Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:41 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Fine, Heathrow, Thornton Park, Lake Nona, Metro West, Celebration..... should I continue?
Heathrow (population 4,000) fits but the rest are fairly typical middle class enclaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Florida has only recently become a populous state, I remember when most of Florida was sparsely populated. So its not as if we have always historically been one of the larger states in the country with the same resources and social/business infrastructure of the other historically large states. That being said, places like CA, TX, NY, IL have always put more emphasis on higher education which translates to a direct correlation to economic health and prosperity.
Exactly while Florida has largely placed all of it's eggs in the tourism basket and little focus on the quality of higher education (or education in general) which is reflective of the state's image in the business world.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly while Florida has largely placed all of it's eggs in the tourism basket and little focus on the quality of higher education (or education in general) which is reflective of the state's image in the business world.

There are plenty of states/cities carrying "the business world'.

Florida carries the non-business world. Its the nations playground. FL consists of agriculture, natural gems such as its springs, forests, beaches, theme parks, vibrant cities, recreational activities available all year round. No other state has the natural resources we have, the weather and most of all the diversity that FL offers. 80 million people come to visit this state every year. 20 million make it their home.

Wash D.C., NYC, Las Vegas, LA, has its attractions, but they are cities within a state (except D.C. of course). The entire state of FL is an attraction.

In 2011 Florida's education system was rated No. 5 in the country by Education Week, the newspaper of record for American education news.

For everything FL has wrong it has much more that is right.

The population continues to grow even though all the facts are on the table for everyone to look at, the good, the bad and the mediocre.

As I have said before, anyone who dislikes living here, or anywhere, should pack up their show and move on to a place that better fits their needs. Life is too short to be disgruntled. Yet very few who constantly come to this forum to complain, bash, and rant ever do leave. For a place with low wages, lack of jobs,poor education, bad roads, lousy people, traffic, hurricanes, sinkholes, lightning, alligators, bugs, and what have you it sure seems to retain those who are here.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
As I have said before, anyone who dislikes living here, or anywhere, should pack up their show and move on to a place that better fits their needs. Life is too short to be disgruntled. Yet very few who constantly come to this forum to complain, bash, and rant ever do leave. For a place with low wages, lack of jobs,poor education, bad roads, lousy people, traffic, hurricanes, sinkholes, lightning, alligators, bugs, and what have you it sure seems to retain those who are here.
This just in...this isn't the State of Florida Tourism or Chamber of Commerce chat forum. It's purpose is to provide BALANCED opinions/viewpoints to those asking varying questions in order to help make decisions on relocation or other matters. Perhaps if one can't handle realistic feedback regarding said issues it would be wise to move onto another site on the internet where all of the cheerleaders gather. Not everyone for varying reasons can simply up and move from places they find unappealing, so in other words get over it.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
This just in...this isn't the State of Florida Tourism or Chamber of Commerce chat forum. It's purpose is to provide BALANCED opinions/viewpoints to those asking varying questions in order to help make decisions on relocation or other matters. Perhaps if one can't handle realistic feedback regarding said issues it would be wise to move onto another site on the internet where all of the cheerleaders gather. Not everyone for varying reasons can simply up and move from places they find unappealing, so in other words get over it.
The problem is the alleged "balanced" opinions/view points are not the actual situation. The allgeged "balanced" opinions/view points are usually based on outdated information or plain ignorance.

I agree, if one cant handle factual feedback regarding issues that really dont exist, it would be wise to move onto another site on the internet where all the disgruntled, unhappy, pissed off, stuck in one gear gather.

Anyone can simply up and move from places they find unappealing if they put their minds to the task and make the effort to do so. It's like complaining its always raining and staying in the shower stall.

If anyone can post complete b.s. or what is their opinion then certainly I and people who share my opinion can too. Like you say, it is supposed to be "balanced" opinions/view points and having people read misinformation, half truths and a constant flow of negative opinions, are certainly going get to read the rebuttal to that information.

Now you get over it.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The problem is the alleged "balanced" opinions/view points are not the actual situation. The alleged "balanced" opinions/view points are usually based on outdated information or plain ignorance.

I agree, if one cant handle factual feedback regarding issues that really dont exist, it would be wise to move onto another site on the internet where all the disgruntled, unhappy, pissed off, stuck in one gear gather.

Anyone can simply up and move from places they find unappealing if they put their minds to the task and make the effort to do so. It's like complaining its always raining and staying in the shower stall.

If anyone can post complete b.s. or what is their opinion then certainly I and people who share my opinion can too. Like you say, it is supposed to be "balanced" opinions/view points and having people read misinformation, half truths and a constant flow of negative opinions, are certainly going get to read the rebuttal to that information.

Now you get over it.
Which "alleged balanced" opinions you're referring to are actually outdated and perpetuated here? I would love some specifics to address versus a rant. And by the way, I have nothing to get over.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Which "alleged balanced" opinions you're referring to are actually outdated and perpetuated here? I would love some specifics to address versus a rant. And by the way, I have nothing to get over.
Specifics? how about "worse schools" "sinkhole capitol" "no jobs" "only low paying jobs" "unbearable summer weather". Is that enough? I gave nothing to get over either. No beefs about where I choose to live.

"

Old 06-11-2014, 02:31 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Heathrow (population 4,000) fits but the rest are fairly typical middle class enclaves.
Celebration

Celebration, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The median income for a household in the CDP was $74,231, and the median income for a family was $92,334. Males had a median income of $51,250 versus $46,650 for females. The per-capita income for the CDP was $39,521, and 4.1% of the population lived below the poverty line.
I didn't realize families making $90K+ in the Orlando MSA were middle-class.

Thornton Park families make >$60K/year (//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...rlando-FL.html)

There are decent income areas in Metro West and Lake Nona as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Yeah, but now, only two states are home to more people than Florida.
P

How many of those states are dead broke? Probably all beside 2

Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,268,391 times
Quote:
There are plenty of states/cities carrying "the business world'.

No.

Everytime you talk to clients or firm partners in NYC or Chicago they basically scoff at the Floridians on conference calls. Its funny to hear lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida