Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:19 AM

148 posts, read 604,745 times

Advertisements

Monticello, 30 miles east of Tallahassee, has a very old Florida feel to it. I haven't been to Madison, but I think it is similar.

I live in the Dade City area now and am constantly looking at areas of Florida around here and have considered Gainesville or Tallahassee. But, I am looking for a combination of 'real neighborhoods that are quaint and charming (at least some trees left on the lots instead of this zero-lot madness) plus hip, trendy restaurants, etc. (and minus the hurricane vulnerability). Anyway, for me, it is impossible to find what I want within reason, I think, in Florida.

But, imo, all of central Florida is going to hell in a handbasket b/c of developer greed and politicians who are selling us out. Every day I pick up the newspaper there are ongoing battles...Angelos Aggregate is pushing to put in a 'waste-to-energy' landfill in Dade City near the Green Swamp which many think could jeopardize Tampa Bay's water supply as they don't trust what Angelo's says about safeguards (most locals and even Pam Iorio, Tampa's mayor, are against it). CSX is bullying its' way to get a hub in Winter Haven and run many more trips through downtown Lakeland and also Plant City/Dade City). They say CSX getting its way will completely kill any hope of getting any kind of rapid transit between Tampa and Orlando. Some big landowners in Polk County (along w/Jeb Bush's help), are planning some highway to connect Polk County to south Florida. Developers do what they please environmentally when they start building these malls in Pasco County (& everywhere).

Yeah, we still have pretty pastures and cows grazing on them now...but those poor babies are going to be gone, gone, gone in 5-10 years (for sure, once the housing slump turns around).

So, I'd say outside of Gainesville or Tallahassee in adjacent counties are your best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 AM

137 posts, read 550,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
Monticello, 30 miles east of Tallahassee, has a very old Florida feel to it. I haven't been to Madison, but I think it is similar.

I live in the Dade City area now and am constantly looking at areas of Florida around here and have considered Gainesville or Tallahassee. But, I am looking for a combination of 'real neighborhoods that are quaint and charming (at least some trees left on the lots instead of this zero-lot madness) plus hip, trendy restaurants, etc. (and minus the hurricane vulnerability). Anyway, for me, it is impossible to find what I want within reason, I think, in Florida.

But, imo, all of central Florida is going to hell in a handbasket b/c of developer greed and politicians who are selling us out. Every day I pick up the newspaper there are ongoing battles...Angelos Aggregate is pushing to put in a 'waste-to-energy' landfill in Dade City near the Green Swamp which many think could jeopardize Tampa Bay's water supply as they don't trust what Angelo's says about safeguards (most locals and even Pam Iorio, Tampa's mayor, are against it). CSX is bullying its' way to get a hub in Winter Haven and run many more trips through downtown Lakeland and also Plant City/Dade City). They say CSX getting its way will completely kill any hope of getting any kind of rapid transit between Tampa and Orlando. Some big landowners in Polk County (along w/Jeb Bush's help), are planning some highway to connect Polk County to south Florida. Developers do what they please environmentally when they start building these malls in Pasco County (& everywhere).

Yeah, we still have pretty pastures and cows grazing on them now...but those poor babies are going to be gone, gone, gone in 5-10 years (for sure, once the housing slump turns around).

So, I'd say outside of Gainesville or Tallahassee in adjacent counties are your best bet.
I live in a small town about 20mins SW of Gainesville and I work in Gainesville and it is a very affordable arrangement. Levy county offers lower taxes than Alachua and you can live in neighborhoods that offer over an acre with your home, with a lot less restrictions. Homeowners insurance is better in this area too! Gainesville has some very nice "older" areas in it but the newer ones are just like everywhere else, overbuilt and overpriced but I still love it here! I happen to love Tallahassee too and I think it would be a great place to live! I agree Gainesville, Tallahassee, Ocala and the surrounding "smaller" areas are some of the best this state has to offer! That's just my "small town" opinion!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM

29 posts, read 25,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Yes, but keep an eye on those county commissioners.
Why do you say that Cil? Corrupt?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Since you live so close to the water now, I think you may like some of the small coastal towns Southwest of Tallahassee.

Check out St. Marks, Carabelle, Panacea, Sopchoppy, etc.

DEFINITELY "Old Florida" living can be found in these areas.... but you're not TOO far from Tallahassee or Panama City.

I mean, honestly, Alabama? They have an income tax there. Not good for the self-employed.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:31 AM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
Remember, though, Polk Co. is where the recent murders took place last week(see the news thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Try Polk County, here where I live. I am in Lakeland, the largest city in Polk which is more built up, but has preserved all the old buildings, has a very "vintage old Florida" look to it. All the other towns are much smaller and very charming (I really love Winter Haven!) It is more reasonable here than other parts of Florida and between towns it is still rural, although it is diminishing. Still, Polk County is HUGE, the largest land area in Florida I believe, and this just might be your ticket, if you don't have to be on the coast. It has a real community feel, and in fact was one of only 10 places in the country to be named "All American Community" based on civic pride and community spirit.
Might be worth checking out!

If this is still not your cup of tea, I recommend Dade City where we just moved from. A very small town, it still has its rural roots, and has beautiful rolling hills, looks more like North Carolina. It does have a commercial corridor (Highway 30) with a few big box stores but even those have cows in between.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:15 PM

244 posts, read 405,689 times
I would suggest Walton, North Okaloosa, Holmes, and Jackson Counties.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:48 PM

124 posts, read 415,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
With much of Florida changing for the worst, is it possible to still find an economically viable lifestyle in north Florida? I am looking for a place less like Miami and more like the "old Florida". A place where 3 times your annual salary buys a nice home on acerage, a place where a corrupt county does not harass you out of business. A place where condos and HOA's do not exist. It may have some run down buildings, and shack-like homes but it is relatively safe. There are still 2 lane roads that pass through forest and farms. You might even see a train go by. Does this exist or has all of Florida become a planned community or strip mall?
I don't know about North Florida, but the upper keys are nicde... I graduated from CHSH and loved living in Tavernier. Now between taxes and insurance, and the weekend and holiday traffic from Miami... Key Largo isn't the same

Still, I wish I could trade places with you. I'm stuck in Kendall for the next couple of months because my home didn't sell, and I can't afford living in two states.

If I wasn't so depressed, I'll be singing right now.....Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Clementine,.....

Gosh, life was much much simpler in 1968

Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
So basically the whole state is ruined? Time to go to Alabama?
Forget Alabama, it is full.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM

41 posts, read 149,234 times
north florida is extremely boring

Old 02-04-2008, 06:13 PM

440 posts, read 2,426,427 times
Not really sure what you are looking for but since you said Northwest Florida, check out these links:

Defuniak Springs
City of Defuniak Springs
Photos of Defuniak Springs

Defuniak is less than an hours drive to the beaches of South Walton but definitely away from condos and you will even find those railroad tracks you mentioned. If you need any additional info, we would be happy to try and help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida