Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think there should be a rule here AGAINST posting such links which serve no purpose.

Personally I DO NOT want to read them - I read the news myself, don't need it twice on this forum.
Then why did you, in the event, actually read it, and respond to it on top of that?

On the other hand, some people do not watch television and read newspapers, so this forum also serves as an excellent source of local news, the good, the bad, the ugly.

Such stories also serve as a reminder to be aware at all times in all places.

Watching television, you can flip channels, reading newspapers you can choose what articles to read, on forums you can choose which threads to read and when to respond.

People from out of state, or from different regions of Florida, ask about crime on a rather consistent basis, so such threads can be viewed as continuations of such queries.

On the other hand, if the city.data policymakers decide to ban such threads, then they'd have to make such a policy clear and enforce it, and eventually all participants will accept it or leave.

Last edited by bale002; 12-14-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
The experts say that the human brain functions best between 30 and 40 degrees fahrenheit.
I am not sure your correct on that. From what I have read when the body is cold it will direct the blood flow to the trunk of the body to protect the vital organs for survival. The brain is almost ignored as are the extremities with priorities on the central body. A person who is cold at a point can't even think straight. I would be interested where you read that stuff.

A person in extreme heat may become delirious but it would take extreme heat and a depravation of water to bring it on. Within normal parameters I would say clear thought is most common in a warm but comfortable environment, lets say mid seventies in temperature and the brain itself would be warmer then that..

Old 12-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Then why did you, in the event, actually read it, and respond to it on top of that?

On the other hand, some people do not watch television and read newspapers, so this forum also serves as an excellent source of local news, the good, the bad, the ugly.

Such stories also serve as a reminder to be aware at all times in all places.

Watching television, you can flip channels, reading newspapers you can choose what articles to read, on forums you can choose which threads to read and when to respond.

People from out of state, or from different regions of Florida, ask about crime on a rather consistent basis, so such threads can be viewed as continuations of such queries.

On the other hand, if the city.data policymakers decide to ban such threads, then they'd have to make such a policy clear and enforce it, and eventually all participants will accept it or leave.

I don't know if that is a very good argument. Anyone who can find their way to this forum also has access to every news source on the planet. I doubt too many people get up in the morning and say to themselves, "I think I will go to the city data forum and see what is going on in the world". Sorry you made a weak argument. I don't believe it belongs on here as well.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
"I think I will go to the city data forum and see what is going on in the world". Sorry you made a weak argument. I don't believe it belongs on here as well.
I didn't argue for city data forum as a source for news around the world (I have my own internet page set up for that), but it is an excellent source for gauging conditions on various issues in Florida, its regions, and towns.

I prefer to read the opinions of forum members on such issues as the economy, real estate, taxes, crime, schools, traffic, etc., than any journalist (talk about agendas, Mike), hands down, and for various reasons, one of which is that the format is highly user-friendly (thanks to those who designed it, by the way).

If you believe that reporting crime stories does not belong here, why did you read the thread, and respond on top of that?

On the other hand, if the city.data policymakers ban such threads (or enforce an already-existing rule, I'm not sure), then I won't be too upset about it either.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I didn't argue for city data forum as a source for news around the world (I have my own internet page set up for that), but it is an excellent source for gauging conditions on various issues in Florida, its regions, and towns.

I prefer to read the opinions of forum members on such issues as the economy, real estate, taxes, crime, schools, traffic, etc., than any journalist (talk about agendas, Mike), hands down, and for various reasons, one of which is that the format is highly user-friendly (thanks to those who designed it, by the way).

If you believe that reporting crime stories does not belong here, why did you read the thread, and respond on top of that?

On the other hand, if the city.data policymakers ban such threads (or enforce an already-existing rule, I'm not sure), then I won't be too upset about it either.
Same reason you did, from the provocative title. I have no problem with these news stories any more then sports or politics stories, just this is not the place. There are other forums within this forum that are more appropriate.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
The experts say that the human brain functions best between 30 and 40 degrees fahrenheit.
It actually does work best between 36.5 and 37.5 CELSIUS which is why our body temperature is usually between 97.5 and 98.5 farenheit.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee12120 View Post
I am not saying that the south is less educated than the north.. I believe in and around the larger cities throughout the south educated people exist in abundance. However, being in such large states with so many pockets that still lack education seems to be more prevalent in the south. Nothing puzzles me more than seeing billboards throughout the south on interstate 95 advertising Adult book and toy stores and Strip joints.. Big billboards... That would never exist up north...never... A level of deviants that is acceptable still exists. Then add warm climate.... to the equation...the heat gets to some peoples brain.. The north is pulling out of nine inches of snow...the climate itself humbles you...
Do you actually believe this?

I know you wrote it but do you have any basis in fact or are you just going with whatever comes to you off the top of your head?

I highlighted part of your post to point out that some some northern cities not only will have billboards but they actually have entire sections of the city devoted to strip joints and adult stores. You also must not do alot of driving up north because the same billboards you speak of I have seen in New Jersey, New York and other states. Maybe not on 95 but I see no difference in the location of the billboards.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:13 AM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
Everyone relax--he surrendered last night. You can go back to leaving your doors unlocked again.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking of moving View Post
I read on one of the local Palm Coast forums there was a gang related stabbing at their local county fair over the weekend. Some of the locals down there say the place is gang infested and the crime is on the rise.

I have been keeping my eye on the real estate prices down there because I was and still am thinking of possibly relocating and that was one of the places. The real estate is getting cheaper and cheaper lately there, could it be the crime or is the market just ripe.

Thanks as usual, there is so much information to be had here.
Gang infested, I wouldn't say that, but I HATE Palm Coast! My husband and I are living in Palm Coast right now. I'm originally from Jacksonville, FL and my husband is originally from NYC, and neither of us can wait to get out of Palm Coast. Just like other cities, there are gangs in Palm Coast, I have been told that there are several Blood members, along with people that are members of other gangs, that live in Palm Coast, but I have never heard about any gang related violence in Palm Coast. As I said, I'm from Jacksonville FL, Jax is the largest city in FL so obviously there is some crime there, way more than in Palm Coast (but that's to be expected, Jax is way larger than PC). But I have spent pretty much my whole life in Jax and never had anything happen to me, and shortly after I first moved to PC, someone broke into my car and stole quite a bit of stuff.

Palm Coast, as a whole, is just an armpit of a "city", in my opinion. It would take me all day to tell you all the things I hate about PC, so here are just a few.. You have to drive to Daytona or St. Augustine to do just about anything, unless you just need to go to the grocery store, Walmart or Walgreens. The beaches, specifically Flagler beach, are not nice at all! Well, Matanzas beach is pretty nice, but that's about it. The way the "city" is set up is a complete mess! There are one-way streets in places where they really shouldn't be, it's confusing as hell, not to mention inconvenient. I can't tell you how many times I turned the wrong way down a one-way street in the first few months I lived here! lol! The traffic is horrific! There are only about 60,000 people in PC (I think?), but all of the streets are small, there are long stop lights all over the place, the speed limits are ridiculously slow and it just seems like everyone in PC likes to just sit in their cars, in the middle of the road, all day long! The "neighborhoods" are a mess as well! They are not set up well at all. They are not clean, and I don't understand the whole sections thing. When I first moved here someone asked me what section I lived in, I was like what on earth are you talking about!? lol! They asked me what letter my street name started with, and said that's the section I live in. I mean, it would make more sense if the "neighborhoods", or "sections", were in some kind of order, but they aren't. Not to mention, there are no signs at any of the "section" entrances to show you from the street what section it is. I also cannot stand how all of the houses look the same! It's like there are only 10 floor-plans to choose from in the entire city! There are no real restaurants, no places to shop, no where to work, etc, etc, etc.

Now, for the shorter list , there are a few things that I do like about PC. I like that no one really bothers us about the breed of dogs we own. Of course, there are some people that automatically assume that our dogs are man-eating monsters simply because what they have heard in the ever-so dependable media about APBTs (and the other "pit bull" breeds). But for the most part, most people don't seem bothered by it. We are good, responsible owners, and we own well trained and socialized, friendly dogs, and it seems like most people see that and don't care too much about the breed we own. The cost of living here is very reasonable, I think the schools are pretty good (we don't have children yet, so I'm not sure about that though), and they are in the process of building a lot of stuff. Right across the street from our "neighborhood", or "section", they just put in a Publix shopping center, and they are in the process of building a Town Center that has a Target, Petsmart, Marshalls, etc.

I do have to say, after living here for about 3 years now, we have kind of gotten use to PC, but we still don't like it! lol! In August we will be moving back up to Jacksonville, and let me tell you, August cannot come fast enough! But yeah, again, I don't think gangs are a serious problem here. In the three years we have been here, besides having our car broken into, we haven't had anything happen to us. I'm surprised that the traffic here hasn't given me a heart attack yet though!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Plenty of parks, plenty of "Hispanic women" (whatever THAT means... my little brother only dates black and Spanish decent girls himself), and "shopping"? Let's face it - everywhere on the treasure coast has the same dearth of shopping options. You won't find good shopping unless you hit Palm Beach County, and only then is it worth it if you can AFFORD the prices it takes to live in an area that's got the good shopping - like Palm Beach Gardens.

It's simply NOT worth the proximity to shopping and dining if you have to live in Westgate or Boynton Beach.
1. There are lots of choices of Hispanic women here, much less choice in Port Saint Lucie.It's a preference thing, I only like going out with Hispanic women. Your brother has good taste just like me :-)

2. Boynton Beach has great shopping, look at Boynton Town Center and the surrounding area. Nothing in the Treasure Coast is as good as that, and even in Boca, WPB, etc. there is lots of good shopping. And just because you can't afford the things in places like PGA doesn't mean you have to buy them, you can buy the cheaper items there or just look at the nice stores. The Treasure Coast doesn't even begin to compare to any of the three South Florida counties when it comes to this.

And I can imagine you didn't respond to my claim with and park listings because you probably accept the fact that the parks are worse up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida