Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 PM

159 posts, read 292,219 times

Advertisements

You get tons of these I'm sure, but a search of the threads didn't produce many results for some reason.
Humor me?
Any links to threads on the same topic? Must eat restaurants, best place to rent jet skis, best beach areas? We are staying in a friend's condo the 2nd week of June. Mostly (fun) adults ages 24-40 and a couple of 16 year old girls.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 05:22 PM

729 posts, read 1,300,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname10 View Post
You get tons of these I'm sure, but a search of the threads didn't produce many results for some reason.
Humor me?
Any links to threads on the same topic? Must eat restaurants, best place to rent jet skis, best beach areas? We are staying in a friend's condo the 2nd week of June. Mostly (fun) adults ages 24-40 and a couple of 16 year old girls.

Thanks
I was there with my family just last month and plan on going back sometime this summer.

Where in Destin is the condo and is it beachside? Are you trying to eat seafood and or you looking for a good mix? Do you want a beach with a lot of people or something less crowded?

Old 05-28-2014, 07:41 AM

We actually don't know exactly where the condo is, it is a friend's, not sure of the exact address yet. But we will have our vehicles with us and driving around is definitely an option. We are from southwest Louisiana so we eat seafood all the time. We can eat at seafood restaurants but its not a must, a mix would probably be better. And something less crowded. Although I think we may try to go to Big Kahuna water park.. any fun? My husband is 26 goin on 12

Old 05-28-2014, 08:18 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
You may find that annual Big Kahuna passes (with free 'guest' passes) cost much less than Day passes (We never go to BK, except when the grandkids come and the annual pass saves us money). Callahan's Rest. and also LandShark (both about 755 Hwy 98 E) offer good food, large quantities (splits are easy on many meals) and reasonable prices. Lively Movie Theater in the same area gets latest movies, yet, only charges $6 per ticket. Beasely Beach Park (off 98 between Destin and FWB) is less crowded, but, just as nice as other Destin beaches... and you don't have 'beach chair vendors' blocking your water access/view. There is an impressive, free Armament museum off of north Eglin Blvd - wide range of planes plus large indoor collections (No. of FWB)

Old 05-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You may find that annual Big Kahuna passes (with free 'guest' passes) cost much less than Day passes (We never go to BK, except when the grandkids come and the annual pass saves us money). Callahan's Rest. and also LandShark (both about 755 Hwy 98 E) offer good food, large quantities (splits are easy on many meals) and reasonable prices. Lively Movie Theater in the same area gets latest movies, yet, only charges $6 per ticket. Beasely Beach Park (off 98 between Destin and FWB) is less crowded, but, just as nice as other Destin beaches... and you don't have 'beach chair vendors' blocking your water access/view. There is an impressive, free Armament museum off of north Eglin Blvd - wide range of planes plus large indoor collections (No. of FWB)

Thanks so much for the great suggestions!! We will be checking into all of those

Old 05-28-2014, 09:19 AM

36 posts, read 62,393 times
It's kinda funny, I've lived in the Destin area since 1996 (when I was 8). I started working at a resort in Destin about 2.5 years ago, so of course I get questions all the time about where to eat. It surprised me how much I couldn't really help when I thought about. My family never went to many of local places, just went to chains. And the ones I did tell them, my co-workers would give me a hard time because I would give them the "tourist" places.

So some of mine are

Seafood/Sushi- Habror Docks. Hands down the best sushi I ever had (won award also for best sushi on the emerald coast). They catch their own fish and cook it there, unlike many places around here.

Mexican- None that stand out, most are your typical mexican places

Pizza- Hands down Jordano's is my favorite

There's really not a lot of stuff to do in this area outside of the water park, the Track, the Beach, and shop. Okaloosa Island has all the nightlife you need (I like the Piano Bar there, but that's it)

Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osufeth24 View Post
It's kinda funny, I've lived in the Destin area since 1996 (when I was 8). I started working at a resort in Destin about 2.5 years ago, so of course I get questions all the time about where to eat. It surprised me how much I couldn't really help when I thought about. My family never went to many of local places, just went to chains. And the ones I did tell them, my co-workers would give me a hard time because I would give them the "tourist" places.

So some of mine are

Seafood/Sushi- Habror Docks. Hands down the best sushi I ever had (won award also for best sushi on the emerald coast). They catch their own fish and cook it there, unlike many places around here.

Mexican- None that stand out, most are your typical mexican places

Pizza- Hands down Jordano's is my favorite

There's really not a lot of stuff to do in this area outside of the water park, the Track, the Beach, and shop. Okaloosa Island has all the nightlife you need (I like the Piano Bar there, but that's it)

Ooooh we love sushi, we will be there And pizza is always a win.
Mapquest is showing Okaloosa Island to be only about 10 mins away, awesome

Old 05-28-2014, 12:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I also like Sushimoto out by the outlet mall for sushi.

Thai food is very popular here (lots of foreign Air Force wives from Eglin AFB started restaurants back in the day). If they've reopened in their new location by Fresh Market & Marhsalls yet, I really like Jasmine Thai.

For seafood, we've given up on Destin and usually end up at Stewby's on Racetrack Road in Ft. Walton Beach- doesn't look like much and is kind of wedged between a pool supply store, but really good in terms of seafood price-performance ratio. As for chains restaurants, up until about 2004, Red Lobster in FWB had a really excellent manager and was significantly better than a lot of the local seafood places. Not sure the current status out there though.

For beaches, the teenagers would probably like the Boardwalk (Brackin Park) on Okaloosa Island the best- lots going on there. If you want a really different experience, Tops'l Hill SP is very quiet and lightly used.

Up until about two months ago, I would have recommended Pepito's for Mexican, but something seems to have gone horribly wrong lately in all their locations. If we want California-Mexican these days, we'll road trip to Cactus Flower in Navarre.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:12 PM

36 posts, read 62,393 times
yea, I hate Pepito's. If I want mexican, I just get Taco Town in Niceville, good cheap tacos

Haven't tried Sushi Moto yet, want to though

Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
Would the locals here please consider posting your info on the favorite local spots of Destin to this thread?:
//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...fl-please.html

I am trying to get a sticky going about the best of every town in the state, for a local experience (not a touristy one). Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida