Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:40 PM

269 posts, read 1,057,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Now I am really depressed. I spent 1 hour 10 minutes today just going on a two mile trip to the bank and when I got home had to lay down I was so stressed. I hate Fort Lauderdale, I have to get out of here soon.
Two Miles?? If traffic is that bad, maybe it's time to throw on a pair of walking shoes and hoof it eh? A bike?

Old 10-27-2006, 02:50 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
Default Me too, to Tenn maybe here I come...

I moved to FL to get away from crime, drugs, violence (Philadelphia). Where I live is very pretty. Good schools, not too much crime...but the overcrowding, the traffic, the high cost of insurance and taxes and housing for a house the size of a closet...how I can afford to raise my family and not be house poor is unobtainable where I am at. I even tried as a last ditch effort to go to a seminar for that new Ave Maria opening to hopefully get some good digs at pre-construction pricing, and found that pre-construction pricing started in the mid 200thousands!What? So this little teacher and family might have to go elsewhere.
I looked at Tennessee. If it was just for the dirt cheap prices, believe it or not, there are MANY MANY MANY other places that are cheaper than Tennessee-I have found those spots too. No, I am picking Tennessee for the 4 seasons, and the winter can't be as harsh as the winters I have alread experienced. For the small towns. For the fact there won't be high rise condos and multi-million dollar manshions left and right. For the low taxes. The low insurance. For the fact that I can afford a nice size house with a yard for my children and dog to run in and play in. For the drive to work that won't take 2 hours when it should only take 20 minutes. For the beautiful views (yes I have beautiful views here too). For the air and water quality, which are better than where I am at. Not for cheapness. All in all, I feel that I can provide for my children in this area better, and not be raped and house poor to have less.
Besides all of that, where at is Bone Cave and Rock Island? I mean in which county? So far I am considering Greeneville City, Blount County and Knox County. I need to know the county so I can find out what is practiced in their school system.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:49 PM

251 posts, read 885,806 times
Are you kidding! There is more serial killers, violence, crime, gangs, murders, etc. etc in ANY city in the US...Give me 10 acres and descent neighbors anyday over the overcrowded loud, dirty cities!! By the way MANY people in Tennessee and other areas with land do use it for useful purposes such as farming.
P.S. There is noting "great" about the city of Miami anymore, have you been there recently. "yuck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by osomd1 View Post
Mrs1885 with all due respect, I hear your point loud and clear, it's called
living dirt cheap in the land of isolation (except perhaps, for the ocassional
visit by a serial killer), I can mention a million different places that sound just like yours in our vast USA, however I beleive that the resources should be preserved, instead of having 10 acre homes all over the country for useless purpouses. If all people think like you, what would be of the great cities of the world?? such as the Rome, Paris, Madrid, Miami etc.
I have friends that live about one mile from Falls Creek Falls and it is soooooo Beautiful there!! I go there a couple times a year to visit and have been looking at some property there too! The people that live on the mountain that I have met are the nicest people you could ever meet! I envy you!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We did and have never imagined we could be so happy!!!! We are technically in a town called Bone Cave that is so small it doesn't even appear on city-data. The closest thing we can find on here is Rock Island, a little town on the other side of Hwy70S.

We are just down the mountain from Fall Creek Falls. We moved from Naples, where I grew up (5th generation no less!!) and were floored at how cheap everything here is. Our real estate taxes? $300/year. Homeowners insurance? $800 a year. Electric $170. Phone / cable / high speed internet combined $160. Water is high - $100, we were on a well in Florida. Auto insurance $600/year for 2 new vehicles.

So what's it like where we live? Well, we bought a 2550+ square foot 2 story brick home with 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, and 7.25 acres. There's no such thing as an impact fee. You build what you want, when you want, where you want on your land. We have the most amazing mountain view from our front door. I'll try to attach a picture of it.

The neighbors are amazing. Within the first week nearly every neighbor had stopped to say hi and welcome us to the area. They have been of immense help to us from calling a friend that had a chain saw that would clear our land to finding a plumber. You name it.

The schools are incredible. Class sizes are 10 - 12 kids per class. They don't have the gazillions of dollars like Florida did, but they way more than make up for it. The teachers teach because they want to teach. And it shows. They take turns volunteering their time after school to tudor the kids for free.

We've been here since May and have seen prices really going up quick. There are some new developments that are charging a fortune. If you are looking for a gated community style neighborhood you won't get the deal we did. But if you are looking for a nice country home in a rural area with good hard working down to earth God fearing people, pack your bags and get up here now!! Trust me - you wont' regret it!!

The attachment isn't working for some reason, but if you PM or e-mail me I'll send it to you!!

Old 10-27-2006, 04:05 PM

15 posts, read 59,071 times
Quote:
We did and have never imagined we could be so happy!!!! We are technically in a town called Bone Cave that is so small it doesn't even appear on city-data. The closest thing we can find on here is Rock Island, a little town on the other side of Hwy70S.

We are just down the mountain from Fall Creek Falls. We moved from Naples, where I grew up (5th generation no less!!) and were floored at how cheap everything here is. Our real estate taxes? $300/year. Homeowners insurance? $800 a year. Electric $170. Phone / cable / high speed internet combined $160. Water is high - $100, we were on a well in Florida. Auto insurance $600/year for 2 new vehicles.

So what's it like where we live? Well, we bought a 2550+ square foot 2 story brick home with 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, and 7.25 acres. There's no such thing as an impact fee. You build what you want, when you want, where you want on your land. We have the most amazing mountain view from our front door. I'll try to attach a picture of it.

The neighbors are amazing. Within the first week nearly every neighbor had stopped to say hi and welcome us to the area. They have been of immense help to us from calling a friend that had a chain saw that would clear our land to finding a plumber. You name it.

The schools are incredible. Class sizes are 10 - 12 kids per class. They don't have the gazillions of dollars like Florida did, but they way more than make up for it. The teachers teach because they want to teach. And it shows. They take turns volunteering their time after school to tudor the kids for free.

We've been here since May and have seen prices really going up quick. There are some new developments that are charging a fortune. If you are looking for a gated community style neighborhood you won't get the deal we did. But if you are looking for a nice country home in a rural area with good hard working down to earth God fearing people, pack your bags and get up here now!! Trust me - you wont' regret it!!

The attachment isn't working for some reason, but if you PM or e-mail me I'll send it to you!!
Go to www.imageshack.com download your picture from My Photo's on your computer, when downloaded, click on Host it, after it appears highlight the Hot Link for forums (1), copy that, click on insert image here, and paste in URL box, and "walla" you got it.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:09 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamutz View Post
Two Miles?? If traffic is that bad, maybe it's time to throw on a pair of walking shoes and hoof it eh? A bike?
I run about five miles a day on the tread mill. The last thing I want to do is be out there breathing all that traffics fumes and forget about a bike here, you'll get killed. There are almost no bike lanes and it wouldn't matter anyway, they will still run you off the road.

We have hit and runs here on a daily basis, anyone on here who lives in south Florida and watches the news will confirm that. You know why? Because the driver is either drunk, an illegal alien, driving on a suspended license, or already has a warrant out on them and they can't take a chance stopping and talking to a cop. The worst part is, it will only get worse.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:15 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
Sure, Tennessee is great. If you don't need a job and don't have to work for a living. Otherwise you can live in Memphis or Nashville. Both of these cities are down right nasty! My neighbor lived in Knoxville and he said it was ok. I've been to Chatanooga, and it's about average, nothing all that great there.

So, unless you've made all the money you intend to make in your life and carve black-bear statues and sell them at the local flea market, Good Luck in Tennessee!

Some of want paradise, but need some traffic and concrete to survive as well. WELCOME TO FLORIDA!

Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
The last I checked Tennessee needed their children to be taught and their mail to be delivered-so I will be good to go there!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:02 PM

75 posts, read 269,822 times
mrs1885
You sound like a really nice person and our family would love to hear all about
your new town.....how wonderful for you and congrats....email me
if you don't mind all the info...sounds like a perfect town to me.
Kat

Old 10-28-2006, 04:14 AM

126 posts, read 280,475 times
Quote:
Who is this guy??

My family lived on the same island for 5 generations - back to the Calusa and Seminole indians. Before that they were on another neighboring island that they were forced to leave - perhaps some of you have heard of it - Everglades City?? Right outside of Everglades national park.

I happened to love where I lived. It was safe and everyone was so friendly. I'd never had moved were it not for the swarms of people moving there, bulldozing the beaches and building their high rise condos and McMansions on the beach. I moved to the town the island attached to via bridge. Over the next 15 years it became infected with drugs, gangs, violence, overpopulation, and a sky rocketing cost of living. So, yes, I moved my family out of there because I want something better for them. That makes me responsible for suicide and serial killers?? You can not be for real!! Please tell me you are joking!!
I'm not joking, just overstating some realitities, I'm glad you've found
the place that's right for you. You know as we grow older perceptions change,
I, for example use to love going to places that were packed with people, now I stay away from them, but would not criticize the people who enjoy it. I beleive that we become intolerant over time and do not notice it in the transition. Yes over time there have been comercialization and explotation of our enviroment, but to give up and move ahead destroying the rest of whatever is left as the other reader implies is not a solution, revitalization of urban areas has worked in many places. The fact is that we are destrying our habitat at a much fater pace than our population growth. Also there are very good and not so good places in Florida, and also in every other state in the nation.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,907 times
Sounds just like what we are going thru. Live in Florida and can barely survive. Looking for cheaper, less stress area and thought Tn would be great. Can you recommend some "good" cities near you. We were thing the Fall Creek Falls or Natchez Trace State Park areas. Also, how did you find your home? Through a realtor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida