Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2006, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 35,922 times

Advertisements

We want to get away for the summer and live near the beach. We are looking for a fun but safe town to live in. We plan on waitressing so if anyone knows of fun places to work that would be appreciated. We would be living in Florida from April to August. There is going to be 3-5 girls and we would like to live in a fairly cheap house or appartment (one or two bedrooms would work). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michigan Girls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 05:22 PM
cee

32 posts, read 178,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Girls View Post
We want to get away for the summer and live near the beach. We are looking for a fun but safe town to live in. We plan on waitressing so if anyone knows of fun places to work that would be appreciated. We would be living in Florida from April to August. There is going to be 3-5 girls and we would like to live in a fairly cheap house or appartment (one or two bedrooms would work). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michigan Girls
if you're into the club scene, there's always south beach. a bunch of restaurants, bars, and clubs to waitress in, but the cost of living can be a bit pricey. however, if it's 3-5 people, then you will be splitting rent and it wont be so bad. best part, you probably wont need a car most of the time in south beach because everything is walking distance (even shopping). when i was in college, i went to so. beach for spring break and didn't use my car all week. in terms of safety, it's like any clubbing district-- you gotta watch out, but use good judgement.

another place that's under the radar is Jacksonville Beach. it's not as clubby as South Beach, but there are many bars and a good amt of clubs in that area. renting there would be MUCH cheaper that south beach, and jax beach is much more chill-- it's more of a surfer town. it's safer too. unlike so. beach, you'll need a car in jax beach because it isn't as much of a city like south beach. however, it's a great place to spend a summer.

i'm from tampa, and most of the "fun" in the tampa bay area is in the city of tampa, which is inland and a good 25-45 min drive to the closest beaches, depending on traffic.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:46 PM

thanks for all the info, we were also looking at St. pete's beach because we have vacationed there, do you have any feed back?

also do you know a good way to find a house to rent, or appt for only 3 months near any of the areas you mentioned, and st. pete's

thanks again for the response!!!

~ Michigan Girls

Old 10-24-2006, 07:00 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times
You have a two-sided coin: there would be TONS of rentals because you would be arriving in the off-season; you would also be arriving at the worst time for for employment because of the annual slowdown. You can always find a job working in a restaurant here, but it's may not be as busy as you might need.

As for fun, SPB is a fairly conservative town. Again, the flipside is that SPB is bar-none the safest area in Pinellas County (google "tampa bay crime tracker").

I don't know what kind of "beach experience" you want. For some, SPB is perfect. For others it's kind of boring and quiet. You might want to look into Clearwater beach if you want to be around a lot of people and a little more bustle.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:36 PM

75 posts, read 334,831 times
Wow, so many to choose from. Safe you say? Well, I really like Pensacola Beach. It's in Northern Florida and things are not as dangerous as South Florida. St Pete Beach isn't so bad either. I have been to St Pete Beach many times and not had any problems. I guess it depends on what you call fun.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 PM
cee

32 posts, read 178,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Girls View Post
thanks for all the info, we were also looking at St. pete's beach because we have vacationed there, do you have any feed back?

also do you know a good way to find a house to rent, or appt for only 3 months near any of the areas you mentioned, and st. pete's

thanks again for the response!!!

~ Michigan Girls
to be quite honest with you, i'm 25 and only a few years removed from my college days and i really see no reason to be in st. pete beach. it's a great beach, but it's pretty slow and the nightlife isn't kickin'. i'm assuming you girls want to have fun while you work, so i wouldn't recommend st. pete beach. i understand that its familiar, but if there's something else better, might as well venture out and try something better.

like i've said, i think jax beach would fit what you guys are looking for. if you just wanted to relax and chill on the beach one day, jax beach can offer that. if you wanted to go out to the bars/clubs, jax beach offers that as well. south beach in miami can be a little crazy at times. if you're looking for the las vegas on the beach type atmosphere, i recommend south beach. however, being out of my college days, i can only stomach staying up till 4AM partying a few weekends every year.

regardless of what you do, i'd check craigslist.com for summer rentals.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 PM

Default thank you so much

thanks for all of the info, it is very helpful!!! we plan on looking into both of your suggestions!!!

thanks again

Michigan Girls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida