Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
I love FL ever since my first visit 15 years ago but I gotta say I am and always will be partial to the summertime at the south jersey shore. I am selling a lot giving a lot away and downsizing my life in general.Even though i visit every 3 or 4 months its not enough! I am going for the permanent move to Florida next year. I already got the Fl house and going to be renting out the NJ shore house in the spring of 2015. I will be moving down to Florida Keys for good or at least until i retire in 20 years and start snow-birding! As for Florida there is nothing like going out back and hopping in your boat parked in the canal and heading out for a leisurely Saturday afternoon party at picnic island. Swimming in the Ocean on X-mas day cant be beat either. The summers are a wee bit hot in Florida but i myself can't stand the cold it actually makes some old injuries appear to flare up and ache more too. I would rather be in on or near the water and florida is the place to be for that kind of fun.

Congratulations on finally making the decision! And take me with you on your boat, lol! Nothing like taking a dip, and parking at a real deserted island for lunch - in the middle of December no less...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 04:44 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That said, I found your post on living in the Keys one of the best I've read in this forum...
My goodness, thank you for the compliments!

Too bad living in the Keys wasn't for you, but I'm glad you have good memories of the people. I find that to still be true, they are very laid back and friendly as a whole, even if some have a side dish of crazy to go with that friendly, lol!

Old 05-16-2014, 04:47 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Excuse me StarFish if i'm a bit sensitive as well,The topic asked if one is glad they made the move to Florida which presumes a yes or no response, in post 27 i merely said it didnt work for me and that i now find Florida a nice place to visit, for that comment i was attacked most vigorously.Thus the reason i get irritated when people cast any one saying the slightest negative about Florida as a hater and basher a veritable troll.
Maybe the best cure for that is to grow a thick skin and not to care what others say- you know there are elements spoiling for an argument who will pick apart any comment they don't like or agree with, and they'll often add a personal dig as well, but really, that doesn't change anything about you, or affect your life in any way...

Old 05-17-2014, 01:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Maybe the best cure for that is to grow a thick skin and not to care what others say- you know there are elements spoiling for an argument who will pick apart any comment they don't like or agree with, and they'll often add a personal dig as well, but really, that doesn't change anything about you, or affect your life in any way...
With 3K+ posts in the political forum the skin is thick enough, my curiosity was concerning the logic of a topic that calls for a yes or no response then getting attacked for saying no..
As for making the move to Florida? i was a kid when Mom and Dad decided to immigrate to Florida,i had no say in the matter, so to answer the question of whether i was glad to make the move to Florida i'd say in my case i never got comfortable with the Florida experience and had no problems moving up north in my late 20's.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 PM

25 posts, read 47,503 times
So what part of Florida did everyone move to ? we are wanting to move to Florida by March but having a hard time finding a area we want to move to . We want to rent and want to be within 10 mins of the beach HELP...

Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM

390 posts, read 609,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassey346 View Post
So what part of Florida did everyone move to ? we are wanting to move to Florida by March but having a hard time finding a area we want to move to . We want to rent and want to be within 10 mins of the beach HELP...

Each section of Florida offers something different. You have North Florida and South Florida with coasts on both sides. Is there anything in particular that you are looking for like arts, fishing, surfing, etc.? And how much can you afford per month in rent.

I'm still in transition on making the move to SWFL. I have mixed feelings since I have lived in the Northeast for my whole life. I should be there permanently sometime this year.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassey346 View Post
10 mins toi the beach is do-able. It is just very expensive. If you want to be 10 mins to the beach then you can concentrate your search on areas that are on the coasts of FL.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
CT/NY/NJ my entire life until I moved here in 2005. Don't regret it, but I came with six figures in savings and plenty to put on the table to get a good paying job at a time when we were experiencing less than 3% unemployment. I also already owned a home here which I had built after years of research and thought.

I would do it again, but only under those circumstances.

I have to constantly shake my head at the people who want to come to Florida for a "fresh start" with no job skills, four kids, everything they own packed into a trailer towed by their 1998 Dodge with an oil leak and bald tires, and enough cash to stay in a welfare motel in Kissimmee for a week while they "find jobs."

Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 AM

94 posts, read 289,704 times
I really just moved for the better weather. I knew going into it that Florida wasn't a "land of opportunity." The weather was a really big deal for me, though. I grew up in southern Ohio, and I grew really tired of the continuous gray, overcast days that would dominate the sky about 75 percent of the time (seemingly). I have struggled financially and in terms of landing on my feet, but there is more to do here, my mood is better, and I don't get sick/have allergies anymore, so there's that.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:35 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
CT/NY/NJ my entire life until I moved here in 2005. Don't regret it, but I came with six figures in savings and plenty to put on the table to get a good paying job at a time when we were experiencing less than 3% unemployment. I also already owned a home here which I had built after years of research and thought.

I would do it again, but only under those circumstances.

I have to constantly shake my head at the people who want to come to Florida for a "fresh start" with no job skills, four kids, everything they own packed into a trailer towed by their 1998 Dodge with an oil leak and bald tires, and enough cash to stay in a welfare motel in Kissimmee for a week while they "find jobs."

LMAO.

I feel for those who believe Florida will fix any problems they have. Then get here and find out those same problems wont go away and then blame Florida for not fixing the mess they made.

Still laughing at your last paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida