nevada lead the nation in part-time service sector jobs that don't pay benefits. Self congratulating for a low unemployment rate means squat if many of those "lucky enough" not to be counted as unemployed are working 20 hours a week at $8.50 an hour. [/quote]

Old 04-17-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
...We can't possibly analyze every possible type of wage/cost scenario, but the best available information we have is generalizations, averages and statistics.
But people should be talking about their specific situations - not generalizations. Assuming they're talking about moving from X to Y - as opposed to simply BSing on a chatboard. Robyn

Old 04-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
..IME, most people in Florida have a strong preference for Wal-Mart over Target, even in the wealthier areas (e.g., Boca), because of generally lower salaries, hence less disposable income overall as Kyle mentioned. I will have you know that no one I know in SoCal or the Phoenix area shops at Wal-Mart over Target!...
Doubt you know anyone who has money. I have money - and don't shop at Walmart or Target.

Quote:
Winn Dixie stores, at least in South Florida, were few and far between, mostly due to the majority of their Florida stores having shuttered as they simply couldn't compete with behemoth Publix. I haven't shopped at a Winn Dixie store in years, but I've heard they haven't changed much over the past ten years or so--poor/very limited customer service, old/antiquated-looking, dimly lit, poorly designed, poor overall selection, etc. Simply stated, Winn Dixie has never altered their business model and, therefore, is unable to compete with other major grocers.
Nothing like talking about stuff you don't know beans about. Here in JAX - the home of the Winn Dixie founder family - a lot of the WD stores have been renovated and look pretty nice. Still - the management is lacking and the store service shows it. Our WD is actually closer to us than any of our 3 local Publix stores - but we don't frequent it hardly at all.

Quote:
Aldi and Save-A-Lot are discount retailers that aren't even remotely on the same playing field as your typical grocery stores such as Publix, Safeway, Kroger, Stop & Shop, etc. I wouldn't shop at those stores for all the tea in China, and quite frankly, I don't think I've ever lived in a neighborhood with an Aldi or Save-A-Lot in my life.

I've never even heard of Bravo, and I lived in Florida for 12 years, so it can't be that popular.

I will admit that I forgot about The Fresh Market, a grocery store I wish we had more of out West, but we have Sprouts, whose quality and prices are superior, IMO.
Up here in the metro JAX area - we don't have Aldi - Safeway - Kroger or Bravo. Perhaps Save-A-Lot and/or Stop & Shop - but I never heard of them and they're not anywhere near where I live (I live in a "high rent area").

We do have Fresh Market and Whole Foods and Trader Joe's will be opening soon. Equally important - we have many excellent ethnic grocery stores. My special favorite is JAX Oriental Market. When I lived in Miami - it had similar specialty places (as well as very high end grocery stores like Epicure). Overall - as a prolific and good home cook - I can't complain about the buying options I have available.

Quote:
Oh, yeah--no frequent shopper/club card-types of programs at Publix either.
So what's your point? You need cheap stuff and Publix wasn't cheap enough for you? Robyn

Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I like wandering around the electronics while wifey is doing the grocery shopping...
Don't tell me. You're an old retired fart. Exactly how old are you? And how old is "wifey"? Cripes - what planet do you come from? What century? I recommend that you learn how to shop for groceries in case dear old wifey predeceases you. Robyn

Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
But people should be talking about their specific situations - not generalizations. Assuming they're talking about moving from X to Y - as opposed to simply BSing on a chatboard. Robyn
Of course....if that specific information is known. But when it's unknown, the best information available is generalizations, statistics, wage data, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida