Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:44 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
I respectfully beg to differ.

According to The Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the crime rate index in Flagler County for 2005-2006 was UP by 49%! That's second only to Putnam, with a whopping 137%. And since Palm Coast is the only municipality in Flagler County to have experienced any significant growth....

It may just be kids wanting to look like gangsters, but somebody's pretty busy.

These statistics are available online: www.fdle.state.fl.us
When you start with extremely low crime rates, any increase is large in percentage numbers-

If there was one murder in 2003 and two murders in 2004, that would be a 100% increase, correct? Even though it was one additional crime- still a 100% increase.

However, if there were 50 murders in 2003 and 55 murders in 2004 then it's only a 10% increase.........

So it's all relative and anybody with half a brain can figure that out.

Crime is increasing along with population growth- but it is still low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 05:33 PM

460 posts, read 2,343,829 times
Ack! Now my head is spinning! Well we will get down there and find out how good or how bad it is for ourselves. I guess its a good thing we are not buying right now, lol...
It will be fun to report back to this forum about our impressions of Palm Coast.

Pirate girl, I will let you know when we get down there!

Jen

Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Post 3rd Teen Arrested in Fla. Gang Rape

I normally don't post about this issues, but lets talk.

A third teenager was arrested Thursday in the gang rape and assault of a mother and her 12-year-old son in a housing project, police said. Up to 10 masked teenagers raped and sodomized the woman and beat her son, police said. They also forced her at gunpoint to perform oral sex on the boy, she later told a TV station.

According to the article this is in West Palm Beach? Gangs in the area? This is as bad as a battle front. Are the locals and authorities taking back the area? Should they bring the Guardian Angels to patrol the area.? Your views....

Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,680 times
Why would they ever stop having Guardian Angels in the first place? When something is working why take it away?

I was very disturbed by this crime, even animals do not treat other animals like this. The violent act of crime was done by monsters.

I hope they round up everyone of those monsters and punish them to the fullest extent of the law. I don't care how old they are, they need to go to chair for what they did.

I can only hope that this family will get the help they need for this boy. Things like this can lead someone to take their own life in the end. Just like the boy that jumped off the cruise ship last week for something similar.

I have prayed for this family and urge others to do the same.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,959 times
They should all be given the gallows.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
I don't know what can be done. My view is that government subsidized apartments are not fit places for people to live. What can be done to stop this culture of violence? Eliminating drug prohibition would cut off the profit motive to be in the drug business, but that will not happen. Welfare has to be eliminated. If someone if a criminal, proper punishment needs to be administered. The ideal way to deal with this would have been for the victims to have pulled the trigger, but unfortunately that rarely can happen.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Sick, perverted, and disgusting....what would make kids even think of doing these things? I can't even begin to imagine the horror felt by that poor boy and his mother...things can never be the same for them again - even with intense counselling. And he'll have to deal with other kids who can be cruel too, making comments to him at school and in his neighborhood about what happened. This is a lot to deal with. I hope they get the help and support they need from family, friends, and the community. Hopefully they can move somewhere else and can make a fresh start eventually. And yes - those monsters who were responsible need to be punished severely. It would be scary for any of them to be back in society. And to think....there are more where they came from!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
According to the article this is in West Palm Beach? Gangs in the area? This is as bad as a battle front. Are the locals and authorities taking back the area? Should they bring the Guardian Angels to patrol the area.? Your views....
This story has been posted several times, and West Palm Beach is starting to remind me more of a third world city than Miami at times. I think the class division there is even more stark than Miami. It just has a feel to it. The sparkling clean downtown, but all of the restaurants offer free bottled water at City Place because the tap is hardly potable (At least they did when I was there two years ago), some of the shanty towns out in the Belle Glade/Phaokee region remind me of third world slum, as do some of the neighborhoods off of Southern Blvd and throughout Central PBC. The middle class there seems to be even more excluded then it is in Miami, with all of the sparkling glitz and McMansons being built around the areas and in little enclaves, and the bars on the windows throughout the city. At least you have your occasional well-cared for established Miami neighborhood. Racial Tensions run DEEP there, in fact, stormfront.org, a white supremest website, is based in WPB. It's strange, I am in Broward, and it still feels, for the most part, like an American city with a culturally diverse populace, but some of our neighbors are really putting me on the edge. I would like to think positively for this place, but I am really getting nervous...Everytime I read something up about the gang warfare stories in Palm Beach County or the government corruption in Dade, I cringe, but I say to myself at least it's not that bad here yet.I have faith for Broward, but I don't know how much longer my faith will last...Broward does not seem to be supported on anything but Miami...

I have talked about a linguistically divided America being a bad thing. This is why. Even if the economy were to thrive, it would become a high tech epicenter for latin america. What about the American economy?

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-12-2007 at 11:37 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 08:10 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
This story has been posted several times, and West Palm Beach is starting to remind me more of a third world city than Miami at times. I think the class division there is even more stark than Miami. It just has a feel to it. The sparkling clean downtown, but all of the restaurants offer free bottled water at City Place because the tap is hardly potable (At least they did when I was there two years ago), some of the shanty towns out in the Belle Glade/Phaokee region remind me of third world slum, as do some of the neighborhoods off of Southern Blvd and throughout Central PBC. The middle class there seems to be even more excluded then it is in Miami, with all of the sparkling glitz and McMansons being built around the areas and in little enclaves, and the bars on the windows throughout the city. At least you have your occasional well-cared for established Miami neighborhood. Racial Tensions run DEEP there, in fact, stormfront.org, a white supremest website, is based in WPB. It's strange, I am in Broward, and it still feels, for the most part, like an American city with a culturally diverse populace, but some of our neighbors are really putting me on the edge. I would like to think positively for this place, but I am really getting nervous...Everytime I read something up about the gang warfare stories in Palm Beach County or the government corruption in Dade, I cringe, but I say to myself at least it's not that bad here yet.I have faith for Broward, but I don't know how much longer my faith will last...Broward does not seem to be supported on anything but Miami...

I have talked about a linguistically divided America being a bad thing. This is why. Even if the economy were to thrive, it would become a high tech epicenter for latin america. What about the American economy?
Dunbar Village is section 8/low cost housing most people there are living in poverty. It's in a bad part of town, drug ridden with kids walking the streets gold teeth and oversized clothing. Tamarind Ave. is general is a cesspool.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,314 times
I live in D.C. and the raido host was talking about the incident. My heart and prayers goes out to this family. I don't understand how the police, city, governorment can let these projects get this bad.?? I went on yahoo this morning to read the whole story, it was serveral photos with captions on them one read," so a lady was raped, big deal." has this world gotten go cruel and cold that we show no remorse? Has this generation became so evil that we will subject ourselves to herming an innocent person/family for our entertainment because there are no activities for these young men and women to do?!?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida