Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 12,068 times

Advertisements

Am looking to buy a holiday home in Florida with two other couples. We are all from London, England.

Undecided on location. Would prefer to be no more than 10 miles from a beach and no more than one hour drive from an international airport. We have been thinking of Palm Beach area Boca etc. Our budget is $300,000 - $450,000. Ideally we would like a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house in a nice sub division.

Concerned about high property taxes. In UK for this price property we pay about $1500 a year. Also, how much would we have to pay for building/hurricane insurance. I also dont know how your property tax system works. Is it revalued when you buy the house?

Any ideas on location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 11:29 AM

96 posts, read 344,631 times
Property taxes would most like be $6000 with $4000 - $6000 for property insurance. As you would not qualify for a homestead exemption, which caps Florida residents tax increases on their property to 3% among other things, your property tax would be subject to further increases. It is revalued at the time you buy the house. Also, I recommend you look west of Interstate 95 as private insurers are very difficult to find for those areas.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:01 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard0181 View Post
Am looking to buy a holiday home in Florida with two other couples. We are all from London, England.

Undecided on location. Would prefer to be no more than 10 miles from a beach and no more than one hour drive from an international airport. We have been thinking of Palm Beach area Boca etc. Our budget is $300,000 - $450,000. Ideally we would like a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house in a nice sub division.

Concerned about high property taxes. In UK for this price property we pay about $1500 a year. Also, how much would we have to pay for building/hurricane insurance. I also dont know how your property tax system works. Is it revalued when you buy the house?

Any ideas on location?

This is a good site to get you started:

http://www.century21sunland.com/

Prices are dropping, but if your not in a hurry I would wait a little longer, this site even gives you the estimated taxes.

Also dont' forget to add Wind Damage to your Insurance premium, that is unless you pay the home off and don't finance.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks for replies.

It will be a cash purchase.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:04 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
You mentioned Palm Beach. Please visit http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/papa/index.htm

I live in Broward County and they have an easy to access calculator - check www.bcpa.net or http://www.bcpa.net/TaxCalc.asp

Based on $400,000, taxes would run approx $7300.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard0181 View Post

Any ideas on location?
You might consider looking in Pinellas County as well. The entire peninsula is barely 10 miles across, surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay. It is also within a one hour drive of Tampa International Airport. Some of the cities within Pinellas County are St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Seminole, Bellair, Indian Rocks, Treasure Island, Boca Ciega and several other small towns as well.

Good luck with your search in the Sunshine State!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:17 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,322 times
While I'm reticent to encourage any more people to move here, Northeast Florida is probably the very best bang for your buck as far as proximity to the ocean (lots of coastline), services, quality of life and real estate prices.

The old saying is that in Florida, there is safe, convenient and cheap.
You can only pick two.

In Northeast Florida, you can almost have all three.
If you want a "big city", Jacksonville is a good choice, however, St. Augustine and St. Johns county is a lovely place that is still very reasonably priced (in relative terms) with all services and amenities.
While I don't recommend St. Johns County for younger people or families with children- as there is somewhat of a lack of "things to do" compared to other places- it's an absolutely superb place for someone like yourself who is looking to buy a home to vacation to a few times a year or less.

Just today, I was out crabbing at my brothers home- he paid $160,000 for it this year... Concrete block home, absolutely STELLAR middle/upper-middle income area (St. Augustine Shores) and we walked from his house right down to the intercoastal waterway and pulled supper right from the salt water. The Atlantic ocean/beach is a short 5 minute drive further.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:56 AM

thanks for replies.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:39 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Look into Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens (both in Palm Beach County). Close enough to glitz, but far enough away if you want to relax.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:00 PM

96 posts, read 424,669 times
I was told to RUN if I saw a sign saying 'Welcome to Jacksonville', lest you take your life in your hands...Is that not true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida