Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,790 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are Chicago/Suburban natives and are actively looking for a home with a pool in SW Florida. Our realtors have shown us many, many homes and we are accumulating info as we go. We are in our late 60's and are no longer interested in boating, or in communities that offer a lot of amenities because I have back problems and wouldn't use them anyway. We are looking for a pleasant, relaxing place to live with our two dogs and perhaps enjoy a social life with like-thinking people.

We have found nice homes in four areas but are not sure which location would suit us the best. Two are in North Port: House number 1 in Charleston Park and House number 2 in Port Charlotte Sub 52. The next two are in Punta Gorda House Number 3 in Burnt Store Meadows (Punta Gorda Isles Sec. 18) and House Number 4 in Deep Creek (Punta Gorda Isles Sec. 20)

I'm especially concerned about North Port because there are so many overgrown, undeveloped lots in the area of the home. I realize North Port is huge. Are there better areas there? Deep Creek is nice but seems to be far away from everything like shopping and medical centers. I've looked up their website and saw reports of Wild Boar and a Bear being sighted. We plan to fence in a safe area for our dogs, but a bear is a bit much. Right now our favorite is Burnt Store Meadows. We prefer deed restricted, but the rules should not be overly restricting.

Is building a good option? I've heard lots have to be inspected for endangered critters like scrub jays and some type of turtle and this can cause a delay. We are also aware of staying out of low areas because of flooding and high insurance costs. There is so much to consider and we live so far away. We could use a little help before we take another trip to FL.

Which area is the best for us to buy an existing home or to build?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,623 times
Sarasota county is probably a better choice. Warning though, thee city of North Port is growing, and it's happening fast. Overall: Nicer people, better location as it is closer to beautiful Sarasota, average age 40s, most residents are families and home owners. I recommend you build a new home, since the prices are still low, this way you avoid roof, and pluming issues often encountered in older homes. Good luck, and welcome to Florida - I personally love North Port!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,976 times
I'm a Punta Gorda fan myself, west of I-75. My Florida house is in Valrico, east of Tampa, but I spent many a happy time at Harpoon Harry's in the Fishermen's Village in P.G.

Never saw a bear in all my time living there, but wild boar are common in the rural and grassy areas all over central and south Florida. On the backroads seeing vultures having a luau on a pig's carcass is not uncommon. Fortunately, the hogs tend to stay away from people and homes.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:27 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
North Port is originally part of the General Development of Charlotte Co, same as Port Charlotte. Just incorporated. Vacant lots are not unusual in this market, as well as green belts, etc.

The question is, do you want to deal only with the county, or do you want to pay for another level of government? You can get a home in a gated, restricted development and be in the county, or do the same and be in an incorporated town.

We decided that we didn't want a lot of people trying to run our lives so we bought in Port Charlotte. PGI is deed restricted with HOA dues, etc, but IMO better than North Port. The main shopping is either in Port Charlotte or North Port, and to the south in Fort Myers.

Just do your research as to whatever development and town you want to live in. Especially when dealing with an HOA. Be real cautious as to how they are run, restrictions, etc. you don't want to be blindsided as to restrictions, etc.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:14 AM

35 posts, read 84,789 times
I currently live in Cape Coral, which I love. So much to do, so much shopping, everything is convenient.. close to Ft Myers, less an an hour to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods in Naples, 3 hrs to Disney, 2.5 hrs to Tampa, 2.5 hrs to Miami, tons of thrift stores and consignment shop for great buys, close to Pine Island for seafood and island life yet only 1/2 hr from Sanibel. Prices on houses still very low. Would also look at Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. I have loads of friends there. Big dog society especially for the smaller dogs.. tons of meetups from Tampa to Port Charlotte. We have parties with our dogs all the time! It's a great life down here... if you want to email me personally at actionmgt@aol.com I can give you some contacts, or just go to SW Florida Chihuahua and other small dog meetup group on Facebook an ask a question about living there and I am sure plenty of people who live in the area, from Cape Coral all the way up to Tampe and everywhere in between will be happy to help you!

Old 08-10-2015, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
If you are still looking. .check cypress falls 55 and up in north port,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida