Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 11:10 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am sure that if you spend a little time in any U.S. city you will find that drivers are the same no matter where you go. Geographics do not cause a person to drive better of worse.
This is so unbelievably untrue--drivers are not the same regardless of where you are. Try to argue with me that drivers in Florida are the same as drivers in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, et al.

Clearly, you've only ever driven in New York/New Jersey and Florida, like most people in Florida.

Please, spare me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times
"Pee Bandit" urinating on unsuspecting people in Floriduh
Police: Man urinated on people near Florida campus - New York News

Giant South American lizards invade Hillsborough County, Floriduh
Tegu lizard beginning to overrun parts of Florida - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 AM

790 posts, read 1,269,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr e View Post
And certainly a lot less likely to lean on their horns.
We all know if you honk your horn at someone on Florida Roads, you will get shot or dragged out of your car and beaten, thats why noone "leans on their horn" here.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr e View Post
Nobody knows that, because it's not likely to happen. But go ahead, dig up a report of it happening once and try to tell us that it will always happen, and only in FL.
I dont need to dig up anything, FL has a known issue with stuff like this and imagine the stuff that never makes the news and doesnt get reported. In addition, FL doesnt lead the country in pedestrian and bicycle deaths for nothing. The people here cant drive for **** its a FACT.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times
Keep honking, I'm reloading

Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Keep honking, I'm reloading
LOL, soo true. I dont even get into "road rage" fits anymore because...whats the point of potentially dying or getting hurt over some BS

Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I had someone say to me just a few weeks ago... this is a well respected, professional that works for Orange Co. He said he will not honk at anyone or make obsense gestures or anything anymore in a dispute on the roads. He said you dont know what ppl will do.

This makes me nervous b/c not only do I run out of patience with idiots and careless drivers on the roads at times, but I'd hate for someone I love to honk at someone or whatever, and someone take it to the extreme. This is why I'm not convinced that I will stay in the state of FL long-term. I dont want my beautiful daughters around that type of environment. Its scary enough when your kids get old enough to drive, but then to deal with this stuff. No thanks. And its sad, b/c when we moved back to Central FL, I never thought I'd possibly think of returning to the Carolina's one day... but I have to admit, I am. It's just a better place to raise a family. It sux and it's disapointing, but my family and the environment they're in is much more important than warm weather, beaches, etc.
If you've decided that Florida is not for you and your family, then by all means, you ought to find a place to move where you believe the quality of life will be better for all of you.

And if, in justification of your decisions or something akin to that, you concentrate on news outlets, and anecdotal reports of road rage and other incidents solely in Florida, ignoring reports of similar incidents in other parts of the country, I imagine you could convince yourself that all the evils in the world are concentrated right here in the Sunshine State, and by moving your family elsewhere, you'll have found a true Utopia where one can honk his horn, flip birds at other drivers and even perhaps yell at them for a perceived infraction and suffer no consequences except perhaps a "howdy" and a cordial wave back from the other drivers, LOL.

But I'd be careful where you go . If you're concentrating on finding the reported evils, oddities and other strange incidents in Florida, you might miss those incidents of road rage that abound in any number of other states besides Florida. And you might end up on the short end of the stick in honking, flipping a bird, or reacting in any other way to a given road rage incident in these locations just as you might to one in Florida.

HowStuffWorks "Road Rage Statistics"

This article is interesting, talks about the anatomy of road rage, and it lists the five top cities in terms of the number of road rage incidents: No surprise to anyone familiar with that area ( as I am), Miami, FL is listed as No. 1 on this list, followed by: "The other four cities rounding out the top five include New York City, Boston, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. ". You'll note that not one of the other cities on this list is located in Florida.

Here's a link to a CBS affiliate news station in Philadelphia, where a search for "road rage incidents" turned up quite a list, including incidents in and around Philly, New Jersey, and Delaware:

Recent Road Rage Stories | 6abc.com

And here's the report of an incident in Great Britain, lest you think that it's only Americans( ie, Floridians) who are such brutes:

Furious female motorist climbs on roof of BMW in ROAD RAGE incident | Mail Online

Then a couple of incidents in Texas:
10-year-old witnesses grandfather's road-rage death - Houston Chronicle

Dallas police officer suspended over road rage incident | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

And southern CA:

Driver Fatally Shot In Possible Road Rage Incident On 210 Freeway In Sylmar « CBS Los Angeles

Caught on Camera: Marine Goes Ape**** in 'Traumatizing' Road Rage Incident

And even one in NC:

Couple appear in court after videotaped road rage shooting in NC - WBTW-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Florence, SC

This occurred in NJ, but involved a rifle-wielding driver from NC:
Southern gentleman: N.C. man pointed rifle at Hackensack couple in road rage incident, cops say | NJ.com

And this was what a very brief internet search of road rage incidents in specific locations turned up. Just the tip of the iceberg. If you believe such things only occur in Florida, I'd suggest you start looking somewhere other than planet Earth to raise your family in a violence/wierdness-free atmosphere.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

And this was what a very brief internet search of road rage incidents in specific locations turned up. Just the tip of the iceberg. If you believe such things only occur in Florida, I'd suggest you start looking somewhere other than planet Earth to raise your family in a violence/wierdness-free atmosphere.

Most of you are not seeing THE POINT. Sure anyone can google "road rage + Illinois" and come up with a list of road rage and crazy news incidents, but how many of those were this week, or last. The list from the OP and several other posts of crazy FL news stories ITT were just WITHIN THE LAST 2 WEEKS.

We are talking about frequency and the types of things that go on in here, and right on cue the "cheerleaders" come to save us all from the thought that Florida isnt some weirdo hangout LOL which leads me to believe that it is acutally a weirdo haven.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:28 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
We all know if you honk your horn at someone on Florida Roads, you will get shot or dragged out of your car and beaten, thats why noone "leans on their horn" here.
b.s. They dont do it because it is uncivilized, noise pollution and does nothing. A 'tap' on the horn
when someone delays at a light is enough. Can and does your scenario happen? Yes it does.
Moral of the story: Act civilized, not like a a-hole.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:34 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
believe what ever you want. I posted yesterday that I found ONE road rage incident in the news this year in FL. The guy wound up shooting himself.

I dont see why you cant understand that the density of the population is going to make a difference in frequency of events. Population Density = More chances for anything. Good things and bad.

Want to protect yourself from bad things? Buy and learn to use a handgun or other firearm. 12 gauge shotguns quell many disagreements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Most of you are not seeing THE POINT. Sure anyone can google "road rage + Illinois" and come up with a list of road rage and crazy news incidents, but how many of those were this week, or last. The list from the OP and several other posts of crazy FL news stories ITT were just WITHIN THE LAST 2 WEEKS.

We are talking about frequency and the types of things that go on in here, and right on cue the "cheerleaders" come to save us all from the thought that Florida isnt some weirdo hangout LOL which leads me to believe that it is acutally a weirdo haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida