Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 AM

63 posts, read 255,657 times

Advertisements

Have you ever lived in Daytona? My husband and I love vacationing there but what is it really like to live there? We love the beach, nascar, harleys, the flea market and coming from VT, YES!! we might have a wee bit of redneck in us. How are the jobs and housing, looking for apts only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM

94 posts, read 368,067 times
Stayed there on my house hunting trip. It is (was) a lower end Mariott that's been updated (new furniture - LCD flat screens in the rooms). Nice bar (not nice enough for the $10 cocktails and not worth the $300 they're charging for a room. Think their advantage is that their are no other major hotels downtown

Old 01-14-2008, 07:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
The Marriot has vitrually NO competition downtown. There are a couple of hotels by the airport, but the Marriot is the only hotel downtown walkable to Cityplace, Clematis, etc. (Unless you count "Hotel Evernia" which is NOT somewhere I'd ever stay!).

I think most people who visit West Palm either stay at the Marriot, or over on Palm Beach: The Breakers, the Ritz-Carlton, the Colony, etc.

Business that bring business to the hotel include Cityplace restaurants and shops, the Kravis Center (always busy during "season!"), the Convention Center, the airport....

Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
Default Florida vs. Allstate

More breaking news from the property insurance battlefront:

State bars Allstate from writing new auto policies
By Julie Patel | Sun-Sentinel.com

TALLAHASSEE - Florida Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty is temporarily banning Allstate Insurance Co. from selling new automobile insurance policies in the state.

"In view of Allstate's ongoing, blatant disregard for the laws of the state of Florida, I have little choice but to take action," McCarty told a group of reporters today. "Florida will no longer be held hostage by this company and its practices."

McCarty's announcement came the morning after he angrily halted a hearing to investigate the insurer's property insurance rates. Allstate failed to provide most of the documents that the state subpoenaed. The suspension is expected to take affect later today and regulators will allow the company to do new business when it turns in the documents.

"We're going to hit them where it hurts," McCarty said, referring to the $1 billion in auto business Allstate does in the state.

The suspension applies to Allstate Insurance Co., Allstate Indemnity Co. and Allstate Property and Casualty Co. McCarty stressed that current policy holders, including those up for renewal, will not be affected.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:03 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Default For new Florida residents.

I must read one of these stories once a week.

2 children found in Sunrise pool have died -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I know, how on earth can people not be aware of this? It makes me heartsick each and every time I read it.

I was talking to a Sheriff's deputy, big burly guy, tough as the day is long. He was called to just such an incident, he pulled the child out of the pool and tried to resuscitate the child, he kept on until the ambulance got there then went to his patrol car and cried because the child was dead.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,421 times
Thank you all for your info - i will try to answer the questions that have come my way on here all together.
I am in England and currently work for Marriott hotels.
With regards to what I have found out so far - I keep just coming up with city place!! I have done a sales test call to the hotel and asked about the area and thats what they came up with. I have called concierge and they are sending me some info (but really mentioned city place in the main). I have searched the business directory but it is tough to tell what size the businesses are. I have also read through a mixed bag of reviews on trip advisor.
With regards to other hotels - there seems to be Hilton hotels (clearly a major competitor group) but they are listed as singer island,palm beach airport and Hilton Garden Inn west palm beach airport. Are they nearby?

I can assure you that I am not looking for an easy ride here, I am doing plenty of other groundwork, just that often the info is best from residents/visitors of the area.

Many thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Default Deaths of 8 Men in Fla. Ruled Homicides

ksl.com - Deaths of 8 Men in Fla. Ruled Homicides

Old 01-19-2008, 02:07 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Very sad story. I remember it being on the national news a few times since they were found. Unfortunately, there are sociopaths all over who think they're God and have the right to do something this awful to others.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:55 AM

363 posts, read 1,360,604 times
Due to the dates, many here think it is the work of the Hog Trail killer... Daniel Conahan. His story is gruesome... but it falls in line with his killing routine.
Daniel Conahan Jr, the Hog Trail Murderer - The Crime library
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida