Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 8,271 times

Advertisements

Moved from PA 4 years ago. There's things I like about Florida but overall it's better up north and I will be moving when the time is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 12:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
They say Florida is the most southern northern state if that makes any sense but thats only South Florida. North Florida is about as southern as it gets by the GA and AL border. Orlando, Tampa have some southern elements mixed in with the Northern and International transplants. Florida is just a crazy state, a true melting pot a little like Texas its kinda of its own geographical region but then again just my opinion.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:16 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
Anyone with Winter Blues move to Florida for that reason? If so did it cure the problem? Or did it just manifest in a different way?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:12 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
We moved from Ohio and absolutely love what Florida has to offer us. We enjoy being warm and being outside, so the weather here suits us the vast majority of the year. I like getting up to blue skies, sunshine, warmth, flowering plants, and the natural beauty which surrounds me here. The sandhill cranes, white pelicans, and other birds I see frequently in my neighborhood are an added bonus. I realize Florida is not for everyone, but for me it's amazing and I wish I could've gotten here sooner. I miss my friends in Ohio, but I'd never want to live there again after experiencing what we have here. There's a spot for everyone and when you find your spot it feels like home and where you were meant to be all along. It's hard to describe, but if you've ever experienced it, it's undeniable.

That's absolutely bizarre that you mentioned that, because that was EXACTLY how I felt when I stepped out of the plane and into damp musty air of the airport at Fort Lauderdale for the first time. It was inexplicable. South Florida felt just like "home" to me.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,185 times
Yes! Now I am.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:52 AM

90 posts, read 127,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
That's absolutely bizarre that you mentioned that, because that was EXACTLY how I felt when I stepped out of the plane and into damp musty air of the airport at Fort Lauderdale for the first time. It was inexplicable. South Florida felt just like "home" to me.

......so my husband and I felt like that as well when we moved to Central Coast California from cold blustery, western ny around 5 yrs ago for pre retirement dream jobs. We absolutely feel connected here, love the lifestyle and weather.....the WINE... although- high housing costs-- but we managed to buy a condo in a very nice complex. We felt this was our last "incarnation". With each visit back east it is harder and harder to deny that we really miss our family.....children are grown, but have young grandchildren....siblings are aging....and visits are few and far between from people we love in WNY. We have no family nearby whatsoever. The airfare to visit here is high and you lose a day on each end to get here, so we do not get many visitors even though it is a fabulous vacation to come here, we are 7 mins from Pacific Coast highway. (conversely they all manage to take other vacations....:-( )) We have been spending all of our vacation money and time to visit back east every summer.

.....we have decided its time to retire and plan on taking that leap next June 2016. Our gut tells us we need to get back to the other side of the country so that we do not lose our connections to our family and friends. We are torn! Since we will not move back to a place that has 6 months of hibernation due to cold... we are probably going to move to Florida, looking at northeast....actually centering search from New Smyrna as far up as St. Aug. In Florida we have cousins, friends...so we won't be isolated again, and it is a much easier commute flight wise $$ and even drivable (since we won't have time restrictions) --

-- are we crazy to leave a place we love so? we are early 60's. We feel we will lose too many connections if we stay out here, especially at a time when we will have time on our hands to have some fun with people we love. We also know that Florida affordability is better for our retirement next egg.

We will be in Florida to explore our next destination this August.
We'll see.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:04 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Florida is Hell's waiting room.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Florida is Hell's waiting room.
How very original.
It's gotta be at least a week since we've heard that one.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 AM

734 posts, read 921,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
How very original.
It's gotta be at least a week since we've heard that one.
don't feed the retards

Old 01-23-2015, 07:22 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
True. There is an abundance of them. Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida