Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Finally there needs to be an overhaul of the Medicaid system. It needs to be more HMO in nature.
FYI that was passed a few years ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/us/07florida.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 02:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
In 1986, Congress passed and President Regan signed the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). This required hospitals to treat anyone who showed up regardless of whether or not they could pay. For those that could not pay, the cost was tacked on to those that could- people who had insurance!

If you're going to go to the GOP, Tea Party, and Fox News talking points about not expanding (Medicaid- that's how it's spelled by the way) then why not just advocate repeal of this 1986 law. If you don't have insurance and you show up at the hospital, they can kick your sorry butt to the curb and say "Sorry, you can't pay, we can't treat you". None of the politicians has the balls to propose that. They'd rather try to repeal Obamacare 50 times with the mandatory insurance requirement and let those of us who have insurance continue to pay. BTW- I've never had a day in my life since I was born that I haven't had health insurance- that was either employer or personally paid for.

My husband is already on Medicare and he can go anywhere in the country and find a doctor. If you have private insurance, you're only covered in ONE state! Blue Cross Blue Shield is the only company that started covering people for 2 states when Obamacare kicked in. Unfortunately, they only have 2 state coverage in 31 of the 50 states. The 19 that are not included all have REPUBLICAN governors. That means if we're at our house in FL and I have to go to a doctor, I have to pay out of pocket or fly back up to NJ. By 2016 all insurers will be required to offer multi-state (although, I'll be on Medicare by then).

Total insanity- There should have been a public option (I'd love to purchase Medicare coverage) or Medicare should have been expanded to everyone and cut out the profit from the insurance companies.
You are VERY mistaken about BC/BS. We are covered by my husband's employer based out of NJ through BC/BS. We have lived in Florida for 10 years, covered under the same policy the entire time. We have ALWAYS paid in-network for ANY doctor we choose to see who accepts BC/BS in ANY state. That includes CA, NY, and PA, where we have also seen doctors. This is all LONG before Obamacare.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
FYI that was passed a few years ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/us/07florida.html
It's obviously not working very well. They are still at the ER's left and right.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:39 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,442 times
Quote:
You are VERY mistaken about BC/BS. We are covered by my husband's employer based out of NJ through BC/BS. We have lived in Florida for 10 years, covered under the same policy the entire time. We have ALWAYS paid in-network for ANY doctor we choose to see who accepts BC/BS in ANY state. That includes CA, NY, and PA, where we have also seen doctors. This is all LONG before Obamacare.
That's because your husband's employer negotiated that. I would assume his employer may be rather large and in multiple locations.That's like some of the public sector and union workers (police and teachers) that have wonderful coverage, but if they were to leave that employer, they couldn't buy that coverage even if they were willing to pay for it. If you're looking for an individual policy or you're a small business, you're out of luck. I've looked for a multi-state policy for NJ and FL and can't buy one.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
That's because your husband's employer negotiated that. I would assume his employer may be rather large and in multiple locations.That's like some of the public sector and union workers (police and teachers) that have wonderful coverage, but if they were to leave that employer, they couldn't buy that coverage even if they were willing to pay for it. If you're looking for an individual policy or you're a small business, you're out of luck. I've looked for a multi-state policy for NJ and FL and can't buy one.
So in effect, you admit you were wrong when you stated, "Blue Cross Blue Shield is the only company that started covering people for 2 states when Obamacare kicked in." Maybe YOU were unable to buy the coverage you wanted, but that doesn't mean multi-state coverage didn't exist prior to Obamacare. Perhaps you shouldn't make such blanket statements.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Canada's single-payer worked so well (sarcasm), they had to out-source care to PRIVATE, FOR-PROFIT practices because the government single-payer system could not provide timely, appropriate care for patients

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/in.../26canada.html
Yes a friend needs expensive medication for a life threatening illness and the Canadian system will not pay for it ... unless you belong to an Indian Tribe, are a refugee or in prison. Go figure. Want that here?

Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,442 times
Quote:
So in effect, you admit you were wrong when you stated, "Blue Cross Blue Shield is the only company that started covering people for 2 states when Obamacare kicked in." Maybe YOU were unable to buy the coverage you wanted, but that doesn't mean multi-state coverage didn't exist prior to Obamacare. Perhaps you shouldn't make such blanket statements.
Lucky you! You better hope your husband doesn't lose his job or the company doesn't cut his retirement benefits- like that never happens or you'll end up like the rest of us common people.

Last edited by macrodome2; 07-19-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Lucky you! You better hope your husband doesn't lose his job or the company doesn't cut his retirement benefits- like that never happens or you'll end up like the rest of us common people.
I could always pick up BC/BS through my employer, no biggie. As far as retirement benefits, not counting on anything but our 401K/IRA/other savings. Interest on the savings will be enough to take care of necessities and have some left over each month. The promised pension and SS payments will fund our travel plans. If they aren't there, we just won't travel as much.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes a friend needs expensive medication for a life threatening illness and the Canadian system will not pay for it ... unless you belong to an Indian Tribe, are a refugee or in prison. Go figure. Want that here?
Knowing what Canadian and British friends have gone through trying to get medical treatment in their respective countries, no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida