Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,391 times

Advertisements

Hopefully you have enough money and your own care to do it...

"When it comes to helping seniors live independently and out of nursing homes, Florida ranks among the nation's worst.

AARP recently released its 2014 state-by-state scorecard on long-term care services, and Florida's retiree-friendly reputation earned an embarrassing black eye at 43rd."

Florida fails those who need long-term care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:32 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
FL isn't the only place with this problem.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:03 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post

AARP recently released its 2014 state-by-state scorecard on long-term care services, and Florida's retiree-friendly reputation earned an embarrassing black eye at 43rd."

Don't tell the 350K people who move here every year ... or the plethora of retirees clamoring to move here!

These 'editorial lists' are largely time-sensitive hyperbole - and rarely based on sustainable facts.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
or the plethora of retirees clamoring to move here!
I love your rhetoric

Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Don't tell the 350K people who move here every year ... or the plethora of retirees clamoring to move here!

These 'editorial lists' are largely time-sensitive hyperbole - and rarely based on sustainable facts.
AARP went through considerable effort to compile the information based on statistics and polling of those involved in the process, hardly time-sensitive hyperbole....and your response is indicative of the "head in the sand" approach to addressing issues in this state.

http://www.longtermscorecard.org/~/m...ct%20Sheet.pdf

Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Dont you realize no matter how much negative crap you post it is not going to change a thing.?

Your "home state" is being taken away from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Hopefully you have enough money and your own care to do it...

"When it comes to helping seniors live independently and out of nursing homes, Florida ranks among the nation's worst.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:45 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Who cares? I certainly didn't move to Florida with continuing care in mind. It was the weather, col, and the fishing that got me. If and when the time comes, I'll do much research and make a decision. But for now, I'll enjoy as much as I can.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Who cares? I certainly didn't move to Florida with continuing care in mind. It was the weather, col, and the fishing that got me. If and when the time comes, I'll do much research and make a decision. But for now, I'll enjoy as much as I can.
...and later, one can always pull a Juan Gaspar, wrap up in anchor chains, and rest in peace on the bottom of the gulf.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:12 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
AARP went through considerable effort to compile the information based on statistics and polling of those involved in the process, hardly time-sensitive hyperbole....and your response is indicative of the "head in the sand" approach to addressing issues in this state.

http://www.longtermscorecard.org/~/m...ct%20Sheet.pdf

There are probably a dozen "Florida is great or stinks lists" floating around at any given time. I like AARP, but, their editorials have gotten a little 'fluffy' and they seem to be biased in favor of their advertisers. Consumer Reports did a more objective, pretty well researched piece on healthcare (ALF, SNF, etc) a short time back that rated Florida near the top.

All I was really saying is that many of these editorial polls use a vague, non-standard criteria and a 'selective time-window' to best support the spin of their editorial headline (instead of vice-versa). -- Having one's 'head-in-the-sand' might more accurately describe believing everything one reads; NOT challenging hyperbole with a little bit of critical thinking.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:53 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
...and later, one can always pull a Juan Gaspar, wrap up in anchor chains, and rest in peace on the bottom of the gulf.
There are several conditions that I would consider "one way fishing trip" worthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: