Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:55 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
WTH is your point? We are talking about Florida, and NYers migrate to more places than just FL...Try TX, NV, GA, SC, NC, etc.....

My point is, as rents keep rising and wages remain stagnant Spring Hillians theory of supply/demand will stifle population growth in FL. "You cant eat heat" LMFAOOO

Its funny the only idiots that think FL is paradise are people from the northeast. I guess if I was from the same s***hole as most of you people, I would think this place was "paradise" too.
I would like you to point out where anyone but you have said that FL is a "paradise".

JAMBO has used it a lot too. Seems people originally from here really dont know what they have because they have not experienced life in other places. FL offers a lot more than NY does. It is a huge difference.

Sure people go to other places but it is here that is the subject matter.

As far as supply and demand goes, so long as there are enough people who are willing to pay the asking price the price will stay or go higher depending on how tight the supply becomes. Will it stifle population growth? Sure, but it won't put a stop to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 PM

790 posts, read 1,268,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Sure, but it won't put a stop to it.
But you and 2 other posters have just said NYers are FLEEING IN DROVES. What makes you think it cant happen here? the weather? LOL

Old 07-08-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
lol nice e-brag

Come to think of it, thats all you do is BRAG on this forum all day. I doubt you are as well off as you say you are...
I am not well off by a long shot. We bought a house in Orlando in 1989 for $62,500. We were going to sell it in 2002 and move to Spring Hill as our fondness of Orlando diminished The realtor told us he would list it at $160. We decided to stay as there was nothing pushing us out the door. In 2005 the push came. I was offered a huge pay cut at my job. We knew that the housing market in our area was booming thanks to our proximity to Baldwin Park and other improvements where the Navy Recruit Training Center was. I turned down the pay cut, gave 30 days notice and put the house on the market the next day. Our\ asking price was $250k. We wound up selling for a little less. We had a contract 16 days after we put it on the market.

We paid off all our bills at the closing table and came to SH and bought our current home with proceeds from the sale of the first one. In fact both deals closed on the same day. We paid about $30k too much for this house. In 2002 we could have gotten a similar home here for less than $90k. So no money. :-(

Brag? Some of you come up with wild accusations so i will say SHOW ME.

BTW - That house in Orlando is for sale right now. $150k on a short sale.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
But you and 2 other posters have just said NYers are FLEEING IN DROVES. What makes you think it cant happen here? the weather? LOL
We don't just SAY it. We can BACK IT UP.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+...a&channel=fflb

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dai...ntry-1.1686149

Florida is never going to be the megalopolis NY is. Its a very comfortable place to live. There is no reason to leave it. Not in my lifetime at least.

Those of us who left years ago were smart. I was gone in 88. Years before the deluge.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
But what the statistics don't take into account is that people also seem to apply for everything and anything, even if they don't really want the job.

Our office manager posts a job for a legal secretary (which, btw, we pay quite well for) and half the applications come in from people who have no experience and no business applying for that job. Frankly we are having trouble finding qualified people.

I think it's a function of having to show you applied to jobs in order to keep unemployment benefits.

HAHAHA. That happened to a friend of mine who was an office manager in a law firm in Orlando in 2003.
They put an ad in the paper for a paralegal and they got resumes from people who absolutely no legal
experience at all. They were everything but paralegals. That was the last time they put an ad in the paper.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:56 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Its not just FINANCE, its Heavy Pharma, Tech and basically any company with any clout in the public sphere you will find in places like Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Columbus, San Francisco, NY but yet all of you want to compare the COL here to NYC and say "oh thats normal".
Actually the majority of big pharma is in NJ, not NYC. Boston has the highest number of life science companies.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
WTH is your point? We are talking about Florida, and NYers migrate to more places than just FL...Try TX, NV, GA, SC, NC, etc.....

My point is, as rents keep rising and wages remain stagnant Spring Hillians theory of supply/demand will stifle population growth in FL. "You cant eat heat" LMFAOOO

Its funny the only idiots that think FL is paradise are people from the northeast. I guess if I was from the same s***hole as most of you people, I would think this place was "paradise" too.

By FAR New Yorkers migrate to Florida over any other destination. They don't call South Florida the sixth borough for nothing.

If/when people can't afford to live here, then yes, growth will slow. I don't understand your point? I do believe, however, that many areas in Florida are really trying to diversify the economy, at least around these parts. I read the economic development board news and follow their efforts. If this place doesn't work for you (and honestly, are you at the point where you've even tried, or are you speculating?), then you should definitely go somewhere else. Life is too short.

RE: Paradise? Depends, bro. I've got a slice of mine:

And yes, I'm originally from NE New Jersey but I was too young when I moved to Florida to really have any comparison (though I DO know the tiny apartment my family had with a view of the freeway wasn't anybody's definition of paradise).

Of course, all this doesn't mean I wouldn't live anywhere else, or that I'm married to Florida, but you keep your judgments to yourself until you've earned the right to pass it, mmkay?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The housing bubble got so big it had to burst. I profited nicely on it. Many lost a lot. That's life.
We lost what, 50k people in that two year span?

Seems to be that the state has been sustaining its growth for decades.

It has to max out some day.
I did quite well with the bubble as well. It was a cyclical repeat of the 80's market, without hyper-inflation.

The people who left were people who for the most part never should have come, and were hanging by a thread even during the good times.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
the 2 things that are cheaper than NYC or NJ are housing prices and property taxes that is about it, and I'm referring to South Florida not all of Florida..rents there are just as high as here in NY or NJ, Food here is def cheaper as I have saved quite a bit of money since moving back. Florida's Draw is the weather without a doubt, and people thinking its "cheap", an acquaintance of ours moved to S Florida and other than the housing she can't believe how expensive things are and Car Insurance is more in South Florida than here. She also took a pay cut to move, but her response I can't do the Winters up north anymore. North Carolina is a Mini NY and NJ even more so than Florida, when we lived there we felt like we were back in NJ and not in a good way aside from differences Florida's growth is no where near the Growth of GA, SC and NC at this point...

Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I did quite well with the bubble as well. It was a cyclical repeat of the 80's market, without hyper-inflation.

The people who left were people who for the most part never should have come, and were hanging by a thread even during the good times.
We just were in the right circumstances. It worked out great but will never happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida