Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 11:03 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

or does Florida require me to have a new one done here?

Thx much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 11:11 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
I am not a lwayer, but you are probably okay. Looking here:
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/f...-and-testament

the requirements in FL:
Quote:
The basic requirements for a Florida last will and testament include the following:

Age: The testator must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor.
Capacity: The testator must be of sound mind, which means capable of making decisions and reasoning, at the time the will is signed.
Signature: The will must be signed by the testator or by another person under his direction and in his presence.
Witnesses: Two competent witnesses must be present when the testator signs a Florida last will and testament in order for it to be valid. The witnesses must also sign the will in the presence of the testator and of each other. Witnesses may serve as a personal representative and/or receive a device under the will’s provisions.
Writing: Florida wills must be written. Holographic, or handwritten, wills are not recognized as valid in Florida.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:11 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
You should not rely on legal zoom or any layperson's advice. Each state has its own laws and Florida has among the highest probate costs which a simply will does nothing to avoid.

I don't know the size of your estate, but you put "will" in quotation marks: if you are looking to save the $200-$400 an hour it probably costs to consult with a good estate planning attorney, then it probably doesn't make a difference.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You should not rely on legal zoom or any layperson's advice. Each state has its own laws and Florida has among the highest probate costs which a simply will does nothing to avoid.

I don't know the size of your estate, but you put "will" in quotation marks: if you are looking to save the $200-$400 an hour it probably costs to consult with a good estate planning attorney, then it probably doesn't make a difference.
It's actually physical issues/hassles which I would like to avoid, so I'd rather be able to use my existing will.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:42 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
It's actually physical issues/hassles which I would like to avoid, so I'd rather be able to use my existing will.

Well, it all depends on the titling, complexity and amount of assets. In any case, a will does not avoid probate, and probate depends on the county in which you reside at time of decease.

If the amount warrants, you could talk to an estate planning professional by phone or even video conference, little physical movement and hassle involved; you could even send and receive documents by email/pdf and courier for wet signature, never leaving your house.

Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2015, 05:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
I was probably a little quick to answer, but I assumed a couple of things...

If you are not so worried as to think you must consult a lawyer then odds are there is not a major estate and likely not a big chance of any fight over it. If you have minor children and are providing for them monetarily as well as specifying who will raise them I doubt you would be asking here; you would go to a lawyer. If you have a complex family owned business, you would have already seen a lawyer. If I am wrong and there are complications, by all means see a lawyer.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
This is an excellent site that will tell you what you need to know for every state in the US. We used it for our wills and power of attorneys (living wills), and for other legal smegal things. If you feel you need an attorney, just go to their home page and you can have one in your area contact you w/ no commitment. This is an excellent website on all things legal. The second link gives you the history on the site, and the third link explains the difference between a will and a living will, or living trust. The fourth link is for estate planning and probate.

Making a Will: Are Lawyers Optional? | Nolo.com

Nolo - History | Nolo.com

Living Trust v. Will | Nolo.com

Wills, Trusts, Living Wills, Estate Tax, Probate & Estate Planning - Nolo.com

Originally, we had a lawyer draw up our wills many years ago. It was expensive and unnecessary, and the way they had been drawn up forced us to contact the lawyer to have the wills updated whenever there were even teensy tiny changes (for a fee). I saw what our lawyer did on the original now defunct wills, and feel 100% confident that what we have now, using the DIY info from the site above, is perfectly adequate. If you have anything really complicated, then an attorney may be necessary. Florida has some legalities that are peculiar to this state, especially regarding who gets what in the event that you do not have a will. Florida also requires specific ways to have the will(s) notarized and witnessed.

The living will is as important, or more important, than the will, as someone could be incapacitated and kept alive in a vegetative state on machines unless a clear legal document exists that cedes power of attorney to someone, so they can follow through on the last wishes in this event.

This will give you info on avoiding probate. If you leave behind estate debts, then a living trust will not avoid probate. I am not an attorney, but legal information is available and free. AVOIDING an attorney and courts is always a good idea if you possibly can. If one makes everything simple and concise, like using life insurance and I.R.As to disburse funds to beneficiaries and avoid probate, and understands the laws in the state in which they reside (which is public information that is always free to get), that is half the battle. If someone has complications, then an attorney is required.

http://www.floridaelderlaw.net/pdf/03-17-07.pdf

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ate-32070.html

http://www.deedclaim.com/florida/avoid-probate/

http://ohalllaw.com/2012/03/top-5-re...avoid-probate/

Last edited by smarino; 11-04-2015 at 11:25 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I deleted my last comment because I misunderstood this post. By "physical" I thought you were talking about End of Life issues. If you are too sick to travel, many attorneys will come to your home. I just used Google out of curiosity and there are attorneys in Clearwater who specialize in wills, trusts and elder law who will visit you at home. I'm sure if you call an attorney's office, someone will be happy to answer your question. Although some attorneys fit the stereotype of the greedy, uncaring, sleazeball, most of them are nice people, at least the ones I've met.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
This is an excellent site that will tell you what you need to know for every state in the US. We used it for our wills and power of attorneys (living wills), and for other legal smegal things. If you feel you need an attorney, just go to their home page and you can have one in your area contact you w/ no commitment. This is an excellent website on all things legal. The second link gives you the history on the site, and the third link explains the difference between a will and a living will, or living trust. The fourth link is for estate planning and probate.

Making a Will: Are Lawyers Optional? | Nolo.com

Nolo - History | Nolo.com

Living Trust v. Will | Nolo.com

Wills, Trusts, Living Wills, Estate Tax, Probate & Estate Planning - Nolo.com

Originally, we had a lawyer draw up our wills many years ago. It was expensive and unnecessary, and the way they had been drawn up forced us to contact the lawyer to have the wills updated whenever there were even teensy tiny changes (for a fee). I saw what our lawyer did on the original now defunct wills, and feel 100% confident that what we have now, using the DIY info from the site above, is perfectly adequate. If you have anything really complicated, then an attorney may be necessary. Florida has some legalities that are peculiar to this state, especially regarding who gets what in the event that you do not have a will. Florida also requires specific ways to have the will(s) notarized and witnessed.

The living will is as important, or more important, than the will, as someone could be incapacitated and kept alive in a vegetative state on machines unless a clear legal document exists that cedes power of attorney to someone, so they can follow through on the last wishes in this event.

This will give you info on avoiding probate. If you leave behind estate debts, then a living trust will not avoid probate. I am not an attorney, but legal information is available and free. AVOIDING an attorney and courts is always a good idea if you possibly can. If one makes everything simple and concise, like using life insurance and I.R.As to disburse funds to beneficiaries and avoid probate, and understands the laws in the state in which they reside (which is public information that is always free to get), that is half the battle. If someone has complications, then an attorney is required.

http://www.floridaelderlaw.net/pdf/03-17-07.pdf

Avoiding Probate in Florida | Nolo.com

Using Deeds to Avoid Probate of Real Estate in Florida | DeedClaim

Top 5 Reasons to Avoid Probate | Florida Probate Attorney
This is awesome. Thank you. I keep focusing on after life will, but I do need to do a living will, so it looks like at least one will need to be done in FL.

We are only talking $1,000,000 total and it is to wife first and 32 year old son second if wife not alive, so it should be very easy. Even a living will should be easy, because I will choose DNR at every opportunity possible.

Thx so much.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:32 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
You really need a Living Will, and you need a Health Care Surrogate form. The first you are aware of, the second lets designated people make medical decisions if you are incapacitated. This is above and beyond the Living Will. The spouse has that right automatically, but if both are incapacitated, say a wreck, then someone else needs to be able to do this.

Then you need a Designated Guardianship form. This allows someone to act on your behalf if you are incapacitated. Tis is different from the above as this allows someone to act on your financial acts, etc.

Florida Guardianship is a big scam. Horror stories are abundant about estates being plundered,people caught in the system and unable to get out of the judicial hellhole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: