Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
According to many posters on the CD forums Florida is the worse of the worse places to be.
Low paying jobs, hot weather, hurricanes, bugs, high cost of living, high insurance prices,
lousy people, useless governments at all levels, crime, corrupt police - the list goes on.

What I consistently wonder is why don't these people who are in need of high paying jobs, a house in a perfect place, change of seasons, better supermarkets, better roads, better people, lower costs of living, etc simply move on instead of living such lives of misery?

I also wonder what brought them here in the first place. I wonder why they gave up great lifestyles to downgrade so much. Did they have a gleam in their eyes thinking FL was a nirvana where everyday is a day at the beach or riding Space Mountain? Did they just decide they didnt want to have a high paying job where the everything was reasonable?

I've heard the ridiculous responses. "I had to come here for family reasons" is the most prominent.
I would think that those people would have been better off staying where they were and relocating the family members so that those family members could escape the hell in which they were.

I don't think that people wake up one morning and decide that they are moving to Florida without any knowledge of the place they intend to live. I dont think that people left "high paying jobs", perfect neighborhoods, perfect neighbors, stores that carried everything they could not live without to jump into the abyss of the unknown.

So tell us, what brought you here and more important, if you dont like anything about the state why are you still here?

I don't expect much response because I don't think that those who are so unhappy here dont know why they are unhappy and blaming the state is the easier way to deal with it.
Such posts are on every forum as no one will ever find a truly perfect place and they will think the grass is always greener somewhere else. They don't like where they are and usually they won't like where they go until ................ they have been around a lot, experienced life and are now looking at retirement and then FL looks pretty good. When young?, So Cal where I grew up. Now, not a chance.

I am looking to move one last time so I am looking at positives and negatives and ... ignoring the people who simply hate where they are.

Last edited by expatCA; 07-25-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
We can no longer afford to live where we wish to live, so we live in Florida. I actually like the land, birds, beaches, water, etc, but all the right wing FOX news watching people and the rude east coast Yankees make living here a terrible experience for us liberals w/ an education. Not the New Yorkers, I like them a lot. Sorry, but I have met more stupid and in-your-face racists here than I have ever met anywhere else, and I'm from Mississippi! They actually seem to feel they're entitled and proud to be ignorant and prejudiced. It's that whole phony god and country crowd w/ their holier than thou self satisfied superiority, flying their American flags from their cars!!! (something I have NEVER seen anywhere else, not even in Texas). The politics here is beyond belief. It wasn't this bad 20 years ago when I lived here. Now, it's something, I tell 'ya! I expect and hope we'll move eventually. Where there's a will there's a way. Maybe it's like that only here in Volusia county, but I doubt it.
People flying American flags? My God! How dare they?

They all told you they watch Fox News and that they are right wing?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
People flying American flags? My God! How dare they?

They all told you they watch Fox News and that they are right wing?
Don't worry I ignore such. Isn't "liberal education" an oxymoron?

Just funnin.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
^^^

Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
m

In 25 years here I have never met a person who came here on a whim. Either they had a job waiting for them or they knew their skills and abilities were in demand. So I dont find it very common. Anyone who does move anywhere without a plan is doomed from the start.

If they cant leave for some reason does it help them to hate it? To constantly think how lousy their lives are? Even with the reasons for staying that you listed none of them would keep me somewhere I despised. Kids go to new schools, college credits transfer, family issues? If there were issues a thats a better reason to move on to greener pastures. The thing is Ive never seen one of these complainers state a reason they are here and what keeps them here.

Margaritaville lifestyle? For a retiree sure. For the working stiff, no way.
I have met plenty, more common before the boom, the downturn caused many to leave and go back where they came from. Now the tide is changing, more coming in and many twenty somethings, no job, no college education, no skills, drug addition, faces appear on police blotters....how do I know this? I have met and got to know a number of people who have kids that fit this, their parents are divorced, Mom or Dad moved back to NY or some other state typically in the Northeast...and the kids left, but then came back. Some cannot hold a job, live with their parent or step-parent or shack up with friends. I can count on both hands more people I know or friends of friends I know who have these issues.

Margaritaville Lifestyle is not just retirees, it fit's most age groups and many do not have to work.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:07 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
m

In 25 years here I have never met a person who came here on a whim. Either they had a job waiting for them or they knew their skills and abilities were in demand. So I dont find it very common. Anyone who does move anywhere without a plan is doomed from the start.

If they cant leave for some reason does it help them to hate it? To constantly think how lousy their lives are? Even with the reasons for staying that you listed none of them would keep me somewhere I despised. Kids go to new schools, college credits transfer, family issues? If there were issues a thats a better reason to move on to greener pastures. The thing is Ive never seen one of these complainers state a reason they are here and what keeps them here.

Margaritaville lifestyle? For a retiree sure. For the working stiff, no way.
I moved here in the early 1980's without a plan. My parents moved here a few months earlier. I decided to take a leave of absence from my job on LI. Moved here with a few thousand dollars. Got a job within a week making more money then up there. Up there my rent was $600 for a one bedroom. Down here I had a nice 2 bedroom apt for $350. Now it is expensive and don't know if I would do it.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:20 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Hey Buc. I thought u were hear longer than 5 years. Yep, tends to stay cooler the further you move away from the equator. I have a sister in northern Maine, 100 miles north of Bangor, and it is 80 there today. It was -21 in January.
I went to USF for a couple of years, but settled here after a career in the military.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:11 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
I'm itching to go back home to CT but my problem at the moment is finding a job AND being able to assist my girlfriend in moving with me AND assuming she will be without a job for at least a few months.

With the high cost of living in CT idk how I'm going to be able to find a job that will be able to keep me in a decent enough area. Even at $21/hr I'll still be living check to check.

I'll get back home somehow though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida